Any Deer Hunters?? I know your in here somewhere!!!!

anyone can kill a deer with a rifle. BFD! REAL hunters use bows. recurves, not compounds....

Congrats catman.
Its been real slow here. I've hunted three days in November so far. I kind of missed the rut due to working out of state. Every year the Iowa DNR has me journal for them as far as how many hours in I'm in the woods, what county I'm hunting, and what I see (bucks, doe's, turkey, and so on). I was looking at the journal this morning and thinking I need to hunt more. Working out of state 3-4 days a week combined with a 5 year old, a 2 year old, and twin 6month olds pretty much has kicked my but. I'm not throwing in towel yet though. I will get out this weekend and hopefully be back with some pictures.
Oh and I only hunt with a knife. Is that man enough for Brett?

How many 400+yrd shots you made at a Live target:biggrin:
if ur shooting 400+ yards away at a deer thats just not hunting. if you cant see it then it cant see or smell you. thats just killing not hunting. and sitting in a tree stand aint hunting either. REAL hunters make the hunt fair. shooting a deer with a .30-06 or 308 with a scope is just lame. anyone can do that.

if ur shooting 400+ yards away at a deer thats just not hunting. if you cant see it then it cant see or smell you. thats just killing not hunting. and sitting in a tree stand aint hunting either. REAL hunters make the hunt fair. shooting a deer with a .30-06 or 308 with a scope is just lame. anyone can do that.

Nope, I am guessing you never tried it... Nothing "easy" about it... Have you ever even tried a 400yrd shot period?

Nope, I am guessing you never tried it... Nothing "easy" about it... Have you ever even tried a 400yrd shot period?

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The dude roofing my house just got one 240 lbs dressed.......:eek::eek: I see a lot of jerky in my future.

Alright, I ignored your 1st ignorant statement. But, this one I'm not.

Hunting is taking ANY wild game animal, with any weapon of the hunter's choice, in a fair chase situation. Also, making an ethical choice of whether or not that animal is what the hunter is looking for in regards to feed his/her family, NOT just to shoot the animal for "the thrill".

KILLING an animal, is a situation like what you see in 99.9% of the videos & horse$hit on TV. They are on a game preserve, where the only purpose is to grow trophy class animals for a big dick swinging contest, with no intention of using that animal for food.

Another example of KILLING & not hunting, are these slobs that call themselves hunters, whom mow down anything regardless of size or sex. The 'ol "brown it's down" motto.

I will agree with you .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% that taking an animal at long range gives that animal little chance if you're a good shot. That animal generally has no idea there is danger, but unless the hunter is capable of making an ethical, clean, one shot kill at that range, that shot should never be taken. And for you to say anyone can make a killing shot with a gun.... right, whatever you say.

Your treestand statement is plain ingnorant & stupid. I have been spotted & winded plenty of times while hunting from a treestand that you seem to think also makes it impossible to give the animals any chance at survival.

If your an animal rights activist, or anti-hunter. Fine, I respect your views. But don't come on here pissing on my parade telling me I'm not a hunter.

Yeah, I agree shooting anything for per "sport" is wrong... If I don't intend on eating it I don't kill it... Varmints and snakes excluded:biggrin:

That I switched to fishing many years ago... I was "hunting" on a quayle reserve, and realized in the middle of it just how stupid I was:( I totally changed my views from that point on... I will shoot a doe every year that I go... I rather have the meat from a doe anyway, especially around anywhere the run dogs....

I grew up in Northern Connecticut in woods. plenty familiar with ALL types of hunting and fishing since I was a little kid. using a rifle to shoot a deer is no challenge at all.

Alright, I ignored your 1st ignorant statement. But, this one I'm not.

Hunting is taking ANY wild game animal, with any weapon of the hunter's choice, in a fair chase situation. Also, making an ethical choice of whether or not that animal is what the hunter is looking for in regards to feed his/her family, NOT just to shoot the animal for "the thrill".

