Alky injection to finish. ( I know this has probably been beat to death)

14mins

For about the last 12 years i had had to listen to a friend of mine brag about how fast his 1968 Dodge Charger is. The car has a rebuilt 383 and i would be willing to bet that real good parts WERE NOT used in the rebuilding stage. Of course for the last 12 years the car has not been driven due to mechanical issues and the lack of funds to fix. Times have changed and it looks like the 1968 RT Charger is going to fire up shortly. The best i can figure it has a basic rebuilt 383 ( NO PORTING) with a new Holley 750 double pumper, new MSD ignition and a basic tune up. I have listened to this guy brag for years on end about the "Great RT Charger" and as soon as he gets it back on the road i want to get a piece of it.

My car is a 1987 Buick Grand National with 135k on the original motor and i have owned it since 1990. I have done all the basic upgrades, walbro fuel pump, hot wire kit, scanmaster, guages, 3 inch downpipe, dual exhaust no cat, ported the turbo bell, dutweiler neck on the intercooler, RJC power plate, new bell on the turbo intake, 9 inch K@N conefilter, upgraded the valve springs, adjustable wastegate, did the porting and polish of the elbow, art carr trans shift kit, art car trans pan, thrasher chip, Adjustable fuel regulator and 32 pound injectors ( i know i made a mistake there, not going larger at the time) Probably a few other items i have forgotten about. The annual spring clean tune up and the car runs good. Everything is in good shape, does not burn oil just leaks it a little. All the sensors are in the right ranges.

I could just get a race chip and dump in 5 gallons of fuel and go with it. I would rather not go that route.

I would like to go with razors alky kit and a TT chip. I have no really looked at prices but figure it is about 600 bucks give or take. Is this a good idea? Or can 600 to 750 dollars be spent buying different parts? I am able to work on the car myself and i am not afraid to make changes. Unless something major happens i am at least 3 more years away from a complete overhaul and turbo upgrade.

I honestly do not think i have much to worry about now, Just want to make dam sure because i would never here the end of it. Right now i run about 15 to 16 pounds of boost when i get a good tank of gas and 13 to 15 with crap superunleaded with no knock or just a trace on upshift. Thanks for the help, i just got to make sure the Charger is in my rear view mirror and looking small.

Yes definitely spend the cash now on a TT chip and Alky injection. Think of it this way: the alky serves as an octane booster to sort of convert regular gasoline into race fuel. You could probably run 110 octane in the tank and achieve the same results but with the alky injection, you can run 92 in the tank plus the alky, it turns on only when you need it and with the Razors kit it only delivers as much alky as the engine requires. With the alky you can safely turn your boost up, providing you have no knock, to about 22 PSI. I urge you to talk to Julio more on this, as he has helped me out greatly.

Add alky and chip...he's toast. Alky should be first, then order the 65's and a chip from TT later to cover the rematch.

Is there any part throttle driveability issues with a alky kit? In everyday driving i do not plan on touching 22 plus psi on the turbo dial. I know the system is progressive and starts around 5 psi. If less than full throtle do you sense it kick in? Are there situations in every day driving that make a alky kit a burden? I am sold on the full throttle 22 plus psi part, just a little concerned on the other 75 percent of the time or more when just crusing/merging in traffic. I appreciate the responses.

The Alkycontrol kit will be a good investment. The only time it's an inconvenience in daily driving is when you are almost out of methanol and your source won't have a new delivery for a few days. But in these cases, you can always run on denatured alky (in your nearby Lowes or Home Depot paint section) for a few days untile youe source receives methanol.

You can safely and reasonably accelerate at 4lb boost without having the alky come on, but it is there when you need it, just press the test bottun for a few seconds to prime the system if it has not been in use for awile....
Or...for your daily driving, just turn off the alky, turn down your boost and run a non-alky chip and then on race days, put your alky chip in, crank 'er up and reap the whirlwind!

Is there any part throttle driveability issues with a alky kit? In everyday driving i do not plan on touching 22 plus psi on the turbo dial. I know the system is progressive and starts around 5 psi. If less than full throtle do you sense it kick in? Are there situations in every day driving that make a alky kit a burden? I am sold on the full throttle 22 plus psi part, just a little concerned on the other 75 percent of the time or more when just crusing/merging in traffic. I appreciate the responses.

No drivability issues at all with an Alkycontrol. In fact as mentioned it doesn't come on until you hit like 5-7 PSI depending on where you have the PAC controller set at. Otherwise it just sits there on standby, until you need it....to blow that Vette/Mustang/Ricer off the road.

You should have no problem beating him.A almost stock 383 is pretty weak.Now if it was a 440 car it would be alittle closer.I think you have him the way your car sits now.Do you have any track times yet,if so post them.I would bet if his car is mostly stock he would be lucky to run 9.0 - 9.3s in the eight mile.My old gn in stock form ran a 8.64 and after a tt chip,3 inch downpipe,hooker cat back and somewhat sticky goodyear soft radials it ran an 8.4.

