Anyone ever own an 86/87 Trans Am

Little6pack

Hi guys, Anyone ever own an 86/87 Trans Am.

Son #2 is gearing up to be driving soon.

We are going to look at an 86 TA with 305. Sounds like a well kept car was kept in garage a plus for new england, looks nice but photos can lie.. I am not expecting a brand new car for $1500- If he gets 3 to 4 years out if it that would be great.

Any ideas on what to look for or issues with these cars.

Hey my first car was an 86 T/A!!!

My first two mods were full exhaust and a B&M shifter:D

Fun car and probably plenty underpowered for a 16 year old.(good thing)
Look for leaky t-tops,and power window issues.

I had a 85 IROC if that counts. I'd say rust seeing as you're in the salt belt. T-Top cars have the same issues as ours. A TPI car could get expensive if you need to replace some of the electronics. The MAF is a Bosch that retails for over $500. And of course you can get nothing new as far as parts go.:)

we had a LOT of them up until we swapped over to GNs in 86.. slowest pig in the world BUT never had a problem with them except a new 82 Z28 rear end .. wife droveem for years !! :cool:

Had an '87 IROC-Z 5.0L for years. Had a small rust hole start behind the ground effects on the front quarter panel, and the odd minor electrical gremlin. Aside from an alternator and battery, it never needed anything mechanical. Handled well, comfortable, looked great. Loved it, and still wish I had kept it when the motor got tired after 300K plus kms. I think a mid-1980s 3rd Gen would make an excellent first car. Definitely a lot more personality than the usual Civic!

Bought an '87 Iroc in '92 and owned for about 12 years. Back in '92 I was in high school and a few months after I bought mine, 3 of my friends owned them also. An '86 Iroc, an '88 Camaro (before the RS) and an '89 RS. After graduation an ex bought an '88 Iroc and a friends ex bought a '91 RS. All were 305's stock... Great engine as far as reliability. Mine was the only carbed out of the bunch:frown: , severly underpowered. They all squeeked and rattled regardless if it was a convertible (mine) T-tops or hardtops. Most had an appetite for alternators also. In '99 I bought an '87 T/A that was a TPI 305, the block had a hole in the side of it from a broken rod. My friend (had the '86 Iroc) now also had a '86 Chevy K1500 and I traded him the TPI for the 305 that was out of his ex's '88 Iroc. Also used an '88 GTA as a donor for my elcamino:D

I like the third gens, but they all seem rather "plasticky", they all rattle (Even the TTA I owned for a short while), and don't seem like they are built very stong, but when my Iroc was stock, it was a pretty reliable car. The TPI will nickle and dime you to death if you don't know how to diagnose any problems with them, but the torque from the are nice, even with the lowly 305...

Oh yeah, I could never kill off my 305. I built a 350, it blew, I put the 305 back in. Built a 383 out of that 350, it blew, I put the 305 back in. Built a blown 385 out of the same 350, and it blew, put in the 305, then I found a wrecked WH1 and put the 3.8 in it and ended up selling it with that drivetrain. Sold the 150k+ mile 305 to an aquaintance, he put it in an old chevy truck with a 4 speed and 411's, Ran that thing over 6k RPMs for over a year before it started to develop a rod knock.

I was a die hard thirdgen guy before I came to Buicks. I still love thirdgens and hope to go back to them (call me crazy)

85-89 cars are essentially the same with minor differences

My memory might be a little rusty, but as far as 305 cars go 85 tpi cars came with a better camshaft, generally good rear end gears. 86 went to the infamous peanut cam and IIRC hp dropped to 190. 86 LB9 (305 tpi) is probably the slowest tpi car ever produced. Typically 2.73 gears with the 7004r. 87 was the first year of the roller cam but it was still a peanut, last year for the 9th injector. HP increased slightly. Things stayed about the same till 89, 90 is when the SD TPI came out. Sometime in 90 305 cars started getting the good cam.
5 speed cars all got the good cam (FWIW I dont think there were any 5 speed TPI cars produced in 85 or 86). This is of course excluding all TBI engines which came with horrible cams and heads, and any carbed LG4 engines which If im not mistaken stopped coming off the line in 87.

T top center piece tends to rust. The biggest thing with Trans Ams (and to a lesser extent camaros) is that the air dam underneath the radiator core support MUST BE IN PLACE. Without this airdam the car will overheat almost immediately. These cars tend to run hot, and its very easy for them to overheat when any part of the system is sub par. I suggest either learning to program your own chip to get a lower turn on temperature or hooking up the fans to a lower temperature fan switch.
other problems include
Very slow power windows. They will make turbo buick windows seem fast.
Trunk hatch pulldown motors.. the dumbest "feature" ever added to a car. Every single one I've seen has gone bad. Either get yourself a non pulldown latch mechanism from an earlier car, or tack weld or bend the tracks in place so the mechanism doesn't move.
I never had a power antenna car but i hear they are miserable failures too.
The hood and hatch struts will probably be bad. These can be a little pricey. When I bought mine back in like 98, i remember the front struts were 11 bux a piece, and the rear struts were like 30 a piece. I can only imagine what they are now.
The popup headlights are another problem area. In the stock motor/gear setup there are these circular plastic pins that hold the center of the gear in place to the outer gear. These pins start to get smashed up till there is essentialy nothing holding the gears together. The headlights will start to only half pop up, or hesitate and youll hear the motors whirring but nothing happening. An easy fix is to get a wooden dowel and make new pins out of the wooden dowel. Works like a champ but is a little tedious to do. Out of several headlight assemblies and cars, i never had a bad motor. It was always these pins.
Aside from this I've seen a lot of problems in general. Code 32 for the EGR valve is quite common (if i remember the code correctly) it will only come on at random at cruising speed. Maf sensors tend to take a crap. Radiator cooling fan motors were frequently a problem. The fit and finish of the interior plastic parts is pretty terrible.

