Blowing oil out of breathers

Hey turbo6, very interested to see what you find. I have the exact same issue, maybe even worse. I also have a new motor and am not running a pcv. Under normal driving and idle conditions my breathers are puffing along with the oil dipstick tube, but there are no major oil leaks. Thought it may be some steam related to e85, but it's too extreme. This year I'm finally throwing boost at it and there is a trail of smoke behind the car. Oil is also everywhere under the car. My next step is to use a camera and record the tailpipe while under boost. This will clarify if I'm actually burning oil or if it's pushing out and burning off on the headers/crossover. After that will be a leakdown. Like you my coolant and oil is also not cross contaminated. I feel your pain.

Bad rings make sense. Didn't think of a loose intake/bad gasket. If it was a head gasket shouldn't there be more issues or poor performance?

Hey turbo6, very interested to see what you find. I have the exact same issue, maybe even worse. I also have a new motor and am not running a pcv. Under normal driving and idle conditions my breathers are puffing along with the oil dipstick tube, but there are no major oil leaks. Thought it may be some steam related to e85, but it's too extreme. This year I'm finally throwing boost at it and there is a trail of smoke behind the car. Oil is also everywhere under the car. My next step is to use a camera and record the tailpipe while under boost. This will clarify if I'm actually burning oil or if it's pushing out and burning off on the headers/crossover. After that will be a leakdown. Like you my coolant and oil is also not cross contaminated. I feel your pain.

Bad rings make sense. Didn't think of a loose intake/bad gasket. If it was a head gasket shouldn't there be more issues or poor performance?

When i fired my new motor up a few months ago and gave it boost the first time it blew out a cloud of oil smoke. The problem was blocked breather baffels (rubber) the PCV was in place. Under boost it pused oil out the rear main seal and onto the exhaust cross over pipe. Fixed the bloced baffels and all is good now.

I'm just reading this and it sounds weird and confusing.

In the beginning you started out saying you have the boost turned down to 17 psi and the timing turned way down also.So the first time you started the engine up this season it started blowing oil out of the breathers? What boost were you running last season when you parked the car and you said it wasn't blowing oil out of the breathers then.

What happened between last season and this season? Did you take the car out and run it hard before it started blowing oil and then you turned the boost down to 17 psi to see if it would stop?

When was the engine broken in? In your posted reply in #22 and #25 you only drove it a few times easy not many miles since the engine was installed.

I do hope you find out what is causing this problem.

I'm just reading this and it sounds weird and confusing.

In the beginning you started out saying you have the boost turned down to 17 psi and the timing turned way down also.So the first time you started the engine up this season it started blowing oil out of the breathers? What boost were you running last season when you parked the car and you said it wasn't blowing oil out of the breathers then.

What happened between last season and this season? Did you take the car out and run it hard before it started blowing oil and then you turned the boost down to 17 psi to see if it would stop?

When was the engine broken in? In your posted reply in #22 and #25 you only drove it a few times easy not many miles since the engine was installed.

I do hope you find out what is causing this problem.

I've always had the boost turned down to 17 (the lowest it'll go) since the build in 2010. It's never blew oil from the breathers until this season. The car never seen the street in 2011, and only a drive or two in 2012. Went WOT once or twice for second in 2012. 2013, she went for a few more spirited drives but not many. This was the first season it's run ok, and I've had the confidence to really get on it. (I've had to rewire a lot of components myself during the last 2 years) The car has never run hot since the rebuild. Has always stayed around 170 regardless. (this F body rad is really nice) These last few weekends it has been sporadic. Constantly jumping from 163 or so, to 180 back and forth. Although it has been hot out during my last few outings, I'm not sure that's the problem. These are the classic signs of an air pocket but... how did it get in there from last season? Or from 2 months ago? This car leaks oil and trans fluid like a stuck pig. I threw in an RJC pcv, but have only revved it up in the garage since then. Haven't driven it yet. Also had a alky leak at the inline filter. That would probably be why I had knock when I put my timing back to alky levels 2 weekends ago. I stayed out of it then. I fixed that leak yesterday and am going to take it out soon when there's no clouds in the sky. (probably never lol) I have a water pump on the way (mines probably factory honestly) and when I throw that on, I'm going to put distilled water and RMI25 back into it and see what she does. I ran this combo in both my GN and GS for a few seasons and my cars stayed really cool for a long time. It really does make a significant difference. At least for me, at that time. I will report back with the effects of this new pcv valve soon. I will do a leak down here asap and see the real deal. Though I read one of Bison's posts about how fixing bad ring sealing doesn't really help with HP much. And I've also read that on the internet too. What do you guys say?

I will report back with the effects of this new pcv valve soon

Soooo... What can you tell us?