Challengermike- I do not have any times. The last time i was on the track in it was around 1995. Seems like it ran a 8.1 in the 1/8th with just a chip and some race gas NO OTHER mods at all. :confused:

My mind is made up and monday i am going to order Razors kit with a TT chip. Should i buy a 2nd chip for running without alky or a alky race chip? I am not going for a all out max effort here. I would be thrilled to see 20 or 21 pounds of boost and not run to the edge. The only thing i regret is the 32 pound injectors but hell they made a world of difference at the time. They must have been cheap becasue i knew 42's were the norm when i got these. My how times have changed over the years.

Is there any reason to order the kit from someone other than razor? Over the years i have bought most of the parts i have needed from Cotton or Jay's?

I'd buy directly from Razor, simply because it's his product and his tech assistance is awesome IMO. Plus when i bought mine back before the Buick nats, I also received a free t shirt. Not sure if that promotional offer is still standing though.

Anyways you pay Julio $530 and he ships you everything you need. Yeah you can usually get them from Gbodyparts for $455 but I don't believe it comes with the 3 bar map sensor. Although it can be bought separately.

As far as the chip, as long as you plan to always have alky on tap in the jug I'd just have Eric burn you an alky chip, that way you don't have to pull the ECM out for a chip swap when you don't want to run alky. But if you plan to upgrade the injectors I'd just get them now too, that way you can have a new chip done now and be done with it and not have to do it all over again.

You should have no problem beating him.A almost stock 383 is pretty weak.Now if it was a 440 car it would be alittle closer.I think you have him the way your car sits now.Do you have any track times yet,if so post them.I would bet if his car is mostly stock he would be lucky to run 9.0 - 9.3s in the eight mile.My old gn in stock form ran a 8.64 and after a tt chip,3 inch downpipe,hooker cat back and somewhat sticky goodyear soft radials it ran an 8.4.

I agree.
The stock 383 Dodges were lucky to break into anything less than an 15.0.
Your GN bone stock could do low 14's with a good stock tune. He'd get you off the line but you'd be pulling him along before it's over.

Now with all you've listed in your post...add alky and you're easily in the 12's with a conservative tune. Nail your launch and 60 foot and you might even go deeper.

Summed up...your buddy is gonna wish he hadn't picked this fight...invite lots of witnesses and have fun!!!

You won't regret alky and tt chip, no drivability issues either for normal driving. Yes larger injectors are a great idea, eric has a special I believe on chip and 60#ers too if you have some extra $. Also, I hope you have some good sticky tires!!! After you add alky and chip regular street tires are a pain to try to race people with (ask me how I know!!!).

This is one of those you want LOTS of witnesses for.

Spend the time pre-race making sure he gets AMPLE oppurtunity to brag and boast and chest thump, only adding "my car's fast but I want to see how it holds with such a legendary car" just keep it low key on your end. Then lay down the smack and let that do your talking.

I will have my wife and kid on the video camera. This will be all over the small town i live in. Like i said i have heard this for at least 12 years.I even went to grade school with him in the early 1970's. He moved away in the mid 1990's and when he came back the car was DOA. I do not just want to beat him i want to half track him!!!!! I would feel confident that a chip and race fuel would do it but i got the wife saying "MAKE DAM SURE!!!!" so spending some cash is not an issue. Bless her heart!!

I know i need to up the injectors but do not want to make but 1 change at a time and make sure all is well.

I have had the car for many many years and it does run well with no issues now.

Don't forget that alky is a fuel too. It may not be the ideal solution to your injector needs but watch your tune and if you are running lean at top then you may be able to turn the alky up a little to get your numbers right. The main thing I would recommend is to get a few runs under your belt to dust off the cob webs and get used to your new found alky power before you start picking on the big bad Dodge. Some of those cars can be made to hook so he may get you on the leave but have enough confidence in your car that you don't make a mistake if you have to play catch up and you should wipe the track with him unless he's been lying about his build. Of course most people with mouths that big usually don't have the power to back it up. :wink:

Of course most people with mouths that big usually don't have the power to back it up. :wink:

Very true, I've found most people who've done enough and built enough that they're a real badass that they tend to not be real mouthy, they've been there, they know there's always someone faster. It's those quiet guys you gotta watch out for.

To the thread starter, please make sure you take video you can post to the net for us to all enjoy!

The scary thing about this guy is he is like a light switch, all on or all off. BTW the car has drum brakes on the front.:eek: He actually told my son that he was driving the Charger once at 155 mph and still had a couple of inches of accel pedal left. ROFL. To be honest i expect him to blow the dam thing up before we actually race. He is one of those "my stuff is better thn yours" when he really has nothing. Any story you tell he ALWAYS has a bigger or better one. Known him for all 40 years now. You can not escape this type of person in a small town.

Monday is order day and can not wait to post how the install goes and it works.

If i decide to go ahead and buy injectors on monday what size and or brand? for what i have listed.

If you're going for bigger injectors, just buy one of Turbotweaks sets. 60lb with the alky chip included. It will go well with the alky and the rest of your combo, plus give you room to grow.

Alky kit has made it to Waco Tx, hopefully i wll get it by friday so i can work on the install this weekend.

Best thing about alky is that you can set it and forget it. Switching from a street tune to a race tune (when you put in race gas) can cause problems due to switching things up. Get it tuned for alky and then you are good to go 100% of the time.

I ran 116 octane for about a year, i didn't drive the car much, but I hated sitting at a light idling, knowing that I was burning $10 a gallon gas.