Air Conditioning Compressor

1of1547

Village Idiot!!!
Is there any way to tell if the air conditioning compressor will still work? While my motor is tore down I would like to find out if i need a new one. They car was out of Freon when I bought it. I bought a new accumulator.But I still have to buy the seals. Should I use R12 or R134. I may be able to get some R12. I have one can now. But I may be able to get more. How many cans will it take?

Go with the R-12. I know it's more expensive, but it will cool a lot better than the 134. I'm not sure how much it takes, I need to know myself, but if your system is sealed properly it will last forever. BTW, I still need to know how to locate a leak in the system. Anybody?

Leaks

While I don't know really know how to find a leak, all of the GN's I've ever owned leaked (I could see the oil ever so slowly oozing)from the seals behind the compressor where the aluminun piece bolts to it. All of the moving around of the hoses to play with the K&N air cleaner caused mine to leak. 6 bucks will fix it. Be sure to loosen the bolt slowly, the pressure is very high in there, and buy lots of freon the system holds just over 3 lbs.

Dave

im running 414b(hotshot) a direct dropin for r-12 at the cost of 134a and gets about 10 degrees colder than r-12.just have the r-12 recovered,evaquate the system and leak test it and recharge with 414b and your good to go-no need to change the oil-matt

im running 414b(hotshot) a direct dropin for r-12 at the cost of 134a and gets about 10 degrees colder than r-12.just have the r-12 recovered,evaquate the system and leak test it and recharge with 414b and your good to go-no need to change the oil-matt

Where did you buy the 414b(hotshot) at?
I need to charge my A/C before it really gets hot.

TIA
:)

You can also use Freeze12 as a drop-in replacement for R-12. I converted to 134a 2 years ago. It works fine when the temps aren't scorching, but once the outside air gets above 85 or so, it has trouble keeping the car cold. I'm thinking of switching back to one of the r-12 replacements.

Originally posted by 1of1547
.......... I may be able to get some R12. I have one can now. But I may be able to get more. How many cans will it take?

An East coast source for cans of R-12 would be Jay's GN. He had some at the GSCA Nationals.

i get my 414b from abco refrigeration supply house in the nyc area,or any other major refrigeration supply houses for about $203.00 for 30 lb can-check the yellow pages in your area