Another 03 cobra story...

TARZAN

Half ass, on kill
Well, I got my exhaust issues fixed (was hitting and bringing false knock retard). Got it dialed back in on a 50 shot, 17 lbs., and 93 octane. Went out to the lil local street race here in Memphis, and only raced once....jumped out about 4, pulled a lil more, let out early, and that was pretty much that....03 Cobra, pretty decent bolt ons too. Not too bad for an old stock longblock Buick ;)

-Will

I liked the car soo much though, that I went and got me a 97 Cobra myself LOL

-Will

Well, I got my exhaust issues fixed (was hitting and bringing false knock retard). Got it dialed back in on a 50 shot, 17 lbs., and 93 octane. Went out to the lil local street race here in Memphis, and only raced once....jumped out about 4, pulled a lil more, let out early, and that was pretty much that....03 Cobra, pretty decent bolt ons too. Not too bad for an old stock longblock Buick ;)

-Will

Bolt ons couldn't have been that decent on the 03 Cobra. Very easy to make big power with those cars. There are 3 in my neck of the woods that are throwing down close to 600 at the wheels!!!:eek: Stock blower.

Just because you can put it down on a dyno doesn't mean you can put it to use on the street ;)

-Will

Just because you can put it down on a dyno doesn't mean you can put it to use on the street ;)

that's the truth. had both my 87 GN pretty well modded and just sold my 03 cobra with bolt ons (480rwhp). the cobras are not very easy to launch especially on the street. awesome cars though. if those 3 cobras are putting down close to 600 to the wheels on stock blower they must be spraying a 100+shot. probably ported too.
TARZAN, what's your mods? good kill, putting 4+ on a termi is always impressive.

Greg

Stock engine, gt6132, Art Carr 200, massive trans cooler, 3,000 stall, HD driveshaft w/ loop, 9" rear w/ 3.20's, uppers and lowers, shocks/struts, MT 275/50/15 DR'son stock wheels, AFPR, 60#'s, 340 in tank relayed hot wire, Scanmaster, Battery RElocation,TT Chip, voltage booster, Accufab plenum and TB, BGC SL IC, GM 3.5" MAF, MAF-T, turbo diesel K&N, ported stock mani's, THDP usually open dump, NOS Wet kit currently spraying a 50 shot. Some mild weight reduction, more on the way.

It looks like a good list, but realistically its just a bolt on GN with some parts it probably doesn't even require yet. :) Just enough bog to hook, just enough juice to fix the bog.

-Will

Not to interrupt, but on a related note, I was raped last night by my buddy's stock 03 Cobra. My car was launching excellent with 3-5 lb boost, which he could not keep up with, but as soon as he shifted to 2nd, the race was over. :mad:

I have enough bolt-on's sitting in my garage to put up a better fight, I just don't have the heart to decomission the GN while the weather is favorable.

Not to interrupt, but on a related note, I was raped last night by my buddy's stock 03 Cobra. My car was launching excellent with 3-5 lb boost, which he could not keep up with, but as soon as he shifted to 2nd, the race was over. :mad:

I have enough bolt-on's sitting in my garage to put up a better fight, I just don't have the heart to decomission the GN while the weather is favorable.

It was a stock Cobra? Do you have anything done to your GN? A stock turbo car with the right mods should be able to take out a stock Cobra.

This is a problem that needs attention. Fix it, and return with details :biggrin:

-Will

No mods to his cobra, I only have a 2-1/2" Hooker Catless, a set of BFG Dr's, and two air bags.

I know I have the edge on him with the launch, its just a matter of finding enough hp to keep that lead. I plan to keep bolting on until he starts to second guess why he spent $30k on his car, when my 21 year old buick can walk away from him with a couple thousand in go-fast parts.

No mods to his cobra, I only have a 2-1/2" Hooker Catless, a set of BFG Dr's, and two air bags.