KILLING an animal, is a situation like what you see in 99.9% of the videos & horse$hit on TV. They are on a game preserve, where the only purpose is to grow trophy class animals for a big dick swinging contest, with no intention of using that animal for food.

Another example of KILLING & not hunting, are these slobs that call themselves hunters, whom mow down anything regardless of size or sex. The 'ol "brown it's down" motto.

I will agree with you .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% that taking an animal at long range gives that animal little chance if you're a good shot. That animal generally has no idea there is danger, but unless the hunter is capable of making an ethical, clean, one shot kill at that range, that shot should never be taken. And for you to say anyone can make a killing shot with a gun.... right, whatever you say.

Your treestand statement is plain ingnorant & stupid. I have been spotted & winded plenty of times while hunting from a treestand that you seem to think also makes it impossible to give the animals any chance at survival.

If your an animal rights activist, or anti-hunter. Fine, I respect your views. But don't come on here pissing on my parade telling me I'm not a hunter.
anyone who cant shoot a deer with a high powered rifle and scope and kill it with one shot has no business hunting. with a scope its like shooting a deer 10 feet in front of you. big deal!

you can call it what ever you want by killing a deer with a rifle is lame and no sport whatsoever. killing it with a bow is REAL hunting. im no animal activist. just a REAL hunter who hunted with a bow growing up. sorry if that upsets you but any schmuck can shoot a deer from a 100 yards away when they cannot catch ur scent. you call that hunting? I call that pathetic.

you think hiding in a tree stand 30 feet in the air sniping a deer with a high powered rifle that walks under you is a sport? gimmi a break. thats just plain LAME! get out and track ur deer where scent, strategy and noise play a role in the hunt.

anyone who cant shoot a deer with a high powered rifle and scope and kill it with one shot has no business hunting. with a scope its like shooting a deer 10 feet in front of you. big deal!

you can call it what ever you want by killing a deer with a rifle is lame and no sport whatsoever. killing it with a bow is REAL hunting. im no animal activist. just a REAL hunter who hunted with a bow growing up. sorry if that upsets you but any schmuck can shoot a deer from a 100 yards away when they cannot catch ur scent. you call that hunting? I call that pathetic.

you think hiding in a tree stand 30 feet in the air sniping a deer with a high powered rifle that walks under you is a sport? gimmi a break. thats just plain LAME! get out and track ur deer where scent, strategy and noise play a role in the hunt.

Cool post pics of your successful harvests.....

Cool post pics of your successful harvests.....

Bwhahahaha!!! :biggrin:

Thanks chadly:cool: BUT, I guess since one of the local yocal gods on here says I'm a worthless, lame excuse for a hunter, it must be true. Just another shining example of some jerk who has nothing useful to add to a thread, and more so, to a thread that obviously doesn't even pertain to him. But yet feels the need to spout off because of???? jealousy perhaps:confused:

I prefer to bowhunt vs gun, it just so happens I do both though. I have taken more deer via bow & arrow than gun, but I guess since I use a PSE compound those don't count either according to Brett Bear.

Question for Brett the Great..... You sound as though you may hunt with a recurve? If so, that's cool as Hell. Huge props to you. That's what I learned on as a kid. My dad bought me a child-size recurve, and I also shot an old wooden recurve of his once I got big & strong enough to pull it.

HOWEVER now the question. What kind of sights, arrows, string, fletching, & broadheads do you use? Unless you use no sights (just shooters instinct), animal intestine for a string, carve your own wooden arrows, use real bird feathers for fletching, and still use stone broadheads.... kindly shut your yap about other peoples choice of weapon to hunt with.

One more thing.... I really don't give two $hits what someone elses arrogant opinion is about what weapon I choose to hunt with, although I will give you a piece of my mind (obviously) about your ignorance.

Is one of our members here... "plowboy72"... any less of a hunter or man compared to you Brett for how he hunts? Or is that suddenly different somehow because of his situation? I don't know him & won't speak for "plowboy72", but if I were him I'd take great offense to you & your statements.

