Another 03 cobra story...

THANK YOU! stock cobras are a full second faster than a stock GN. beating a pump gas true bolt on cobra is not really all that impressive with a built GN. is a twin-screw a bolt on for the cobras? i don't think so...neither are bigger turbos, nitrous, and so on for a GN.

Greg

You can bolt a turbo on for less than $500 and in *maybe* an hour. Thats as "bolt-on" as it comes.

I've seen STOCK GN's go low 13's and I've seen STOCK Cobras go mid-low 13's.

Its amazing at the tools that fill this forum now...you should have to pass a test to get a TB.

-Will

I am going to disagree with everyone :biggrin:

1st off, nitrous is AWESOME for turbo Buicks. Tarzan keep doing your thing, I sprayed my GN and loved it. If the 4.1 with the 6776 I am building doesn't scare me, I am going to spray it too. Nitrous is not a band-aid, if you want your car to run on the juice it's a lot easier to run a tight converter (which makes you mph really well) and still hammer people out of the hole.

However, a stock GN is not faster than a stock 03-04 Cobra. If you have MT radials and he has street tires or he sucks at launching/shifting then yeah you can win for sure. Those freaking cars pull really hard up high, your only chance to win is to kill the other guy out of the hole and pray he spins.

I am going to disagree with everyone :biggrin:

1st off, nitrous is AWESOME for turbo Buicks. Tarzan keep doing your thing, I sprayed my GN and loved it. If the 4.1 with the 6776 I am building doesn't scare me, I am going to spray it too. Nitrous is not a band-aid, if you want your car to run on the juice it's a lot easier to run a tight converter (which makes you mph really well) and still hammer people out of the hole.

However, a stock GN is not faster than a stock 03-04 Cobra. If you have MT radials and he has street tires or he sucks at launching/shifting then yeah you can win for sure. Those freaking cars pull really hard up high, your only chance to win is to kill the other guy out of the hole and pray he spins.

he said three years ago with low miles so that's possible. those coupes you see selling for 15k are with problems, high miles, and not something that reflects what regular prices of them are going for. that's like saying you bought a GN for 4 grand with a slipping trans, bad rust, and knocking motor and that's what they all go for... prices are coming way down on all cars, but not that much.

Greg

Not around here (Massachusetts). My buddy just picked up a sonic blue 03 with 42K miles for $15,500 and it already had an exhaust, shifter, filter and a couple other tasteful mods. 1 owner car that the guy could not sell. He ended up calling my buddy back 4 months after he initially made the guy the offer. They are out there, just have to look. :biggrin:

He said he ran a STOCK Cobra. **** guys, sell your TB's and buy a Cobra.

I set my car up like this for a reason, it hooks a LOT better on the street. My turbo and converter match up just fine, just ask the owner of the Cobra that I made this thread for.

Turbo Buick guys are so blinded by what the old guys told them, and so God awful scared of nitrous, that they never take advantage of it.

There is a reason many fast people use nitrous, its not bad. Its only bad for you if the other driver ISN't scared of it.

I hate these thread on here, because it seems like the only GN owners on here spend more time praising other cars....THEN GET THE OTHER ****ING CAR.

Theres a reason people at the races nationwide still fear outdated, big, black Buicks. Maybe you need to figure it out.

-Will

:biggrin: somebody is upset. sell my TB and buy a cobra? why? i kept my GN and bought the cobra anyways. i love people that post info about cars that they never owned, but of course they know every detail about them. the cobras an all around better car, don't kid yourself like it isn't.
Blind by what the old guys tell them? your running race gas and 17 psi.. I think you're the one that needs your eyes checked.and brain too. what exactly do I need to figure out? both my cars would have handed you your bottom(keeping it rated PG) and they didn't need nitrous or race gas to do it either. I never said nitrous was bad at all, I just asked if you ever thought of running alcohol and turning up the boost instead. fear these outdated big black buicks? do people duck and cover when they seem them or something?
A TURBO UPGRADE BEING A BOLT-ON!!!! now you're just being silly. are you really this dumb in real life or do you have an alter ego on the forums? please show me a bone stock GN going low 13s, did that one come with a 50 shot, bigger turbo, and drag radials from the factory as well?:rolleyes: the fact you're even comparing a stock GN with a stock cobra amazes me. you really have no idea. if you think the forums filled with tools, why do you even bother posting? pass a test to own a TB?? wow, your sir are one of a kind.