I know I have the edge on him with the launch, its just a matter of finding enough hp to keep that lead. I plan to keep bolting on until he starts to second guess why he spent $30k on his car, when my 21 year old buick can walk away from him with a couple thousand in go-fast parts.

it's going to be extremely hard for a stock turbo GN to hold off even a stock cobra. once the cobra gets into third, it will be gaining ground VERY fast. just hope he doesn't throw on an exhaust, intake, and pulley himself because then it could get very ugly. a set of nittos on the cobra will help the launch a great deal as well. not too fair running from a dig with a turbo auto car on drag radials vs a 6 speed on street tires if that's what he was on. cobras are coming down in price too, he must have gotten a super low mileage comp orange or mystic chrome for 30k. sold my 03 for 22.6k and my gf picked up her bolt on 03(5,000 original miles) for $25,000. to the op, every think of ditching the nitrous for an alky kit?

Greg

it's going to be extremely hard for a stock turbo GN to hold off even a stock cobra. once the cobra gets into third, it will be gaining ground VERY fast. just hope he doesn't throw on an exhaust, intake, and pulley himself because then it could get very ugly. a set of nittos on the cobra will help the launch a great deal as well. not too fair running from a dig with a turbo auto car on drag radials vs a 6 speed on street tires if that's what he was on. cobras are coming down in price too, he must have gotten a super low mileage comp orange or mystic chrome for 30k. sold my 03 for 22.6k and my gf picked up her bolt on 03(5,000 original miles) for $25,000. to the op, every think of ditching the nitrous for an alky kit?

Greg

I know I can't touch him with a stock GN. I found out the hard way last night. I do; however, have the following parts in the garage just begging to be strapped on:

LS1 MAF (Still need the translator), 3-1/2" Cold Air, 3" Downpipe (in need of a 3" dump pipe), Walbro 340 w/hotwire, Lucas 009's w/chip, Adj. FPR, Direct Scan, and I am going to do the homemade adjustable WG actuator.

Do you think this will give me a chance at him once I find the time for the goodies above? Alky will be my x-mas gift to myself and won't debut until next spring probably.

He's had it for three years now, he got it with 8K miles for around $28-30K (it is black by the way). He is pretty decent at shifting, definately not an amatuer, but his 6 speed can't get his street tires to hook like my DR's. I don't forsee him adding any exhaust/intake/pulley to it. Thankfully, he is not the kind of guy that would put on his own go-fast parts, and I dont think he has the cash on hand to hire it out. :eek:

Get those mods on, get it dialed in on high boost and high octane, and hurt his feelings.

Ditch nitrous for alky? 2 different things. Alky makes it safer and easier to add HP, nitrous actually adds it. I run 110+ when I spray. Nitrous also gives me instant boost, which comes in REAL handy. Car has cut 1.5 60's in true street trim. Alky isn't gonna make it do that.

-Will

On another note, there have been plenty low 12 stock turbo GN's. A stock Cobra is not a low 12 car. *most* Cobra drivers are low 13's at best in stock trim

-Will

Get those mods on, get it dialed in on high boost and high octane, and hurt his feelings.

Ditch nitrous for alky? 2 different things. Alky makes it safer and easier to add HP, nitrous actually adds it. I run 110+ when I spray. Nitrous also gives me instant boost, which comes in REAL handy. Car has cut 1.5 60's in true street trim. Alky isn't gonna make it do that.

-Will

if you had a properly matched converter and turbo you wouldn't need the spray to help with spool up. no way in hell your bogging and still cutting a 1.5 60 foot. you say you bog without your nitrous, then use it to "fix" your problem, why not just run a correct setup from the beginning and you won't need another power adder to fix anything? i guess your true street trim definition is a little different than most...race gas, nitrous, and drag radials..:rolleyes: all those low 12 second TB's were on race gas/alky, a sticky tire, and a bit more than just higher boost on the stock turbo. plenty of people cut 1.5 60's in TB's with drag radials, suspension work and a properly matched turbo and converter. your original post said you were "dialed in" at 17psi, a 50 shot and 93 octane(not 110+ like you said you run when you are on nitrous). is that what was run when you put 4+ off the line on that decent bolt on cobra and pulled a lil more? that decent bolt on cobra must have been on street tires with a 95 year old woman with too much arthritis to fully push down the gas pedal behind the wheel. you beat the driver, but not too bad for an old stock longblock buick..with a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, built rear, built trans, nitrous, possibly race gas, and one of the most sticky drag radials on the market.

