Blowing oil out of breathers

Turbo6Smackdown

I have my boost all the way down (17psi) and my timing backed off to non alky timing (for now) and I'm blowing oil out of both valve cover breathers. Just a little on the pass. side but a decent amount on the driver's side. Why now? It didn't do this last season. Any ideas?

Repair the PCV, headgasket, or ring/ringland issue you likely have. Probably one of those 3.

Start with PCV, then check leakage with compressed air to try and determine if it is one of the other 2.

If a head gasket blew out into the valley it will pressurize the block. Pressurizing the block will send oil out any opening or make an opening for it.

I see. If I did in fact have a minor leak internally, what other symptoms would I be getting?

Nevermind, it came to me. Low coolant, increase in operating temps... Shit... Let me do some checking lol.

Last edited:
Possibly few to none until the cylinder pressure cranks. Sometimes the gaskets will "push" and crack and stuff like that and still hold some cylinder pressure when your not making power.

With piston/ring problems you may burn some oil, and otherwise run around fine till under more boost.

Do a leakdown after double checking your pcv.

Possibly a loss of water, if it is minor it will evaporate and not turn the oil in to a milk shake. Sludge will collect on the underside of the intake manifold, you will find tiny water drops on the bottom of the breathers flat rubber seals.

Also check for bubbles in the coolant tank in case any compression is making it's way over to water. But it doesn't sound like you're that bad yet.

The seal could be just compromised enough for the engine to run OK but it will feel down on power if in boost.

Radiator's full (cold), no oil that I can see in it, and no wierdness on the dipstick. Hmm... More investigation.

It's possible the pcv is leaking boost into the block if it's not sealing good.

Same thing just happened to my buddy, turned out to be a catastrophic failure of the headgasket on #1. No white smoke (coolant) out the exhaust, lots of blue smoke (oil) though. Cost him $1200 for a local Buick guy to replace both sides with Cometics.

You could just pull the valve and stick another one or a cork in the hole. You kinda need the valve hooked to the hose on the vac block as the tune expects that small metered leak.

Pull out the pcv and try blowing through it. If it stops your bad breath good if it doesn't nfg.

I already know what's going to happen... Even though I don't sound too car savvy, I have worked on them for about 20 years now, and I know you're not going to believe me but, I've never seen a faulty pcv valve before. They always work. Not good news actually.

Last edited:
I already know what's going to happen... Even though I don't sound too car savvy, I have worked on them for about 20 years now, and I know you're not going to believe me but, I've never seen a faulty pcv valve before. They always work. Not good news actually.
Do a search (something you should learn to do) and you will find hundreds of posts from members that have had pcv valves that let boost back into the engine, even brand new AC Delco ones.

It's possible the pcv is leaking boost into the block if it's not sealing good.

Have another question. If both of my valve covers are vented, do I even really need a pcv system in place then? I shouldn't need vacuum right? Wouldn't pressure have a really hard time building up if I have a breather on both valve covers?