-8AN Feed -6AN return. How fast have these been?

jdpolzin

I've been waiting a very long time to finally build the fuel system for my Stage 2 car. I really wish someone would make a nice sumped tank for us guys that want to use an external pump set up but would rather not weld our tanks for possibility of rust. I've contacted Spectre to see if they could make us something with the stock top and a sumped bottom that will have factory coatings inside. Well, no luck.

I spoke with Paul Castle a couple years back about forming a plastic tank with a sump, no luck.

So, now I'm getting a little frustrated. I wont weld my tank. We welded a sump in one tank and this car gets a lot of use on it. The injectors, after many many miles were sent to Chuck Leeper and they were filled with metal and rubber. The metal may have been from an external pump that failed but we cant verify that. The tank was originally coated with Eastwood's coating after the sump was installed. Major NO NO. This filled the filter up with sheets of the coating.

I've seen the custom made pick ups listed for external pump use. These look nice but I'm a little concerned with possibilities of cavitation and running the pump dry on start up.

So, after all this wait, since we cant get any sumped tanks (besides the bare aluminum), I think the best option is the Racetronix hangers for double pumpers with the -8 and -6 lines.

What have the best numbers been with these lines so far? High 9's from what I have read. Anybody been faster?

Subscribed....
I'm planning to modify my hanger by cutting off all the lines and welding in dual 90 degree fittings, 1 for each pump. I won't decide whether each line will be -6 or -8 until I get into it though. Ideally, I'm looking to run dual -8's through dual fuel filters and then Y into a single -10 feed to the rail. If the -8's will fit into the assembly.....

Not sure about fuel line size restrictions but based on my calculations the Racetronix kit with the two Walboro 255's can support 1,227.19HP on E85.

500 lph x 780g/l (approximate density of E85 fuel) = 390,000g/hr

390,000gx 1lb/454g =859.03lb/hour fuel flow

859.03 lbs fuel hr / .70 lb/hp-hr =1,227.19HP

I have emailed Racetronix today a couple times to ask about fitment as to using Reds XP pumps and DW pumps but have really only got an answer that DW pumps wont fit there hanger. Not sure on the Reds though. I believe the Reds pumps are the same diameter and height as the 255's. I know Red uses the 340's but not sure how the size of the 340's compare to the 255's.

Anybody know?

Not getting HP happy here as I'm sure they will be enough to supply my particular motor but if I can squeeze a little more out of the pumps using two Red's pumps, I'd like to.

This may/may not be the "trik of the month", but:
I drilled the center of the bucket in my original GN tank. After a pilot hole, [1/8"], I drilled it with a Unibit, to EXACTLY fit a -8 bulkhead. The long side of the inlet was flared w/ a countersink. The plastic bucket acted as a seal on the inside, and I used a nylon washer on the outside. Worked well enough to go 141, in a 3700# turd!:D

This may/may not be the "trik of the month", but:
I drilled the center of the bucket in my original GN tank. After a pilot hole, [1/8"], I drilled it with a Unibit, to EXACTLY fit a -8 bulkhead. The long side of the inlet was flared w/ a countersink. The plastic bucket acted as a seal on the inside, and I used a nylon washer on the outside. Worked well enough to go 141, in a 3700# turd!:D

On E85?

Nope. On C16.
The more I think about the original post, I plumbed it w/ a -10, not an 8. The -8 was from the pump to the rail. The Aeromotive pump had a s/s filter screwed directly into the inlet...

this is my fuel system and it works Kenny duttweiler just had it on his dyno with my wifes new engine made 900 plus at the flywheel on E85

TR custom parts ALUMINUM fuel tank (HAS SUMP) Have has a Aluminum take for years no problem even on E98
Magna Fuel fuel pump part number 4303
http://www.magnafuel.com/products/efi/pumps/MP-4301.htm
I have a 10AN= 5/8 inch to pre filter 8AN= 1/2 inch off after filter to one side of fuel rails threw 160 pound injectors. coming out of rail a 6an to fuel regulator
MP9950-B regulator
http://www.magnafuel.com/products/efi/regulators/MP-9940-B.htm
to a 6AN=3/8 inch return to tank

Again Duttweiler used this and I have more pump to go using a base fuel pressure of 55 pounds

Smoke, that was pretty much the same set up we usedon the car that we welded the sump into except we used -10 all the way to the rail and a -8 as a return, same pump I believe.

