86/87 GN rim repaint prep steps (pic's)

Busyman

[BAD HBT 6]
I decided to take pic's of the steps I used to repaint the black on my GN rims. I figure that if it worked out, I would post them. I think that I read every post concerning this topic prior to starting and everyone seemed to dread the amount of time that it took. So I figured to try it my way and try to cut some time off of the process. The razor knife that I used can be purchased from any Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards for around 6-8 bucks. I tint windows as a side-job and this is the razor of choice. This razor allows for cutting in tight areas. The other benefit to this razor is that the razor blades can be snapped off approx. 12-14 times after it dulls. I found keeping a sharp blade is key.

My rims were in pretty good shape but the black paint was fading out (typical). The centers were painted the day before.
IMG_0990.jpg

I used 1 1/2" masking tape. Using approx. 4" pieces seemed to allow for easier install. I used the razor knife in a CLOSED position to set the tape inside the gap.
IMG_0991.jpg

For this posts demonstration I only taped off one "hole", for the other rims I completed each step in full.
IMG_0992.jpg

I let the top of the tape heavy (you will see why later).
After the tape was applied, I again used the unopened razor knife to highlight the manufactures indentation.
IMG_0994.jpg

This is where I saved some time. Using a new tip on the razor and extending it just over an inch allows for some flex and better control. After cutting all around, remove the excess.
IMG_0995.jpg

Cont......

cont...

Final results for the cutout.
IMG_0996.jpg

Computer is not liking all of the uploaded pics so I hope that this helps a few of you that attempt this project. Final results were great and the paint on the rims is like new. Please add any comments or suggestions that will improve on this process.

There is a part 2 to this process. It entails taping and covering the rest of the rim. If there is enough interest I will do a write up on the rest of the project.

Thanks guys,
Busyman
:cool:

I restored many sets of GN rims that way back in the day. I also used Vaseline on the chrome too instead of tape.