Another 03 cobra story...

The new Whipple is the hot ticket for the Cobras. We havent had much luck with the KB stuff.. they tend to want to lock up.

What kind of power have you seen out of them? Those cars are sick, they are a modern day buick so to speak.

What kind of power have you seen out of them? Those cars are sick, they are a modern day buick so to speak.

We've had stock bottom end Cobras roll out of the shop making 615-620 at the wheels on our dyno.. using SAE numbers. That's with the new Whipple on them.

We had a Cobra in here about a month ago with a HP Performance twin turbo kit that made over 700 at the wheels.

All of these cars are manuals, tho.. we had an 03 Cobra with a Hellion single turbo kit on it with a Lentech automatic that made 630 at the wheels.

The 03 Cobras are sick cars.. vastly underrated horsepower wise.

Yeah but here's hte question...

How many passes can they make like that before it breaks?

Yeah but here's hte question...

How many passes can they make like that before it breaks?

We've only had 1 03 Cobra break and it burned a piston due to running out of fuel. We came up with our own fuel system we've been using on the cars and that's eliminated that problem.

We had a Cobra in here about a month ago with a HP Performance twin turbo kit that made over 700 at the wheels..

I know some guys with the HPP kit, those are pretty cool.

My buddy just got his 04 Mystichrome Cobra back from the shop. He blew up the 4.6 with the ported blower, so he bought a 5.4 Navigator motor and went with twin 67s. It was from HPH, so probably a little different as far as turbo location than the HPP one.

PictureS2007002.jpg

Here is his buildup thread if you wanna see some pretty big $$$ being spent :eek: It should do 1000 at the wheels easy.

Must be nice to be in the oil business..... :eek:

Texas Street Cars :: View topic - 5.4 DOHC Twin Turbo Cobra

I know some guys with the HPP kit, those are pretty cool.

My buddy just got his 04 Mystichrome Cobra back from the shop. He blew up the 4.6 with the ported blower, so he bought a 5.4 Navigator motor and went with twin 67s. It was from HPH, so probably a little different as far as turbo location than the HPP one.

PictureS2007002.jpg

Here is his buildup thread if you wanna see some pretty big $$$ being spent :eek: It should do 1000 at the wheels easy.

Must be nice to be in the oil business..... :eek:

Texas Street Cars :: View topic - 5.4 DOHC Twin Turbo Cobra

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Wow!

Well i have a 03 Cobra, and a GN, but the GN hasnt beat the Cobras ET yet!

If you haven't beat down that Cobra with a 66 turbo, you aren't trying hard enough! Turn up the boost and put your foot through the floorboard!

You can't make a stock buick do low 13's? Really? Someones mistaken...
And nitrous for launching? Actually, it works dam good, but so does a new maf pipe/air filter, exhaust cut out, and a MBC with some M/T tires.

And who says a turbo's not a bolt on? Since the advent of these new bb turbos on here recently, I've seen some SWEET deals on some Ta49's and bigger turbos, for REALLY cheap. I don't know about you guys, but I replaced my stocker, (with another stocker. my seals went) in NO time. I could have done it in my sleep.
For 450 bucks and 45 minutes, you can add a lot of HP. They're simple swaps. The difference between a bigger turbo and our stockers is MINUTE. Were talkin millimeters of diameter. Hardly a huge affair. To add a supercharger to an N/A car is NOT a simple bolt on. That's surgery there. You just don't go out to your local speed shop with a few hundred dollars, buy one, drive home, and 2 six packs of Newcastle later, you're pushin 100 more hp. No... not happenin. Super/Pro chargers are expensive. There's no way you're sneakin' that one behind the woman's back. That one takes approval by the finance manager (your wife) 450 dollars for a used turbo on here is nothin. Turbo swaps are simple bolt-ons for us. Throwin a S/C on a mustang is not.

Now, if you yanked the air box entirely, and mounted the maf in place,
gut the cat, and yank the mufflers off
crush the fpr
turn up the boost
box the control arms
yank one maf screen
yank the ic screen
block off the turbos inlet bell oil tube
bellmouth the compressor housing
port the exhaust elbow, and threw on your buddies mickey thompsons, and dumped in two cans of xylene with a few gallons of 94, you'd have a low 13 second car all day. i could do all of this to a factory buick for zero dollars.
It seems ghetto, but it's free, and yanks a half second off a 13.7 car. There you have it. I have a good friend (he doesn't own the car anymore) do this back in 87, and ran a 13.1 on a warm day. I could imagine on a fall night here in michigan, on a 40 degree night, he could manage a bit faster. None of these are additions but the tires and the plates on the control arms. Now obviously I wouldn't drive around like this, because some things are going to start to suffer, without any supporting mods, but for just a few passes at the track, it gets the job done. These cars are torque hiders. It's like ragu, "It's in there." All you gotta do is just let it out. Mustangs are very fast and respectable cars, but I see the buicks beat them every day. At least around here, I NEVER see a buick lose to a mustang. Never.

I'm currently in the process to see how quick I can make a stock motor/turbo/IC go. I'm going to squeeze every last bit of hp out of my stock stuff, and report my progress on here ( I only have a little time to do it, as I redeploy in 4 weeks)

Most mustangs may have more HP, but I'm telling you guys they cannot drive. They lose all the time. Sure, they beat us on the freeway, but racing on the freeway is gay. That's not racing.