Although the Aluminum tank does have the sump in it, I am just not real fond of the fact that the bare aluminum is holding the fuel. I do feel it will work without anodizing based on tests we have done. It seems like bare machined aluminum holds up but bare cut aluminum has deteriorated. Same with rubber AN line. The line has held up to 5 years of E85 but anywhere we cut it, it's broken down. This is why we had to send our Injectors to Chuck for cleaning.

I really dont care for the particular look of the square tanks and with a car that is lowered quiet a bit, I'm not real sure it will fit my particular application. So I was really hoping to have a stock style tank with the sump.

So, thats where I'm at now in thinking of going with the double pump Racetronix with the -8 and -6 fittings.

If I'm looking over your lines, you seem to be having success with feeding the rail with a -8 and returning with a -6. Even though you have an external set up, we would be accomplishing the same thing if I supply fuel with a double intank pump.

I'd like to see pics of the tank mounted in your car if you have time to post some!

here is what I got

DSC_4079.jpg

DSC_4080.jpg

EDIT!! From research, Gabby Rojas has a -8 feed, and stock return. He has been 9.98 on E85 and best mph was 140. This was done with a STOCK LINES, stock stroke 109 and ported irons. Here is the 9.98 vid. The 140 pass was a 10.0. Over 3700lbs too.

If I can get my wifes to go in the 10's im happy with 900 hp it better LOL Ta block and heads take off how much weight?

Well, I'd really like the Stage 2 car to be able to go low 9's. Not that I'll ever make a low 9 pass with it but I've built the car to go well into the 9's. I wish I could find a formula to see how well the -8 will support a low 9/high 8 car. But with Smoke running at 900HP, that car should be well able to run the numbers. Sounds like the DP from Racetronix is the way I will end up going.

Smoke, how noisy is your 4303? Ours is quite noisy, sounds cool and makes people look, thats for sure!

Well, I'd really like the Stage 2 car to be able to go low 9's. Not that I'll ever make a low 9 pass with it but I've built the car to go well into the 9's. I wish I could find a formula to see how well the -8 will support a low 9/high 8 car. But with Smoke running at 900HP, that car should be well able to run the numbers. Sounds like the DP from Racetronix is the way I will end up going.

Smoke, how noisy is your 4303? Ours is quite noisy, sounds cool and makes people look, thats for sure!
I don't think it is too bad, my welden is louder by far

...... I really wish someone would make a nice sumped tank for us guys that want to use an external pump set up but would rather not weld our tanks for possibility of rust. I've contacted Spectre to see if they could make us something with the stock top and a sumped bottom that will have factory coatings inside. Well, no luck...........

We are modifying a new Spectre replacement tank for an E85 Regal with a -10 supply line and -6 return.

The pump is a new submersible Aeromotive pump mounted inside the tank, and will have metal lines to the external supply and return fittings.

The stock hanger will be retained for the fuel gauge.

This should be enough to get you into the 8's! :)

For another E85 turbo Regal we are doing a modified fuel system with a single DW pump to run mid-10's.

The stock 3/8" supply line will be used with -8 AN fittings. Return will use the steel 5/16" vent line and a remote regulator with -6 fittings.

The stock hanger will be modified for the line changes as well as wiring modifications for ample, reliable power to the pump.

We are hoping this "system" will turn out to be an alternative to alcohol injection for primarily street driven cars, especially when using a flex fuel sensor. ;)