Vetroc: that may be the deal of a lifetime if it's not a salvage titled car. the cobras don't go for that cheap on a regular basis, check svtp, ebay and autotrader for proof. but what would i know..i only sold my brothers 03 cobra for him, my 03 cobra and had my GF purchase her's all within the last 4 months.

Greg

I don't like nitrous personally. I think alot of people use it as a crutch. However, if you've got an already rather quick car and slap it on just to add extra power, then sure. But I've got an issue with people who use it as a crutch.

Alky I'm fine with. I don't personally want to run it anytime soon. But I know in the future I will end up having to put it on my car to start running higher boost levels and getting some power to those wheels to magnify my future bolt ons.

My hats off to all you guys who are running fast cars with alky or nitrous though...

-Saladin

I don't like nitrous personally. I think alot of people use it as a crutch. However, if you've got an already rather quick car and slap it on just to add extra power, then sure. But I've got an issue with people who use it as a crutch.

Alky I'm fine with. I don't personally want to run it anytime soon. But I know in the future I will end up having to put it on my car to start running higher boost levels and getting some power to those wheels to magnify my future bolt ons.

My hats off to all you guys who are running fast cars with alky or nitrous though...

-Saladin

A crutch? It's no more of a crutch than alcohol injection is.

Alcohol injection you are trying to run high boost with crappy gas. THAT's a crutch. It works though ;)

Nitrous is ideal for turbo buicks.

We have been putting bigger turbos on these cars since they were available. Well that made us need a looser converter so it wouldn't be laggy. However when you put a really loose converter in your car you are losing top end speed due to increased slippage. What is the remedy?

Spray that thing :eek:

You can run a tighter converter because your juice will make it spool fast. You will run better up top because nitrous is awesome and that's what it does. You will probably even gain some mph up top even if you aren't spraying the whole track because you don't have a super loose converter. DonWG was running a ridiculously tight converter on his small CI motor with a 76 turbo :eek: That thing got out of the hole crazy fast why? Nitrous :cool:

We're not afraid of it. Most of us have combo's that don't NEED it.

If you want to race on the street and use nitrous, so be it. It probably works great for that.

What happens when you get to the tree second?

I'll be waiting for you at 10 psi.

The fast (I mean fast like Will) can use it at the track and kill. Built motors respond to stuff like that. A stock long block will soon be a two piece stock long block.

We're not afraid of it. Most of us have combo's that don't NEED it.

If you want to race on the street and use nitrous, so be it. It probably works great for that.

People street race? :eek:

What happens when you get to the tree second?

I'll be waiting for you at 10 psi.

Unless you are racing a sneaky bastard like Pekar. He will lurch up to the line second on 20 psi :biggrin:

The fast (I mean fast like Will)

LMAO

can use it at the track and kill. Built motors respond to stuff like that. A stock long block will soon be a two piece stock long block.

My 4.1 is possibly going to get nitrous. Forged pistons? What are forged pistons? :eek:

I think you and Stu are both planning to be sneaky. Good for us!

I plan on windowing my block and whoopin on a Ferd.

I think you and Stu are both planning to be sneaky. Good for us!

I plan on windowing my block and whoopin on a Ferd.

John IS sneaky. I am not. However, I will plan on breaking off a Ford or two or ten.

I am going to run a 12.99 on the motor and then in the eliminations I am going to run a 12.49 on the gas. I just hope mine holds together...I have this nice big turbo and I am afraid of using it like it needs to be used. Trust me, I don't have more than $500 in the entire engine, it's not going to be fast. If it is fast, it won't last long.