lnkncontiverto,
i'd suggest 60 lb injectors over the 009s if you ever want to upgrade the turbo down the road and plan on doing the alky as well. get a nice Turbotweak alky chip to match and your golden. if you plan on staying with the stock turbo and ic, make sure you stay on your bfg's and stay with going from a dig. anything can happen on the street from a stop so give it a shot. fun run between friends so should be a good time. maybe even try it from a 40 roll and see the outcome too.

Greg

On another note, there have been plenty low 12 stock turbo GN's. A stock Cobra is not a low 12 car. *most* Cobra drivers are low 13's at best in stock trim

-Will

I beg to differ...If you are saying that a stock turbo GN with all the usual bolt ons can do low 12's, then wouldn't it be fair to say that a stock blower 03/04 Cobra with all the usual bolt ons can run low 11's?

As I stated in my above post, it is very easy to get VERY close to 600RWHP in those Cobras. Now driving the car right is obviously a big part of how well you run, but don't take anything away from those cars, they are truly a force to reckon with. Having said that, the GN's can also be made to go very fast...Its all about how much you want to spend,;)

Anyone who spends $30K on an 03 Cobra is an idiot. The coupes are selling for as low as $15K and verts I have seen in the $19K's. Prices are coming way down on those cars. Actually, a stock GN with 10K miles would be much more than a stock 03/04 Cobra with similar miles.

I beg to differ...If you are saying that a stock turbo GN with all the usual bolt ons can do low 12's, then wouldn't it be fair to say that a stock blower 03/04 Cobra with all the usual bolt ons can run low 11's?

As I stated in my above post, it is very easy to get VERY close to 600RWHP in those Cobras. Now driving the car right is obviously a big part of how well you run, but don't take anything away from those cars, they are truly a force to reckon with. Having said that, the GN's can also be made to go very fast...Its all about how much you want to spend,;)

THANK YOU! stock cobras are a full second faster than a stock GN. beating a pump gas true bolt on cobra is not really all that impressive with a built GN. is a twin-screw a bolt on for the cobras? i don't think so...neither are bigger turbos, nitrous, and so on for a GN.

Greg

Anyone who spends $30K on an 03 Cobra is an idiot. The coupes are selling for as low as $15K and verts I have seen in the $19K's. Prices are coming way down on those cars. Actually, a stock GN with 10K miles would be much more than a stock 03/04 Cobra with similar miles.

he said three years ago with low miles so that's possible. those coupes you see selling for 15k are with problems, high miles, and not something that reflects what regular prices of them are going for. that's like saying you bought a GN for 4 grand with a slipping trans, bad rust, and knocking motor and that's what they all go for... prices are coming way down on all cars, but not that much.

Greg

He said he ran a STOCK Cobra. **** guys, sell your TB's and buy a Cobra.

I set my car up like this for a reason, it hooks a LOT better on the street. My turbo and converter match up just fine, just ask the owner of the Cobra that I made this thread for.

Turbo Buick guys are so blinded by what the old guys told them, and so God awful scared of nitrous, that they never take advantage of it.

There is a reason many fast people use nitrous, its not bad. Its only bad for you if the other driver ISN't scared of it.

I hate these thread on here, because it seems like the only GN owners on here spend more time praising other cars....THEN GET THE OTHER ****ING CAR.

Theres a reason people at the races nationwide still fear outdated, big, black Buicks. Maybe you need to figure it out.

-Will