You can't make a stock buick do low 13's? Really? Someones mistaken...
And nitrous for launching? Actually, it works dam good, but so does a new maf pipe/air filter, exhaust cut out, and a MBC with some M/T tires.

And who says a turbo's not a bolt on? Since the advent of these new bb turbos on here recently, I've seen some SWEET deals on some Ta49's and bigger turbos, for REALLY cheap. I don't know about you guys, but I replaced my stocker, (with another stocker. my seals went) in NO time. I could have done it in my sleep.
For 450 bucks and 45 minutes, you can add a lot of HP. They're simple swaps. The difference between a bigger turbo and our stockers is MINUTE. Were talkin millimeters of diameter. Hardly a huge affair. To add a supercharger to an N/A car is NOT a simple bolt on. That's surgery there. You just don't go out to your local speed shop with a few hundred dollars, buy one, drive home, and 2 six packs of Newcastle later, you're pushin 100 more hp. No... not happenin. Super/Pro chargers are expensive. There's no way you're sneakin' that one behind the woman's back. That one takes approval by the finance manager (your wife) 450 dollars for a used turbo on here is nothin. Turbo swaps are simple bolt-ons for us. Throwin a S/C on a mustang is not.

Now, if you yanked the air box entirely, and mounted the maf in place,
gut the cat, and yank the mufflers off
crush the fpr
turn up the boost
box the control arms
yank one maf screen
yank the ic screen
block off the turbos inlet bell oil tube
bellmouth the compressor housing
port the exhaust elbow, and threw on your buddies mickey thompsons, and dumped in two cans of xylene with a few gallons of 94, you'd have a low 13 second car all day. i could do all of this to a factory buick for zero dollars.
It seems ghetto, but it's free, and yanks a half second off a 13.7 car. There you have it. I have a good friend (he doesn't own the car anymore) do this back in 87, and ran a 13.1 on a warm day. I could imagine on a fall night here in michigan, on a 40 degree night, he could manage a bit faster. None of these are additions but the tires and the plates on the control arms. Now obviously I wouldn't drive around like this, because some things are going to start to suffer, without any supporting mods, but for just a few passes at the track, it gets the job done. These cars are torque hiders. It's like ragu, "It's in there." All you gotta do is just let it out. Mustangs are very fast and respectable cars, but I see the buicks beat them every day. At least around here, I NEVER see a buick lose to a mustang. Never.

I'm currently in the process to see how quick I can make a stock motor/turbo/IC go. I'm going to squeeze every last bit of hp out of my stock stuff, and report my progress on here ( I only have a little time to do it, as I redeploy in 4 weeks)

Most mustangs may have more HP, but I'm telling you guys they cannot drive. They lose all the time. Sure, they beat us on the freeway, but racing on the freeway is gay. That's not racing.

Seriously, I don't know where to start with you. I never said you can't make a stock turbo buick go low 13s, so whom was that directed to? The nitrous on a TB has been beaten to a pulp so not worth mentioning anymore. I don't know how everyone is comparing bigger turbos as being bolt ons. I'll leave that one alone too because it's useless to debate, matter of opinions. MM's are kinda a big deal buddy when you are talking turbos, 61mm and 67mm are only 6mm difference, no big deal right?:rolleyes: Now, who said anything about adding a supercharger to a n/a mustang. 03-04 cobras come stock with eatons, please read up before you post again. Nobody mentioned anything but terminators in the thread. super/prochargers? all i can do is :rolleyes: to that one too, you really need to read up before jumping into things. zero dollars? not gonna run an air filter? so your gonna magically turn up the boost without an adjustable actuator, molest your stock exhaust system, borrow $300+ dollar tires not including the rims you need from your "buddy", go to the hardware store and magically get for free cans of bootleg race gas, and run around on stock timing with up'd boost just to MAYBE run a low 13? doesn't sound too impressive man. You never see mustangs beat buicks? take a trip over here and my Ex in her bolt on 03 would hand you your ass on street tires no problem. Can post it so people in your area can finally see a mustang beat a buick then. :biggrin: yea, it's alot easier to drag race an auto, but that doesn't mean everyone with a stick can't drive. All for you going for stock turbo/ic/etc, I appreciate people that run good setups and don't just throw parts(ie nitrous) at **** and still run slower times then others with alot less. I'm doing the same thing with my next car once the winter is over and my GN is sold except i'll be shooting for 11.xx bone stock.(not a GN and a 6 speed) good luck with your car.

Greg

Comparing these 2 cars is like comparing apples and oranges. Some people like apples, some oranges and some like both. They are both fast when they are stock and can be really fast when modified, tuned and driven by the right driver. I think both are great cars. They look sweet, sound cool and get attention almost everywhere they are driven. I love my Grand National and would not trade it for anything. I hope to buy a 2003 or 2004 Cobra within the next year or 2, then I'll have two great cars. As far as running 13's or whatever time bone stock, good luck. If it's not the way you bought off the showroom floor, it's not BONE STOCK.

Bolt ons couldn't have been that decent on the 03 Cobra. Very easy to make big power with those cars. There are 3 in my neck of the woods that are throwing down close to 600 at the wheels!!!:eek: Stock blower.

perhaps it was a kid driving daddys cobra?

LOL...I had some really good stuff to say until I noticed how old the original thread is...
I'll put my flame throwing hair dryer back down...

But...I really like the 03/04 Cobra's....great cars...desrving of much respect....might even own one some day.
I'll leave the rest of the thread alone....love my combo....