anyone know MOTEC?

buickstage II

Hey,
a question out of curiousity, Motec engine managment is considered to be one of the best management systems for DFI and ignition, in Australia. does anyone run it in the states? or heard of it?
i would like to hear anyones opinion,
thanks Simon :) ,
Australia

buickstage II said:
Hey,
a question out of curiousity, Motec engine managment is considered to be one of the best management systems for DFI and ignition, in Australia. does anyone run it in the states? or heard of it?
Australia

They've been around forever. The bad thing with them, was that for years every update was expensive, and time consuming, it seemed like you have to have 2 on hand all the time (from looking at a couple IRL/ SCCA EFI inventories). They also are innovative in what the various ecms can do. It's been a few years since I last looked at their stuff, they were just too proud of it, IMO ($$$$$$$$$$$$)

Not to mention the if you have to deal with shipping to Australia, I've had items make it there in a week, and the next time, take 2 months.

buickstage II said:
Hey,
Australia

MoTeC is probably the best system on the market.
It has far more professional features than even the newer gen, dfi, fast and big stuff boxes. Some people have quality control issues with previous mentioned boxes are switching to the MoTeC. The down sides are... More expensive, usaully needs a custom harness and the software at least the version we have been using is not as intuitive as the Fast, DFI or Big Stuff Software. Ken Duttweiler uses the MoTeC on his personal car and recommends it to his customers.

John Wilde said:
MoTeC is probably the best system on the market.
It has far more professional features than even the newer gen, dfi, fast and big stuff boxes. Some people have quality control issues with previous mentioned boxes are switching to the MoTeC. The down sides are... More expensive, usaully needs a custom harness and the software at least the version we have been using is not as intuitive as the Fast, DFI or Big Stuff Software. Ken Duttweiler uses the MoTeC on his personal car and recommends it to his customers.

We have made 1800HP with a M48 Pro and are looking for 2000 next dyno at Duttweilers.

Take a look at this;

http://www.fastmotorsports.com/

QuickWrench said:
Annette Summer's TT Pro Mod runs a Motec. 2500+ HP.
Yes that car is bad-ass. The motor and tuning are also done by duttweiler. I'm sure you knew that though. :)

Big Stu said:
Yes that car is bad-ass. The motor and tuning are also done by duttweiler. I'm sure you knew that though. :)

What does he know compared to people on the internet? ;)

John Wilde said:
What does he know compared to people on the internet? ;)

Ha ha.... :D Probably a whole lot more than I ever will. Anyway, I think that the motec is expensive, but that's because it's the best out there by far. If you have the bucks and are that serious, if i remember right, just the control box is $3000. Definitly not run of the mill stuff. :)

Big Stu said:
Ha ha.... :D Probably a whole lot more than I ever will. Anyway, I think that the motec is expensive, but that's because it's the best out there by far. If you have the bucks and are that serious, if i remember right, just the control box is $3000. Definitly not run of the mill stuff. :)

You need this for the race car!!!

http://www.motec.com/products/dash/sdl.htm

just to let you all know, old mate is going to be setting up a motec m48, complete, sensors, profesionally wired, running and dyno tuned. AU$3000.

so i thinkmotec is the way to go.
what sort of set up does most people have?

i know engine management is a long way off, as i still need to purchase most engine parts - thanks to mike booher.

also about to buy pistons to suit, any comments? JE is probably what it will be.

buickstage II said:
just to let you all know, old mate is going to be setting up a motec m48, complete, sensors, profesionally wired, running and dyno tuned. AU$3000.

so i thinkmotec is the way to go.
what sort of set up does most people have?

i know engine management is a long way off, as i still need to purchase most engine parts - thanks to mike booher.

also about to buy pistons to suit, any comments? JE is probably what it will be.

Depending on your combination we might have a start up program for you.
The JE piston are good as are several other brands.

John Wilde said:
Depending on your combination we might have a start up program for you.
The JE piston are good as are several other brands.

thanks for your input, what do yuo mean by a start up program?
also im interested in what prices you guys are paying to have a car management system setup?

thanks Simon

I picked up an M800 new and cheap (comparitively speaking) on Ebay and then proceeded to cobble a system together. I'll be running it on my twin turbo Mustang (427 cu in, injected, intercooled, blah, blah, blah). One great thing about this unit is that it can process two wide band sensors - one for each bank. This box can spit out a ton of data which we, as responsible gear-heads, need to convert to information. Updates are free, tech support guys are very knowledgeable.

One area I dug into was to have the box perform staged injection (running 16 injectors on the Mustang or 12 on the Buick). Motec was helpful and turned me onto some hardcore Motec shops who are cocooned in their own little think tanks, developing injector and ignition control algorithms.

FBSideoiler427 said:
I picked up an M800 new and cheap (comparitively speaking) on Ebay and then proceeded to cobble a system together. I'll be running it on my twin turbo Mustang (427 cu in, injected, intercooled, blah, blah, blah). One great thing about this unit is that it can process two wide band sensors - one for each bank. This box can spit out a ton of data which we, as responsible gear-heads, need to convert to information. Updates are free, tech support guys are very knowledgeable.

One area I dug into was to have the box perform staged injection (running 16 injectors on the Mustang or 12 on the Buick). Motec was helpful and turned me onto some hardcore Motec shops who are cocooned in their own little think tanks, developing injector and ignition control algorithms.

Exactly, like I said, motec is the best. That motor with those turbos is going to be very nasty. :eek: What turbos are you planning on using? :)

buickstage II said:
thanks for your input, what do yuo mean by a start up program?
also im interested in what prices you guys are paying to have a car management system setup?

thanks Simon

Simon,

I am not sure what we bought the box for, we have been running it for 6 years.
We might still have a V-6 Twin Turbo Program that Duttweiler Started for us and Chris tweaked.

Exactly, like I said, motec is the best. That motor with those turbos is going to be very nasty. What turbos are you planning on using?

A pair of GT35R's - quick spoolup, decent power producers, ball bearings, small/medium frames, AND I picked up a pair cheap from Ebay before Garrett revised the pricing structure (more $$$).

FBSideoiler427 said:
A pair of GT35R's - quick spoolup, decent power producers, ball bearings, small/medium frames, AND I picked up a pair cheap from Ebay before Garrett revised the pricing structure (more $$$).

Awesome, should make plenty of power. :)