A true 700HP Turbo??

Hello troym55.
Couple of questions first.
You say 700hp, do you mean at the wheels, or at the flywheel?
Has the motor been built to handle this kind of power or is it a Stage motor?
Let's say you want 700 at the wheels and it is indeed a stage motor, then seeing how you are running ATR 4 bolt headers, this opens up alot of possiblities. If it's a stage motor, I would recommend a PT74 GT-Q turbo. If it's a production motor, then I would choose a PT71 GT-Q turbo. With both of these you will need at least a 3500 flash stall converter. The reason for the 74 on the stage motor is, you need a larger turbo too feed the bigger motor. These two turbos would easily be able to make 700 at the wheels with either type of motor.
Let us know more about your combo and what or if you plan to race the car in any classes.
Hope this helps a little.
Patrick
Precision Turbo & Engine
Sales & Tech

Thanks...Patrick,

Well im kind of new with the buick V6.. I trying to do alot of research before I put a ton a cash into my GN. So I read alot of tech articles..I came across a ESP article they had a stock block and crank forged pistons and a custom cam. Ok now they put on this girdle that handled 700HP I guess it was at the crank. So to anwser your question, I most likly will go stage II. But heres the kicker!!!! I want to have at least 700-900HP and be able to drive the car at least 3-4 times a week if so...I have been gathering parts here and there, like headers, exhaust, fuel pump. Actually just bought a FAST system from a friend in California. I have had many turbo cars before, but this GN is something special...It is a true DARTH VADER MACHINE.....LOL

You have to go with a Stage motor and a 76 to get to low 9's on a lighter than stock TR. That would put you around the 900 flhp area and prolly high 700rwhp area. Since your going to street drive it, most would suggest a hydraulic roller, and I would personally suggest a Turbonetics or Innovative ball bearing turbo to keep engine and tranny temps down on the street because you can run less stall.

Partick,

Assuming a production block built to handle the power, what turbo would you recommend for a mid-high 9 second TR? This would be a strip car only with a 'braked TH400. The car in question (my GN) went 10.79 with a Q trim non-BB Turbonetics T70 with a tiny .58a/r and a 2004R. I'm looking to take some weight out of it and upgrade the turbo a bit for some high 9 second passes. The 10.79 pass was at 28psi. The car was tuned at 33psi so it had some left in it. The T70 and I have since parted ways and I am looking for a replacement. Thanks!

troym55, sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread!

Troy, my Dad is going through the same thing you are right now.

He has a Stage 2 block, M&A heads, TH 400 and the car is a little lighter than stock but not much. He is trying to go 9.90s or so with it.

We are trying out a newer turbo , twin ball bearing this weekend. We will let you know how it works out. It should make the kind of HP you are looking for.

I have seen some guys here run 9.9x with 70 series wheels on stock blocks. They only last so long before the main caps walk or the crank gives in.

If you want a reliable motor ( this is where there will be lots of disagreement) go with a Stage block, forged crank and it will live.

Here is the interesting thing. You can go mid 10s on stock block and keep it reliable provided it is tuned properly. So as usual the faster you want to go the more expensive it becomes.

Reggie, im actually building a stage II motor this year, but my GN is going to stay w/stock block girdle billet caps and so on. I will prpbably go t-70 to mess around on the street with a FAST system. and a set of GN1 heads. The stage motor will of course have the best of everything and when you say expensive thats an understatment..lol...Troy:D

Originally posted by Reggie West

We are trying out a newer turbo , twin ball bearing this weekend.

Excellent choice! :)

Single or twin ball-bearing turbos...the 2 best choices...take your pick! :)

Reggie West

I have to see a girdled block with a steel crank in a 109 come apart. Most out there just run a stock crank with 4 caps, hence the reason for the breakdowns.

Originally posted by Reggie West
Troy, my Dad is going through the same thing you are right now.

He has a Stage 2 block, M&A heads, TH 400 and the car is a little lighter than stock but not much. He is trying to go 9.90s or so with it.

We are trying out a newer turbo , twin ball bearing this weekend. We will let you know how it works out. It should make the kind of HP you are looking for.

I have seen some guys here run 9.9x with 70 series wheels on stock blocks. They only last so long before the main caps walk or the crank gives in.

If you want a reliable motor ( this is where there will be lots of .

Hi Reggie,
We just went 9.64@141 at 3620lb with that 76 turbo I got from ya. A 76 with the right combo will get you in the mid 9s.

I read on another forum (prolly turbonatr) that there is a mod or a swap of housings that will allow 600-700hp and still look like a stock GN turbo? Does anyone know of this and what the cost would be? I will be running 2 of them, and don't want to have to change flanges and play with the piping once I get the kit built, plus I can say they are just stock GN turbos. :D Thanks for any info on this. I am trying to build an inexpensive kit and already have 1 low low mileage stock '87 GN turbo. What are some good turbos that are pretty inexpensive ($300 ea or so) that will handle 400+hp each, TE44's, TA49's??????

Thanks, Brian

Now that I looked around a bit I found some info and looks like any of these could be rather good units TE-34, TA-49, TA-60, TE-44. What is the most common out of what I listed and is widely used? I see most are going in the $400-450 zone, so I may just sell my stocker to add in on the $300 a piece deal.

Lonnie that is good to hear.

I agree with you, the 76 will do the job. Jeff Rand is doing 10.2x with his and it is a matter of time before he hits 9s with his too.

Originally posted by il_wolf_li
I read on another forum (prolly turbonatr) that there is a mod or a swap of housings that will allow 600-700hp and still look like a stock GN turbo? Does anyone know of this and what the cost would be? I will be running 2 of them, and don't want to have to change flanges and play with the piping once I get the kit built, plus I can say they are just stock GN turbos. :D Thanks for any info on this. I am trying to build an inexpensive kit and already have 1 low low mileage stock '87 GN turbo. What are some good turbos that are pretty inexpensive ($300 ea or so) that will handle 400+hp each, TE44's, TA49's??????

Thanks, Brian

Yup, it was me. The turbo in question is the "Stealth" turbo and it will support 750hp according to Precision's site. They run about $1000. I believe it is a 70mm wheel clipped to 68.5mm and shoved in a stock-size housing.

BTW, unless you find them used, you won't find a TE44 or TA49 for $300 bucks. Even used, they will be tough to find that cheap.

Just want to say sorry to Troym55 for posting a question in his thread.

turbonatr, yea that was it, sounds like that is to spendy for what I am looking to do, unless I wanted to run just a single....lol. Yea I will be looking for a pair of TE44's or TA49's, I will spend a little more but at least they are internal wastegated. Are they a 3 bolt flange or 4?

Brian

Just want to say sorry to Troym55 for posting a question in his thread.

No problem guys..The more the merrier:D