My next door neighbor got a nice lil one last night. I will try to get a pic here in a min. But is it really hunting if he used his truck??????

My next door neighbor got a nice lil one last night. I will try to get a pic here in a min. But is it really hunting if he used his truck??????

Well.... umm... ahh... I've heard of road hunting, but that might be pushing it.:tongue:

Well.... umm... ahh... I've heard of road hunting, but that might be pushing it.:tongue:

Very similar to road hunting but no other weapon was used....... I happen to live in the heart of deer country.....Drive with caution:eek:

Bwhahahaha!!! :biggrin:

Thanks chadly:cool: BUT, I guess since one of the local yocal gods on here says I'm a worthless, lame excuse for a hunter, it must be true. Just another shining example of some jerk who has nothing useful to add to a thread, and more so, to a thread that obviously doesn't even pertain to him. But yet feels the need to spout off because of???? jealousy perhaps:confused:

I prefer to bowhunt vs gun, it just so happens I do both though. I have taken more deer via bow & arrow than gun, but I guess since I use a PSE compound those don't count either according to Brett Bear.

Question for Brett the Great..... You sound as though you may hunt with a recurve? If so, that's cool as Hell. Huge props to you. That's what I learned on as a kid. My dad bought me a child-size recurve, and I also shot an old wooden recurve of his once I got big & strong enough to pull it.

HOWEVER now the question. What kind of sights, arrows, string, fletching, & broadheads do you use? Unless you use no sights (just shooters instinct), animal intestine for a string, carve your own wooden arrows, use real bird feathers for fletching, and still use stone broadheads.... kindly shut your yap about other peoples choice of weapon to hunt with.
now you sound like ur crying. so now ur a recurve hunter? sure you are....:rolleyes: after two bouts with lyme disease which nearly killed me I steer clear of the woods but when I did hunt it was with a black widow using easton carbon fibers. no sights.

hunting for deer was boring. coyotes were more exciting and dangerous.

if ur gonna hunt with a rifle go to alaska with one round and hunt for grizzly. I would be willing to bet you dont have the ballz to do that. but ull snipe a deer from a 100 yards away tho right? how brave....:rolleyes:

I see brett as being a hardcore hunter, likes to do it with the bare minumum. Like a Tred Barta.. Long bow, handmade wooden arrows and broad heads hunting on the ground. And thats badass. But it isnt for everyone and not everyone has the chance to do that. I hunt bow 75% of the year with modern eqiupment. But when I gun hunt I use a muzzle loader w/ iron sights. SOme people are purist , just like some of you guys will get pissed off if i take a gn motor out of a gn and put a v8 in it. everyone has their own opinions and views. Take it and leave it as that. How Brett feels is damn sure not going to effect me if i slam a GIANT with a modern bow and arrow. but i respect how he feels about this situation.

now you sound like ur crying. so now ur a recurve hunter? sure you are....:rolleyes: after two bouts with lyme disease which nearly killed me I steer clear of the woods but when I did hunt it was with a black widow using easton carbon fibers. no sights.

hunting for deer was boring. coyotes were more exciting and dangerous.

if ur gonna hunt with a rifle go to alaska with one round and hunt for grizzly. I would be willing to bet you dont have the ballz to do that. but ull snipe a deer from a 100 yards away tho right? how brave....:rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with Balls Bret, it has to do with effective and effecient killing. I've got a compound and recurve bow myself. I took classes to learn how to use them and can hit around 25-30 yards with them. I use a rifle because of the fact that I prefer to take one shot and have food on the table. Not chase a dear 25 or 30 yeards after it's hit. I consider it useful to use a bow but prefer to take a deer down as fast and humainly as I can. Bows just don't kill as fast as a bullet, plus, around here it's more likely that you're going to get a shot several hundred yards off than a close shot you need to really use a bow. The closest chance at a shot I've had is less than 30 feet away and I didn't take it because it seemed like cheating to me. It was just to easy.:biggrin: