Beretta Turbo

alright. the build as of right now is as follows:
*Corvette C6 drivetrain and suspension
*bored and stoked T/A engine block W/ iron heads
*Goal of 500 Hp or more [boost no higher that 25 PSI]
*modified tunnel/firewall
*removed front strut mounts
*make a frame to support front and rear sus. and reduce body twist

go find a cheap H body, or a 70s nova, 70s camaro, mini trucks, lots of easier wiser choices.

I concur. IMO converting a FWD car to a RWD car is like converting a 2WD truck to a 4WD truck...sure it can be done, if you don't mind spending the extra $$$ and man hours to do it. Much cheaper and easier to start off with a RWD platform. And then take the extra $$ you saved by not having to convert to RWD and use it for more go-fast parts.

the word "easy" usualy comes a lot with "done often".

Done often....yes...for a reason.

Converting a FWD car to a RWD car...you have your work cut out for you. Not that it could not be done but you're looking at spending a ton of money for a teenager on a practically worthless car. But to each his own.

i never saw a point in spending your money on a car that is already known to be fast. the point of the car isnt to be a 1/4 mile killer, more of a shock and awe car, and to be STREET DRIVEN.

Here's a car I've been kind of looking for that you don't see at all anymore. It's actually in pretty decent shape and the special body package is still complete.

Attachments

• Image012.jpg
    Image012.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 310
  • Image013_2.jpg
    Image013_2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 305
  • Image021.jpg
    Image021.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 292
Here's a car I've been kind of looking for that you don't see at all anymore. It's actually in pretty decent shape and the special body package is still complete.

NOW that is F***ing cool man!

thats what i think would be a bitchen car to put all of that work into.

i would cry for days if my new vette got outrun by that!

A.j.

I forgot they even made those things. I remember Car Craft put a blown buick in one of those in the 80's. Neat build but if I remember they had drive line issues at the time.

Yeah, it would be pretty cool to use the driveline from one of the AWD 6000STE and put it under there and install an L67 S/C 3800. Wouldn't be too difficult since the front drive X and A cars are very similar.

The best thing to do would be to cut the entire floor out,loosing the trunk floor as well.A square tube frame could be constructed,providing you have or can build a frame table. Your beretta body is too narrow to accept a full width vette front or rear cradle,so you'll need to build a jig to set up the front end, using the vette uprights,upper-n-lower control arms, taking into account the need to build in all the propper geometry to make the car handle properly. The same goes for the rearend.You'll have to jig up the center section,the suspension pickup points,etc..Not to mention you'll have to get custom legnth half shafts made. To get the motor to fit under the hood line,you'l need to radicaly set the motor back under the cowl,and prey it'll fit without laying the oil pan on the ground. Of coarse you could always dry sump the motor to pick up a few extra inches of room.Once you've figured out frame design,ride height,wheel and tire combo,brake package,radiator placement ,inner cooler placement,you've plumbed the I/C,brake,and fuel lines,you've figured out how to route exhaust under something that(had better) sits too low,you can now figure out how to attatch the body to the frame.Tying into the rockers is a good start. Then you can build new floor pans,including all the braces for the seats,the body,the tranny tunnel,fire wall,and trunk pan. Because the motor is tucked under the cowl,you'll have to build a custom dash.The interior plastic should work after you modify all of it.You might get lucky and be able to re-use the the body wiring harness after you boil it down to just the things you need. The engine harness should be taken care of with a fast system.Now you can blow it all apart and paint everything, then put it all back together again.I would also suggest upgrading the body to the GTZ stuff.That stuff will look alot cooler than the standard issue Beretta. There's alot of ways to skin this cat.If you hack a bunch of sh!t together,you'll end up with a hacked together hunk of sh!t.This is a massive undertaking,requiring massive amounts of time,work,skill,and especially MONEY! good luck, Chris

thats kind of the plan. i want to build a square tube frame that bolts to the underbody to tie everything together and to make a "hidden" rollcage [the way the paneling is designed would allow for a small tube rollcage to be hidden]. the rear and front C6 suspension would have to be shortened[width wise] to fit correctly, but i planned on flareing the fender wells out about 3/4"-1" on both sides. the more i think about it the more i know this is going to be a long project. i just want to continue doing research so i know exactly what i need to do in order to make all this work. but first things first, i need to get my car media blasted;)

I local guy here in Indiana cut down a G body chassis and mounted his Baretta body to it with an 87 GN driverrain back in the early 90's. If I can track him down, I will get any pictures I can get ahold of.

cool, that would help me a lot. that would give me a good idea of where the engine should go and how it fits in a beretta.

I just thought I'd drop a dealer brochure pic of that Olds Omega Sport.

Attachments

• IMGomega1-1.jpg
    IMGomega1-1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 350
GM sure did a great job of making even the FWD compacts with a little eye candy jazz to make up for lack of power.

GM sure did a great job of making even the FWD compacts with a little eye candy jazz to make up for lack of power.

my beretta's 3.1 isnt all that bad. in the 2,800 lb car and for daily driving its got quite a bit of acceleration, but once you hit 60 its like hitting a brick wall. the fact theres ZERO aftermarket for the 3.1 makes it damn near impossible to get anything out of them. fastest N/A time is in the high 13's. so shooting for the 11's for me is all i want, this is going to be a DD when all bugs are worked out, if it ever gets off the ground.

my beretta's 3.1 isnt all that bad. in the 2,800 lb car and for daily driving its got quite a bit of acceleration, but once you hit 60 its like hitting a brick wall. the fact theres ZERO aftermarket for the 3.1 makes it damn near impossible to get anything out of them. fastest N/A time is in the high 13's. so shooting for the 11's for me is all i want, this is going to be a DD when all bugs are worked out, if it ever gets off the ground.

I was referring to the pic of that Omega sport, just above my other post. :wink:

May I suggest spending that 100k on a mechanical engineering education? I mean then you could work on the car in conjunction with the things you are learning in school. You will learn techincal skills and a degree. End result, you will have something valuable tied to your name...and the car knowing that it was built correctly (not to downgrade people who build there cars with no formal knowledge by any means). Sorry, I just can't imagine having a budget of 100k and using it on a berreta....but thats my .02

May I suggest spending that 100k on a mechanical engineering education? I mean then you could work on the car in conjunction with the things you are learning in school. You will learn techincal skills and a degree. End result, you will have something valuable tied to your name...and the car knowing that it was built correctly (not to downgrade people who build there cars with no formal knowledge by any means).

im joining the USMC, and hope to gp tp college for free. i may take mechanical engineer courses, but i never want a degree. spending time on POINTLESS classes like engish or history are not going to fly with me.

Sorry, I just can't imagine having a budget of 100k and using it on a berreta....but thats my .02

what i dont understand is why is spending $100k on a 57 chevy bel air is any different from spending $100K on a beretta? just because no one has done it before doesn't mean its not worth it. I have been known to think out of the box, and do things other people might find not worth the effort, but the end product is something they wish they had/did.

When your done spending you money all you'll have is strange Berratta that is not worth a third of what what you put into it. All you have to do is watch a few of those car aution shows. Certain cars command far more money regardless of what has been spent or done to others. I can assure you unless you do this on the cheap, the money you spend is as good as flushed down the toliet. It would be unique but rare doesn't always mean desirable. Good luck with your college. My nephew just graduated U of Maine and did the ROTC program on a full boat scholarship. He chose the Marines and is off to Virginia now.