Any Deer Hunters?? I know your in here somewhere!!!!

Dreamn4GN

I know their are some deer hunters in here, with all these members living out in the mid-west and etc. Im curious if anyone has harvested anything yet this season?? If so, post up some pics if ya got em:biggrin:!
What season do you prefer. Bow or Gun?
And what kind of Bow/Gun do you guys use?

Bow is nice, quiet and natural, but I love my guns . I hunt handgun only with a Thompson Contender in 358JDJ (444 marlin case necked down to 35 cal.) for long range & a Ruger Super RedHawk in 454 Casull for fast moving & up close and personal.:biggrin: Sam

I do deer camp 1 week in Nov. every year in the Adirondaks. Generator/handpump camp on the water. Only way in is sea plane or quad. Best week of the year! Main gun is a Kimber 8400 300 WSM.

Im a die hard bow hunter with my Mathew's Drenalin. But I like to even the playing field with myT/C Omega 50.cal Muzzleloader in the end of Nov and Dec.

Yea here onthe east coast we had about 7 days where it was awesome weather, lows in the mid 40's. But it still didnt get the deer on the feet. Atleast for me!

Black3- Id love to do something like that in the future!! Real hunting camp!!!

Dont forget this thread fella's . Keep it inmind when you get some harvest... Good Luck!!!

It has been tooo damn hot......

Same here. Just too hot to get out in the woods and hunt. I've got about seven stands set and ready with my climber for others but waiting for the temp to drop. I went out with a friend last night and the deer are clueless (they should have busted me) which makes it fun but I brought all my arrows home with me. I drew an early muzzle loader tag which starts next weekend so I really hope the temps drop. the cool thing is we are in the midst of our first dove season ever for Iowa. While out goose hunting its fun to blast a few dove's while waiting. I cant wait to eat them.

I Don't hunt them but,i was about 20-25 feet from the biggest baddest buck i have ever seen, I was walking up the powerlines yesterday,+ all of a sudden it just popped up right on the side of me,i knew it was about to run so i tried to get the camera out but missed it.It had a HUGE rack, it may have been non typical,or it may have had some of the branches from the shrubs it was in, stuck in the antlers, it all hapened so fast it was hard to tell but what a beauty.
I walked over to where it was, to try to figure out how i got so close before it knew i was there,+ it had been down in a ditch made by one of the giant trucks,yrs ago that clear the brush + trees from the powerlines,it had either bedded down in the ditch which was also between some short shrubs,so it was totally hidden, or it was rubbing it's antlers on the shrubs + had its head down + was busy,so didn't know i was there until i was right on top of it, but it was so close,i could smell the pee it lost when it blasted off i think i may have even got some of the mist on me,:eek:i've never seen one do that before either,(empty it's bladder as it blasted off)but i don't know if i have ever been that close to one taking off either. It made my day but i was bummed i didn't get a pic.
It's right in the middle of where everybody hunts too so someone may get a nice trophy this yr.

I Don't hunt them but,i was about 20-25 feet from the biggest baddest buck i have ever seen, I was walking up the powerlines yesterday,+ all of a sudden it just popped up right on the side of me,i knew it was about to run so i tried to get the camera out but missed it.It had a HUGE rack, it may have been non typical,or it may have had some of the branches from the shrubs it was in, stuck in the antlers, it all hapened so fast it was hard to tell but what a beauty.
I walked over to where it was, to try to figure out how i got so close before it knew i was there,+ it had been down in a ditch made by one of the giant trucks,yrs ago that clear the brush + trees from the powerlines,it had either bedded down in the ditch which was also between some short shrubs,so it was totally hidden, or it was rubbing it's antlers on the shrubs + had its head down + was busy,so didn't know i was there until i was right on top of it, but it was so close,i could smell the pee it lost when it blasted off i think i may have even got some of the mist on me,:eek:i've never seen one do that before either,(empty it's bladder as it blasted off)but i don't know if i have ever been that close to one taking off either. It made my day but i was bummed i didn't get a pic.
It's right in the middle of where everybody hunts too so someone may get a nice trophy this yr.

I came across this out in the same place a couple weeks ago,but not sure what happened to it,so i just took a couple bites off it + decided venison wasn't for me + left it there.

Attachments

• P1000902.jpg
    P1000902.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 333
Yeah the temos are high... And we got a ish ton of rain here on the east coast this past summer and still have alotta standing water, so the mosquito's are out like crazy.. So bad My Thermo-cell , cant keep em away from me!!! I got all my stands set but 1. i always keep the climber ready just for them sweet spots you stumble across while during the season!!

t-typinator- its amazing how close you can be to a mature animal and not even know they are their!!! Ive almost stepped on a group of does, bc they were going to run... Alotta the deer around here got it figured out.. You stay on the ground.. Chances are your heart and lungs wont have a whole in it!!!

Our season doesn't start until the end of this month. Then it goes until January so I've got plenty of time.:)

If you bagged one today you would need to have 20 bags of ice just to get it out of the woods....Deer confused/fish confused...I'm confused......::confused: biggrin:

If you bagged one today you would need to have 20 bags of ice just to get it out of the woods....Deer confused/fish confused...I'm confused......::confused::biggrin:

If we could've gone a month ago just gutting one would've made it jerky sitting in the sun. At least now it's below 90 most of the time.:biggrin:

I am not, but my Dad is an avid hunter. He is off on a bow hunt for elk right now. I'll post up some pics if he gets anything this year, elk or deer.

Bow & gun whitetail hunter from WI here.

Bow: PSE Typhoon

Gun: Remington 700 .30-06

Here's my wallhangers, many smaller ones over the years too. I'm a meat hunter, not a trophy hunter.

I very much prefer bowhunting. Nice & quiet, all alone (save for my hunting partner), time to think, relax, etc.

None of these pics are from this year. I've only been out four times so far. Been too warm here the past two weeks (80*) But that's suppsoed to change by this weekend, and long range forecast is highs in the 50's, lows near or below freezing. Halloween weekend usually starts the pre-rut here & by the following weekend the rut is going strong.

Attachments

• CIMG2673[1].jpg
    CIMG2673[1].jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 296
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 297
  • Digital pics. 160.jpg
    Digital pics. 160.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 308
  • Digital pics. 587.jpg
    Digital pics. 587.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 312
  • Picture or Video 003.jpg
    Picture or Video 003.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 294
One more, since I can only add 5 pics per post. This was in '98... damn I look young.:D Remington 870 Express 12 ga.

Attachments

• Picture or Video 006.jpg
    Picture or Video 006.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 302
One more, since I can only add 5 pics per post. This was in '98... damn I look young.:D Remington 870 Express 12 ga.

Anyone of them deers I would be very very happy with!!! I have been hunting for 16 yrs, And have yet put a wall hanger on my wall!.. Im not a trophy hunter either, but Luck hasta swing my way sooner or later!! I Cant wait to buy a farm out in the mid-west!! I got a nice 7 pointer last yr, Ill try posting up here. And end of october is always hott to be sitting in the stand!!

7pointer.jpg

Here my biggest buck to date... Got it last year on a deer drive with my .50 call muzzleloader!!! Hoping for a bigger one this year!!!

To start with, you need to move.........:biggrin: And a deer drive is cheating.....not hunting.

And Plowboy has some serious hunting gear......:cool: That is awesome.