68 Chevelle

First time to the track today, went great other than popping intercooler hoses twice and a broken throttle cable.

Best run of the day was 12.68 @ 107.75 w/ a 2.03 60ft

24psi boost, short shifting at 4150, 4lb launch

1307.jpg

Head porting!

So I have another buick turbo longblock sitting in my garage and I've decided to take the stock heads from them and go to town.

I've been reading a bunch as to what modifications respond the best on the stock heads and it seems like most of the gain is from the bowl work. Ill be porting the intake and turbo etc when I go to put these heads on.

So I went to my grandpa's and borrowed his 24,000 rpm electric die grinder along with a speed control he built and a ton of carbide bits.

For ****s and giggles I went ahead and took pictures of the stock heads and compared them to the Stage2 heads I have.

On to the pics:

Stock head chamber

IMG_0008.jpg

Stage2 chamber

IMG_0016.jpg

Stock head valve stem area after about 5 seconds of grinding, this thing will EAT the heads alive if you let it.

IMG_0009.jpg

Intake runner comparison

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Exhaust comparison

IMG_0020.jpg

Stock exhaust runner

IMG_0021.jpg

The tools

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

PRACTICE!! Busted out some small block chevy heads I have and did some practice on these. Not done but I have only about 45min on this intake bowl.

Stock chevy
IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

Thanks for the compliments.

I actually first sprayed it on Sunday. I made a bad mistake of adding some reducer and I had some epic runs in the paint. I scraped the runs off with a razor blade, removed the rest with lacquer thinner, feathered the areas with a DA, and reshot with the metallic silver. I did that to get the base coat somewhat level. I am now going to block sand the base to get it smooth and then I'm switching to a different color from summit. Their Oxford Gray is very similar to the silver but it is not metallic which will be much easier to shoot and can be wet sanded and buffed to look good. Ive ordered the paint tonight so it should be here Saturday. More pics by this weekend or within the week.

So the weather has turned way too cold to finish the paint but heres what ive been working on. Am I the only guy in history who has made his intercooler smaller? Its in the name of front mounting and better heat exchanger organization.

Heres how it was, intercooler between the tranny cooler and the radiator, neither was mounted in the best position for cooling or looks.

Danscarchristmas2008037.jpg

Heres the new positioning

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

Decided to scrap that intercooler idea and went with an ebay intercooler instead. Heres the progress pics, should have it running tomorrow. Just need to fab up the uppipe and upper rad hose.

IMG_0198-1.jpg

IMG_0196-1.jpg

IMG_0197-1.jpg

IMG_0191-1.jpg

cool stuff dude

i thought of going with the smaller radiator (like yours) and
1-off setting it all the way to one side
2-then routing the IC pipes NEXT to it instead of under neath it
3-then mounting the IC side ways.

The way you have yours in the pictures, will it interfere with the hood latch?

Can you Post a link to the IC

Edit - i don't think that the OE hood latch will work.
You must be using a pin down hood ??? and NO latch.

Yea Im using a lift off hood. The pipes are not complete in these pics and they will actually tuck up pretty good. They will still show but it wont be that low.

All of the brackets Ive made and the radiator hold down havent had all of the corners rounded or been painted yet, I want to test drive it before I do that work.

Heres a link below, its a full blooded chinese ebay intercooler, I'm gunna get pressure sensors on each side of it eventually to test the pressure drop.

UNIVERSAL 29.5"x11"x2.5" TOP INLET/EXIT INTERCOOLER - eBay (item 120492524245 end time Feb-05-11 19:14:30 PST)

Lots of work has been done since my last posts. I decided to go with a ebay front mount and I'm working on putting the computer inside the car instead of sitting on the battery..

Here are pics from this weekend.

enginebaypic.jpg

22 pin bulkhead connectors to run all of the engine wiring into the car. These are slick weatherpack connectors made by Delphi.

firewall22pininstalled.jpg

The wires are all ran under the intake and exit out of the back of the engine and poke right through the firewall.

enginewithwiringthroughintake.jpg

Here's a console I scored from the junkyard to hide the relay box, wiring, and computer. I'll be making a fiberglass piece to make it mate up to the dash properly and hold my gauges.

consolemockup.jpg

Yea, I'm diggin the center console too. Keep it coming! I swear, I just took that same steering wheel off of my '69 Chevelle. Are you over there on Chevelles.com too? I'm ohio69 over there if you ever get bored and wat to see my cars rebirth.

Anyway, nice job!

I decided that if I'm gunna redo all of the engine wiring to install the ecm in the console, I might as well go megasquirt to get rid of the stock ecm and all of the addon electronics that went with it. Plans are to have the engine running by memorial day. :cool::cool:

:biggrin:

IMG_0356.jpg

Harness after cuts:

IMG_0359.jpg

Heres a pic of all the wiring I cut fro the stock harness:

IMG_0360.jpg

Heres an idling video before I took it out for the second drive. Drove great, needs tuning but for having a total run time of maybe 1.5 hours I would say I'm damn impressed.

[video=youtube;j3QMic11KNc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3QMic11KNc[/video]