Yep 12.49 @ 110 is the ticket :D

As the owner of a low 11 sec Gn and a ported eaton/bolt on 03 cobra, i have this to say
At the track, give me the gn all day long--on the street from a roll--the cobra will flat out chop some heads--my car makes 505rwhp from the time i can get the pedal to floor until the time i let out. If you haven't seen a dyno sheet of an 03/04 cobra--do yourself a favor and look one up and see how much useable power they make.
I love both cars--just an opinion.

Geoff

Here is one:
KBCobraDynoSTMotorsports.jpg

i own a Cobra, and I know they're awesome cars. I just get tired of modern Buick owners not giving these cars their due credit. I can get 4 psi stalling and make just fine a pass all motor if I choose, I actually set my car up for nitrous. I run it a bit rich, run more octane, etc... There's more than one way to set up a quick car, just because I didn't do it your way doesn't mean I'm set up wrong. A turbo can be cheaper than a set of headers and bolts on quicker, its a bolt on.

I like mustangs, I own a Cobra and a nicely built 70 model. I know what a mustang or a Cobra can do, but I also know what a TB is capable of, and that's a LOT more than many modern TB owners give credit for.

-Will

Sorry, I'm reading this from my blackberry. Just stopped one the way back home from picking me up a nice daily driver (06 TBSS) see, I like all kinds of nice, fast cars :)

Also, I don't think I said I run race gas at 17 lbs, if I did that was a mistake. That wouldn't make any sense. I run pump on 17 and race gas calls for a bit more. Race gas and 17 lbs would just be crazy, that I know.

When I talked about the street thing, I meant street racing from a stop. My GN has a great setup for making sure its hooked, then tearing out. I wasn't talking about roll racing, an 03 Cobra takes that home hands down, and I won't take that away from em, I couldn't if I tried LOL!

-Will

:biggrin: somebody is upset. sell my TB and buy a cobra? why? i kept my GN and bought the cobra anyways. i love people that post info about cars that they never owned, but of course they know every detail about them. the cobras an all around better car, don't kid yourself like it isn't.
Blind by what the old guys tell them? your running race gas and 17 psi.. I think you're the one that needs your eyes checked.and brain too. what exactly do I need to figure out? both my cars would have handed you your bottom(keeping it rated PG) and they didn't need nitrous or race gas to do it either. I never said nitrous was bad at all, I just asked if you ever thought of running alcohol and turning up the boost instead. fear these outdated big black buicks? do people duck and cover when they seem them or something?
A TURBO UPGRADE BEING A BOLT-ON!!!! now you're just being silly. are you really this dumb in real life or do you have an alter ego on the forums? please show me a bone stock GN going low 13s, did that one come with a 50 shot, bigger turbo, and drag radials from the factory as well?:rolleyes: the fact you're even comparing a stock GN with a stock cobra amazes me. you really have no idea. if you think the forums filled with tools, why do you even bother posting? pass a test to own a TB?? wow, your sir are one of a kind.

Vetroc: that may be the deal of a lifetime if it's not a salvage titled car. the cobras don't go for that cheap on a regular basis, check svtp, ebay and autotrader for proof. but what would i know..i only sold my brothers 03 cobra for him, my 03 cobra and had my GF purchase her's all within the last 4 months.

Greg

My buddy did get lucky on his purchase, but there are some great deals out there. The prices just keep coming down. Its not only the Cobra's, its everything. Economy kind of sucks right now.

yes, used cars are getting cheaper because all of the domestic car companies are in big trouble right now and new car dealers are putting major discounts on their inventory to try to get rid of it. when it's easier to get a new car, used cars are going to get cheaper. I don't really know if they are discounting fast cars much though, so it might not really affect the price of used cobras and such.

OK, no, a BONE STOCK turbo buick running stock boost and all won't have much of a chance against a stock cobra. But just adding an adjustable wastegate and turning up the boost would give it a fighting chance, and if you go ahead and add a fuel pump, adj. pressure regulator, injectors, and chip, and maybe some better tires, you could probably get the cobra's goat. I think cobras are maybe capable of squeaking into the 12s stock (though most seem to run low 13s), and any buick that has even the basic level of mods that I'm describing should be in the 12s.

