87 GN in Angleton, TX (Just south of Houston)...I NEED HELP!!!

The first pic you are looking at the TPS (throttle position sensor) and the plug should be right there in the harness running across the front of the engine. Did this car have an engine fire at some point? That second connector looks like it got a little hot....LOL

Wiring looks a little out of hand on that thing brother....what's up with all the yellow hot leads (I am assuming) in that last pic? That single bullet connector running across the intake on the driver's side should go to the O2 sensor connector right under the t-stat and cam sensor area.

I don't think it was a fire but yes, this project has been a bear trying to figure everything out . Actually the harness is completely stock except for the two yellow wires and they go to the aftermarket oil pressure and water temp gauges.

As for the crispy one...a headlight connector in the engine harness? That doesn't make sense...

Didn't realize that one was part of the engine harness....looks awfully long if you are holding it that far away...lol. Does it have 3 or 4 spade holes in it?

And I have an extra one of these!!!

Which is on a long lead too!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    650.9 KB · Views: 88
Crispy connector goes to oil pressure sending unit....looked at it wrong. So it should snake down under the turbo to that oil cooler / filter adapter area.

The extra 4 pin is an IAC connector....weird.....don't know why you would have two. If someone had put a Ford IAB or an adapter of some sort I could see the connector being modified....but don't know why you would have 2.

Ok, I found a threaded hole directly behind this...nothing in it!

I can't get back there to take a picture of it though...what does in that hole!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    655.4 KB · Views: 90
One of the coolant temp sensors....the one for the gauge. If you have an aftermarket gauge your sensor should screw in there with an adapter.

If the oil pressure connector is shorted, you will not have fuel pump, but usually that's not a problem. Leaving it unconnected is not a problem. The crank sensor is connected, but have you checked the sensor for clearance? turn the motor over by hand and lay underneath with a flash light to make sure the crank sensor isn't hitting the reluctor wheel.

Also.. if you don't have spark... is the ESC module on the passenger side plugged in? That's near the MAP sensor on the other end of that bracket.. it also has to function properly for you to have spark. Usually doesn't go bad but I had that problem myself.

ok, I believe I found the problem last night with help from Scott on the phone...ya'll were right from the beginning. The cam sensor is out of alignment. I mistakenly thought that since it ran when I took it out of the other car then it was SET! Well, it probably was but there is no locking tab on it so I am sure it has turned. Can someone please take a picture of their locking tab (as best you can) so I can see what the GN tab looks like? I know what the typical distributor tab looks like but I am forging through all of the boxes I have trying to find it. any help is certainly appreciated.

It's just a bolt with a big washer is all... just fine something that's the correct diameter. A cam sensor set wrong CAN run, but sometimes it's very hard to start.

Ok, last night I figured out that the Cam sensor was not set properly...I have gone through the procedure after getting to TDC them backing off 1.45" and setting the cap once it drops from 10 volts down...

I am getting nothing but backfiring, any thoughts?