Are there really V8 Grand Nationals?

Whut

Addicted to Boost!
I have been interested in GN's for over ten years and have owned a couple. When I browse (like I am now) for another one I usually see one or two 87 Grand Nationals being sold cheap with V8 engines in them. I have only known a GN to have a 3.8 V6 in it and am wondering if there is a rare breed of V8 GN's out there.

Anyone know if this is true?

Tell us about the Gn's you had?? To answer you question on the V8 being in a gn...... NO...

There is a rare bread of people out there that like to take the 6 out for an 8, but never from the factory......

Matt.:cool:

No such thing as a factory V8 GN. I guess the little 6 scares some people so they have to put a V8 in to slow the car down a bit :D

Originally posted by NoNos38
Tell us about the Gn's you had?? To answer you question on the V8 being in a gn...... NO...

There is a rare bread of people out there that like to take the 6 out for an 8, but never from the factory......

Matt.:cool:

Thanks for the info.

I had a 1984 T-type when I was 17. I had no clue how to maintain a turbo'd vehicle so I blew it up three times before I learned my lesson. I learned a lot with that car and would still have it today if theives wouldnt have decided to chop it.

I also had a 1986 T-type that died about three weeks after I got it. I got that one for $3,000 and sold it with a bad motor for $2,000 so I didnt lose my shirt on that one.

When I lost the second TR I went hunting for another one. I ended up with a 95 Z/28 and have owned F-bodies ever since. I am now ready to let my 96 SS go for an 86 or 87 Grand National.

There were V8 T-Types built. The T package was and appearance/handling package and not tied to the turbo V6. The V8 versions had 307 Olds engines and flat Regal hoods.

Originally posted by MeanBuicks
They were either turbo V6 or N/A V6. The turbo versions are very rare.

They were simply air turbos correct? I dont recall them ever being connected to an oil line. They were also dogs for performance as well. I had an opportunity to buy one years ago and passed it up. I dont like the rear styling of them or the front end.

1. There were NO V8 T Type Regals. (There were some V8 Regals with the T package, but not T Type) Regal T Types were always Turbo V6's.

2. '82 GN's were either 4.1 V6 or 3.8 Turbo V6, no V8's.

3. There were at least 35 '82 Turbo GN's.

3. WTF is an "air turbo"? Of course they had an oil line.

4. Dogs for performance? Maybe compared to a 86/87 Turbo Regal, but they were the fastest GM car next to the Corvette in 1982. And the can easily be made faster. I have my Carb/Turbo V6 running 14's with just a few, simple mods.

5. The rear styling of '82 GN is very much the same as 84/87 Regals. Maybe you're thinking of the 78/80 body style.

Originally posted by b4black
1. There were NO V8 T Type Regals. (There were some V8 Regals with the T package, but not T Type) Regal T Types were always Turbo V6's.

2. '82 GN's were either 4.1 V6 or 3.8 Turbo V6, no V8's.

3. There were at least 35 '82 Turbo GN's.

3. WTF is an "air turbo"? Of course they had an oil line.

4. Dogs for performance? Maybe compared to a 86/87 Turbo Regal, but they were the fastest GM car next to the Corvette in 1982. And the can easily be made faster. I have my Carb/Turbo V6 running 14's with just a few, simple mods.

5. The rear styling of '82 GN is very much the same as 84/87 Regals. Maybe you're thinking of the 78/80 body style.

Thanks for the info, and your site is a good read as well for the older GN's.

I work for a graphics software company and just had to point this out.

Rear%20B&W.JPG

You said the editing is noticable by the lack of a tail pipe. I think its more noticable by the fact that the only window left with defrost is the drivers side rear window. :)

Coincidentially, I happened to grab the July 2004 Old Car Trader magazine. On page 47 there is advertised a 1985 Grand National with a V8 - www.brockersbeautys.com
A 1984 Buick Grand National Riviera - supposedly one of 11 built Riviera's with a GN engine - it shows a white convertible: cliff@cadsonline.com
There is also an 86 Regal with a V8
I have not e-mailed or gone to any of these web sites to see how true, or authentic, or real any of these claims are.
There are also a couple of 87 GN's advertised on the same page.