The good thing is that these cars are awesome platforms to go quick for cheap. I don't think you can touch one that has been prepared for road course duty with another car for the same amount of money. Autox is another story but they still are quite capable. They handle really well.

heres my old ride
crosslace.jpg

thirdgeneng.jpg

305 .030 over, 214/224 cam, 416 305 h.o. heads i ported and had milled to 51 ccs 1.6 rockers, torker II single plane. Was TBI, converted to Edelbrock 600 cfm carb, converted from auto to t5 5 speed, 3.42 gears with a powertrax locker, headers, exhaust etc etc. Ran 13.6 with a 2.1 or .2 60 foot at 104-05 mph. Crazy huh? If you put that much work into a buick you are deep in the tens. Of course looking back on it I would have gone turbo on the thirdgen.

The cams were all the same. No difference between the auto and stick grinds. Different cams through the years. Yeah IIRC the 85 TPI cam was from the Vette 350 and was probably the best for both low end grunt and top end charge. I was told they had to scale it down a little because of the tougher emission standards for 87. Kind of like why the 87 GN has steel bumper reinforcements and the 86 is a tad lighter with the aluminums. But what do I care about the TPI motors? My 85 IROC was one of the 2400 with the IROC only L69 High Output. You got an exclusive option which was 190HP, 5 gear tranny and 3.73 rear gears. It wasted the 305TPI Auto in the 1/4. I ran a borrowed 350 IROC in Solo2 when they came out in 87. It wasn't my car but who ever broke in the motor sure did it good because that car felt like it had 300 horses.

The cams were all the same. No difference between the auto and stick grinds. Different cams through the years. Yeah IIRC the 85 TPI cam was from the Vette 350 and was probably the best for both low end grunt and top end charge. I was told they had to scale it down a little because of the tougher emission standards for 87. Kind of like why the 87 GN has steel bumper reinforcements and the 86 is a tad lighter with the aluminums. But what do I care about the TPI motors? My 85 IROC was one of the 2400 with the IROC only L69 High Output. You got an exclusive option which was 190HP, 5 gear tranny and 3.73 rear gears. It wasted the 305TPI Auto in the 1/4. I ran a borrowed 350 IROC in Solo2 when they came out in 87. It wasn't my car but who ever broke in the motor sure did it good because that car felt like it had 300 horses.

The cams are different. This is well documented. Go visit thirdgen.org for casting numbers and lift specs. 5 speed tpi cars recieved the good roller cam. 85 tpi cars got a good cam, the rest (of the LB9s), up till around 90-91 got the crappy peanut cam. Type in peanut cam into the search on thirdgen.org. There were several posts about this. Sometime in 90-91, auto LB9 cars started receiving the good cam. This has been verified by multiple sources, including myself ( I have seen, pulled, and swapped these cams and verified casting number differences). Trust me, I am a thirdgen die hard. I was one of the original members of thirdgen.org even before it was thirdgen.org, Dirk the former owner of the site is a friend of mine.
I had an L69 84 Z28 w/ t5 and 3.73 like your iroc, an 87 T/A, the 89 firebird in the pic. Done engine, cam, head swaps, etc on a few of these cars and I used to do chips for them. If you like you can go to the .bin repository and look at the eprom images and compare an auto lb9 binary to a t5 lb9 bin and see the difference in the calibration. It would probably be easier to just look up the two different casting numbers though.

Good cam-
* part no. 10066049
lift int .415
lift ext .430
duraration int 207
duration ext 213
separation 117.0
rocker arm ratio (116/-118)

They also use this for the 350 w/automatic as well.

The 305 w/automatic has a different cam than the manual. This is part no. 10088155.

This holds true up till '90 when they all went to the same cam.

I also had heard that the 305 TPI cars with 5sp had a healthier cam than the A4 cars. Back in 1987, everyone looking for an IROC wanted the 350 TPI but not many were available at first so the next best thing was the 5sp 305 TPI. They actually ran pretty close with the 350 cars with a decent driver.

We passed on the 1st one we looked at but picked this one up this weekend.

The hatch & hood stay open, the t-tops don't leak, the inside is like new driver seat is showing a tad usage.

has some boom box in back, nice stereo, all the gauges work, the check engine light came on could be due to techron cleaner.

the GTA wheels are KILLER nice with new centercaps. The would look great on my buick.

Attachments

• P1040406.jpg
    P1040406.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,497
That looks almost identical to the car I just sold. Same color and everything. Good luck with it, they are great cars. I have had no less than 10 over the years. In my opinion, the 3rd gens are some of the coolest cars around.

That looks almost identical to the car I just sold. Same color and everything. Good luck with it, they are great cars. I have had no less than 10 over the years. In my opinion, the 3rd gens are some of the coolest cars around.

Thanks! makes a cool 1st car for a 16 year old. He wanted no part of the word HONDA LOL! It is good to see people wanting good ole american cars.

Insurance is going to be high for new driver. He should have stuck to a small six or four. It's going to suck in the snow too. Tell the truth, you wanted him to get that car so you could beat on it.:biggrin:

The super sleek and sexy 87-90 trans am/GTA body style is the best out there, I always wanted one :cool:

They really messed it up with the super ugly 91-92 front air damn, that just ruined the entire car..