274v6 vs 540v8 youre opinion?

six slinger

hey guys i need youre help! my goal is low tens on pump and alky with super reliability and streetability and low nines on race fuel and more boost! which way would you go and why and could you give me youire build up an money involved on project

You can buy a crate BBC and meet your goals with reliability, cost in the end will be higher for the LC2. With the BBC it wont really be a GN:confused:

87gn, believe me if never considered going the v8 route,and ive built a lot of top dollar engines,ask my ex wife lol!! but its harder and less reliable and also more exspensive going with smaller cubes!! especially for guys like myself that have to have a low 10 sec streetcar on pumpgas and alky. and with that type of combo even though i run 274 inches i still have to run no less than 24lbs of boost and a 3800 stall converter! this doesnt add to street fun or reliability! and beleive me ive had great machine shops on the east coast work on them! bottom line theres no replacement for displacement! sad yes, but its reality!!!!!!!

the reason i posted this question is because i was trying to see if there was a person out there that could give me a great or even good example as to why i should keep going the v6 route? I AM A PURIST,BUT I ALSO HAVE A MALIBU WITH A 5O2 AND TURBO WITH ALKY RUNNING 9.70s ON PUMP GAS AND ONLY 14 LBS BOOST! AT 19 LBS SHE WENT 9.12 @155 ALL DAY ON C16 I HAD A TOTAL OF 30GRAND INTO ENTIRE CAR!!THIS MOTOR COST ME SOMEWHERE AROUND 19 FROM INTAKE TO PAN INCLUDING TURBO, WASTEGATES,HEADERS AND INTERCOOLER!!!! IT WAS RUN STRICTLY FOR RACING FOR 2YEARS! BUT SHE HAD SUCH GREAT STREET MANNERS AND PERFORMANCE THAT I RAN HER AND STILL CONTINUE TO DO SO TILL THIS VERY DAY!!!! ive had gns run near those numbers,but they were stressed a hell of a lot more and were not fun on the street at all!! ALL THIS WHILE IT DOES GIVE PEOPLE AS WELL AS MYSELF THE SATISFACTION OF SAYING ITS ONLY A 6! BUT IT DOESNT REALLY MATTER TO ME THAT MUCH WHEN THAT SAME LEVEL OF PERFORMANCE CAN BE HAD FOR 4-6 GRAND LESS WHILE ALSO HAVING A MUCH MORE BROADER TORQUE CURVE! WHICH ULTIMATELY LEEDS TO THE FUN FACTOR!! WHICH IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT TO ME! BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW THAT HAVING A RACE CAR IS FUN FOR 9 SECONDS OR LESS! BUT REAL SMILES AND ADMIRATION HAPPEN ON THE STREET FOR HOURS ON END! SO IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN CONVINCE ME TO STAY WITH THE SMALLER ROUTE IM ALL EARS!! I APPRECIATE THE TIME YOU TOOK TO LISTEN TO ME!! STAY SAFE BROTHERS!!

I thing you have to re-evaluate what you want your car to do. There are only two types.

1. Reliable street cars

2. Race Cars

In order to have a piece of one you must sacrifice some of the other. I realize that you know this, but what I am getting at is this. I would keep the 6 in the GN, however, I would give up the goal of very low 10 ET's and focus more on streetable HP/manners. Meaning you may have to lose the 3800 stall which will raise the ET but increase fun on the street.

My view is that, I enjoy my cars more on the street than I do on the track. Oh, I love to race them, but would rather have a car I can drive the hell out of and sometimes race(the time I get is the time I get). I want my car to be as fast as it can without altering most of the basic engineering. The high stalls, race gas only type cars are more purposeful race cars and give up their streetability, just the way it is.

youre right brother and there is nothing wrong with having a high ten low eleven car!!! my problem is i am addicted to destroying all the high tech high dollar foreighn and domestic cars out there! i would not be happy with just hanging with them! for most thats satisfaction enough and rightfully so considering 20 year old technology! for me that level of performance does not bring me that smile that says wow i just destroyed that 100k plus car!! this is my only true love besides my family of course! low elevens vs low tens? lets face it these new cars are getting faster and faster> so low elevens while being respectable is not really getting me any real self gratification or admiration! i hope i didnt offend anyone that is not my intention! just stating that i cannot compromise going from low tens on pump and alky to running same combo on v6 but at low elevens!!! there is a huge difference performance wise!!!!

Well I think you should do a stage 2 v6 setup. Theres nothing like stomping on the v8's and then saying YEP ITS A 6. You are right about the BB but, everyone has one and they are supposed to make huge HP#'s. I think the V6's are much cooler and running low 10's with one gets alot more respect then a small or big block. My car ran 9.97 @ 138 and is very streetable. All you need is a good converter. I will sell you my setup if your looking.

Go the LSx route! I have about $9-10k into my setup, that includes the 9", stall, fuel system, and the 4l80E trans, which i couldnt live without. Getting to use this trans with a good computer like the new GM pcm is just a wonderful thing, and its holding the 650hp i make just fine. Last year running no intercooler and 89 octane, 11psi and 12 degrees timing i was running mid 11s@125+. This year with the stall and a few more changes, i bet i can easily do a 10.5 or even a low 10 this year, and that is still on pumpgas and no intercooler, should be able to run 18-20 degreees timing. The only addition to the stock motor is the cam, and intake/injectors.
You dont need to buy alot of stuff for these new motors, just the intake, injectors, a cam, and you can make 650-700hp all day long. Also add forged pistons and rods for a bit over $1000, and 1000hp is just a few psi boost away.

If speed and reliability are your only considerations, go BBC.

The downside is that you'll go way down on the "coolness" and "sleeper" scales, and people will probably be less impressed by your car ("oh, just another BBC conversion").

-Bob C.

Why would someone do that to a GNX when there are a million ttypes and gns out there?

i wish,:tongue: well not really cause then our Buick's would be like a Ford mutang :rolleyes: don't you think ! there be one on every corner :( but when you got mula you can do crazy things !