It only cost me a few hundred bucks to get those mods when i bought them (i buy pretty much all my stuff used on the forums), and we all know what turbo buicks are capable of if you sink just a little more into them! so considering the price difference between the two cars, i definitely wouldn't agree with turbogreg's assertion that the Cobra is an all-around better car. there are definitely things I think the Buick is better at. I don't know of many that beat the turbo buick as far as being able to go really fast for really cheap. Either car is capable of being a 10 second daily driver, but imo you could do it cheaper with the buick.

Even price nonwithstanding, I think the turbo buick is still a better all-around drag car, with its straight axle, auto tranny, and posi. Also, for any performance car, i prefer a turbo to a supercharger. its a lot easier to tune (no pulley swap), and its cheaper to upgrade. Since the Cobra has a roots blower and an integrated air-to-water intercooler, upgrading all that stuff costs a pretty penny, and its still a pain in the ass. parts for those things are pretty damn expensive imo.

Cobras have the advantage if you are one of those dudes who likes racing from a roll, and they are also undeniably better in the twisties. they also look really cool, and are a lot more likely to get the ladies, or to get you compliments in general. However, I'm not a big fan of racing ricer-style on the freeway, and I don't do circuit racing or auto-x (it might be fun, but its not my thing). my thing is racing stoplight to stoplight or dragging on an empty road, and maybe going to the track from time to time. In other words, the only kind of racing i really do is drag racing. and maybe its just because i'm a poor-ass law student and can't afford to do it any other way, but I really don't give a damn how good a car looks or whether people know its fast and give it "street cred." i actually prefer having something obscure, unassuming, or beater-looking that has lots of balls. So for me, the turbo buick is the perfect car. it's a bonus that i can actually afford one, unlike the cobra. plus, when you beat somebody with a buick, you always get the joy of saying, "it's not too bad for an 80s v-6, huh?"

henschman,
there's many of cobras that went 12's out the box on the same tires they came off the showroom floor with. what I was trying to get at is stock for stock there is nothing performance wise that the GN has over the 03/04 cobras. goes faster, stops better, handles better..anything can be made fast with enough $ thrown at it if you want to compare them with mods. I think people get the wrong idea with the turbo buicks until they build one up themselves. i'm not saying that in a mean way to anyone, so don't take any offense, but it's not as simple as doing a few bolt ons. if you want to go 12s all day then sure it's not too hard, but 11s and deeper will cost a couple of $'s. especially if you want it to be reliable. i'm going to have to disagree with you on the 10 second daily driver part. the driver is really what hurts the modded cobras from getting into the 10s certainly not the cars. plus your going to need race gas or alky, a built trans w/converter, and if you want to do it reliably the stock bottom end is going to need to be beefed up on the TB. the cobra will do it on pump gas, stock trans w/aftermarket clutch, and on stock block. I think the cobra $ for $ mod wise will go faster than the GN and it's a MUCH better daily driver than the buicks. the cobra parts really aren't all that expensive..plus the platform it comes with already is awesome so you'll save on trans builds and motor builds.
for the comment on racing from a roll, that's not really "ricer" racing to most. I think I've gotten less than 5 real dig races in any of my cars on the street but I can't count how many roll runs. just a lot easier to come across from my experiences.
I'm glad you love your TB, I enjoyed mine too, but it's tough to compare them to some of the newer cars that are just better in basically every category.

Greg

Cobras in Memphis must be weaksauce. We roll 600hp Cobras out of the shop on a bi-weekly basis and Ive seen them run mid 10s in street trim. Those cars are so underrated horsepower wise, its just disgusting.

When I worked for Ford we had a ton. Procharger is based right up the road, so we used to sell them thier cars and align them after mods. They were flat out bad ass. I was always impressed with them. The bottom end alone was worth it. Alot of them swap on a kenne bell and put some boost to them usually 18-20psi:eek: They make for a real nice car.

The new Whipple is the hot ticket for the Cobras. We havent had much luck with the KB stuff.. they tend to want to lock up.