All stock.....bad times...

davef

Still Learning
What is the best time that I could get with a new chip? 87 GN is 100% original. Took it to the track today. Best time was 14.8 @ 91mph.

Save yourself alot of money and aggravation... Leave it stock !!! Once you have been bitten by the need for speed all bets are off as to how much down time the car will have.

Bryan

Do you have a time slip? What does the car weigh? How many miles on it? What was your 60ft?

What is the best time that I could get with a new chip? 87 GN is 100% original. Took it to the track today. Best time was 14.8 @ 91mph.

It all depends on boost and timing which is determined mostly, in a stock car anyway, by the octane of the fuel you are willing to run and what state of tune the car is in. With all Spring cleaning done and all systems working within spec, then a stock car with 20-22psi of boost and 24-26 degrees of verified advance using C16 or something should go in the mid 12's easy at 109mph or so. A new chip can be programmed for the above tune but you'll need the octane to drive it around like that unless you just never go WOT on pump gas; or just get two chips, one for street and one for strip.

Seems that something isn't right with the car...... maybe it needs a tune up?

Chuck

The MPH is pretty low. The car should run 96-97 thru the traps stock. What were the track conditions like?

Neal

Man, are you sure you want to go down this road? Not too many 100% stock ones left out there. If you decide to do the deal, though, we are ready to help.

....87 GN is 100% original. Took it to the track today. Best time was 14.8 @ 91mph.

I have some time slips when my first Buick was new, and your time slip is almost the same as a few of mine. :)

Some were not even that good with the original tires. :(

A chip, race gas, modified wastegate for more than stock boost, better tires, K and N filter and no cat finally got it into the 13's.

I stopped there with that car at less than 9000 miles, and it has been stored ever since.

Rather cool to take an occasional drive in an "almost new" turbo car! :D

My experiences were almost identical to Nick's. Back in late 86 my car ran in the mid/upper 14's 100% stock on showroom stock tires, etc. etc. Changed to a high perfomance chip, race gas, higher boost, and a REAL sticky track netted a 13.10
A genuine 100% bone stock GN on crappy tires, and not so good a track likely isn't going to turn much below mid 14's. (DEPENDING ON DRIVER EXPERTISE).

My car was stock when I got it quite a few years back short of a k&n intake I had to install and it ran 14.2 @ 96mph but that was with 15psi instead of 12, good gas, and an unknown chip on 20 year old Gatorbacks. I too don't think your times sound bad.

Thanks for sharing your stories guys. It's nice to hear them.

Theres an old legend that a bone stock 87 Monte SS ran mid 14's or something because the tester drove it like he stole it,manual shifting D to OD or I don't even know what ha ha-redline this or that at sea level with slicks puked the tranny after a couple passes...anyway makes for a story. Maybe you gotta drive your car like you hate it.

Nah !!! most guys in here are pussys... Like doing a stroker motor an run high 12s with it. Hey ya don't want to take a chance of blowing it up :p

I guess that means I am not a pussy...LOL

I have blown mine up alot...

Bryan

I have blown mine up alot. On my 3rd motor in a little over 2 years. But this one should last a while I hope. Fingers,knees and eyes crossed.

Theres an old legend that a bone stock 87 Monte SS ran mid 14's or something because the tester drove it like he stole it,manual shifting D to OD or I don't even know what ha ha-redline this or that at sea level with slicks puked the tranny after a couple passes...anyway makes for a story. Maybe you gotta drive your car like you hate it.

I seen one run 15.2, runs ranged between 15.2-15.45. This is with the 5.0, that floored me, I didn't think that was even possible. I thought the best it would run was a high 15. On a good day he could be flirting with 15 flats.

My humble opinion is a modern chip is mandatory if you go WOT. The 93 octane of 1987 is NOT the same 93 octane of 2012.
1987 used Motor (MON) octane numbering system; and 2000-something they changed to R+M/2 so the octane number is slightly lower today.
If you continue to push it you might be changing head gaskets.