Best Turbo for a 2800 Stall Converter

BOP4ever

I am wondering I like my 9.5" non locking 2800 converter and was wondering what turbo would make the best power in the passing lane... I really don't race much and if I get into a little play it is more likely a short go from a roll to or from work nothing extreme probably a 40 to 80-90 run... Id like the car to a beast when you hit the throttle and pull hard up top. I don;t really want a looser convert and loose more MPG .... May end up with a lock up back in it one day even.

I currently had a TE44 I was looking to put in it fwiw.

Precision T61 (billet wheel)...

wotmstore_2169_596645151

That would depend on the 2800 converter used and the rest of the combo. Both of my cars go 40-100mph in about 4 sec. Maybe even quicker if the black one had traction. With a ptc I would run a ball bearing turbo with a different stator than I do now if I was looking for even more performance in that range. A 10" 2800 would be a lot cause in my application. To get the most you need the converted built for the application

If you have it...try it out. It will allow you to see first hand what you like and don't like about it. Do you really see 2800@1 psi?

I have a TE-44 and a converter that stalls about 3k. The 44 is bad ass with this converter. Give it a shot.

I have a TE-44 and a converter that stalls about 3k. The 44 is bad ass with this converter. Give it a shot.

x2...my 44 is GREAT with a stall. And my precision stalls at 2700 at 0-1psi and it's rated much higher than that...

Thanks for the replies.
I'll put it back together after I do some mild home porting on the heads with rhe TE44 and see what it is like.
Hoping to hang with the new 5.0 mustangs and camaro's when it goes back.
The converter is a Redneck 2800 9.5 that seems great on the road.

Thanks for the replies.
I'll put it back together after I do some mild home porting on the heads with rhe TE44 and see what it is like.
Hoping to hang with the new 5.0 mustangs and camaro's when it goes back.
The converter is a Redneck 2800 9.5 that seems great on the road.

New Camaros, no problem... Even a new Boss 302 with drag radials runs 11.8ish @ 117 so you can do it with what you have...maybe not that turbo but you are close. Stock turbo and alky should at least keep you with new 5.0 Mustangs on the street.

my vote is a 6262 billet wheel and it will need a ball bearing center... i can get my 6262 JB to spool up on my super tight 26-2700 stall but i gotta powerbrake the PI$$ out of it for a little over 7-8 seconds

Good to know on the 6262. I've been wanting to go that route but will need to save for the ballbearing center.

Good to know on the 6262. I've been wanting to go that route but will need to save for the ballbearing center.
You would be much better off spending the extra $ on a 9.5" ptc and running a journal turbo. Unlike the 7-8 sec example above the proper 2800 stall will spool a journal 62 in one second. In his example it wouldn't matter if he had a ball bearing. It would still spool slow.

You would be much better off spending the extra $ on a 9.5" ptc and running a journal turbo. Unlike the 7-8 sec example above the proper 2800 stall will spool a journal 62 in one second. In his example it wouldn't matter if he had a ball bearing. It would still spool slow.

My JB 6265 spools very quickly with 9.5" PTC and DLS 218/218 cam. Waiting for spring to get to the track.

well yea.....but even if you went with a jb and a nice 2800 ptc,i just dont see you getting much more than 4-6 psi in the launch.

if it was my bag and i had the cash to swap parts on my car, id put that 6262 jb on a 30-3200 stall.... or a 6262 bb on a 2800 then you'd have some dirty fast hole shots and good top end efficiency out of a ptc

Thanks. I like my current converter though so I'll probably just stick with the TE44 then. I just got a CAS V4 and will see what that gets me this year. There may be a 30psi C16 pass in my future... If I go 6262 though, I'll change my converter. 2700 is the best I can do right now @ 0-1psi.

My JB 6265 spools very quickly with 9.5" PTC and DLS 218/218 cam. Waiting for spring to get to the track.
Yup. Mine did too. Under 1.5 sec to 27psi on the trans brake with c16.

It n
Why does a 2800 non lock 9.5" spool su much better than a lockup 2800 10"?
it not only spools better it will cruise better the the 10" unlocked, the car will 330' much better, abd it will nearly lock up up top. It's a combo specific converter with a custom stator and is lighter than a LU converter. you give up about 4-5% on light cruise with the 9.5" sometimes it seems like less than that.

It n it not only spools better it will cruise better the the 10" unlocked, the car will 330' much better, abd it will nearly lock up up top. It's a combo specific converter with a custom stator and is lighter than a LU converter. you give up about 4-5% on light cruise with the 9.5" sometimes it seems like less than that.
So Bison I am getting a transmission rebuilded,I have a TA49 Turbo with 42lbs injectors, 206/206 flattappet cam, alky ,3inch dp,2.5 exhaust and all that other good stuff.My Question for you is which would be the best converter for my setup,the 9.5 Protorque 2800-3000 stall non lock or the lockup.

my vote is a 6262 billet wheel and it will need a ball bearing center... i can get my 6262 JB to spool up on my super tight 26-2700 stall but i gotta powerbrake the PI$$ out of it for a little over 7-8 seconds

Something is wrong with your car.