2017 Buick Grand National

well the 3.6 liter twin-turbo V6 LF3 is a nice set up they use in the Caddy V Sport now.. That car is a blast to drive !! Low 12s with just a tune in it. It would be nice to see it in a Buick :cool:

GM will f457 it up, just like they have done (almost) everything else. If it doesn't have 4 door handles, it'll just be a CTSV rebadged as a GN.

Bullshit+look+at+description+look+at+tags_85ddaa_3758251.jpg

All I know is, I hope it's not this: http://greatcars2014.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2015-Buick-Grand-National-release.jpg
It's just a smoothed out Lacrosse. Which is just a smoothed out shit park ave/lesabre. Honestly, besides the 70 Skylark series, the turbo Regals, and the '03 GSX, I think Buick puts out a DAM ugly car. I mean like this class of ugly: http://m0.i.pbase.com/v3/04/463304/1/50402620.126_0667_1.jpg
I mean like stab yourself in the eye with a fork because you can't unsee it kind of ugly. I don't see why they can't recreate the original with modern styling cues like the Thunderbird repop, the Challenger, and the 5th gen Mustang did. All of which are obviously great looking and accurate reproductions.
In my expert opinion (lol) the older generation of designers, were in a different league when it came to coming up with new ideas. Sure they put out some dreck as well, but not like todays kids. Whenever I see an old guy with a lot of experience, I always ask him about when he was young, and one day not soo long ago, I got an answer I'll never forget. He told me (he was a draftsman) that his generation got to install, or implement more class and character into their designs because of their equipment. He said todays cad/cam garbage is cold and clinical, and it's void of all emotion and personality. It's a super powerful tool, but severely limited by it's user. This new team of designer/CAD still can't match the ideas put out by the old school guys with their drafting tables, lead holders, bendable lead curves, templates, compasses, and old fashioned creativity. It's obvious when you look at posters. Everyone's posters are of old cars lol. Because we all realize that we want to go back to the old ways lol. In my opinion, when you went to the mall and seen the parking lots, most cars were cool, with some here and there that looked like crap. Today it's reversed-most cars look like crap, and there's just a small spattering of good looking ones. I'd like to bring back some old school retirees, AND their equipment, and ask them to design a nice GN body for 2017. I bet it would look good.

At least they should start with the 3.6 TT for the GN, save the other lower motors for the base Regals, as for the GNX they should see how much Tune they can extract out of the 3.6TT, plus more styling cues hence 1987...But they have to do something about the 4door issue...imo and please no supercharger!

It's just going to be hideous, and can't be faster than a Corvette now. I say it won't happen. If it does, it'll be another GTO that looks like a Cavalier abomination.

BTW, the 2016 ATS-V unveiled yesterday in L.A. is a sweet machine! It'd be hard for Buick to compete with this.

635519149600175296-EMBARGOED-CADILLAC-ATS-4.jpg

635519149598325259-EMBARGOED-CADILLAC-ATS-2.jpg

Here's some copy I found on the ATS-V. Very nice...:cool:

ATS-V or M3?

That’s a new question compact luxury sports car shoppers will have to ask themselves now that Cadillac has unveiled the new high-performance 2016 ATS-V coupe and sedan.

Featuring a new style that includes larger grilles, a prominent vent in its carbon fiber hood, and rear spoiler, the ATS-V is powered by a new twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6 with 455 hp and 445 lb-ft of torque.

Caddy says that’s good for a sprint to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds and a top speed of 185 mph. Both figures are on par with the class benchmark BMW M3/M4.

A six-speed manual transmission is standard, and an eight-speed automatic optional, while all ATS-Vs come fitted with an active Magenetic Ride Control suspension, Brembo brakes and 16-way adjustable Recaro sport seats to compliment their improved handling.

Pricing has not been announced, but the outgoing larger, more powerful CTS-V lineup starts at $64,900, so the ATS-V should cost significantly less than that when it goes on sale in the spring.

We'll see when they come out just how the 2016 caddy performs with the TT 3.6L v6. If GM do bring out a 2016-2017 GN and or GNX like car, it better be able to hold it's own with a majority of what's out there today and not look like some experiment gone wrong.

I'm not saying it isn't possible for them with the hp and torque ratings that they are claiming for the 2016 caddy that it won't turn a 3.9 0-60 time, but until it's available for the public won't know if that is the case or if it is a tick faster or slower than that. There is the saying that an under 4 second 0-60 is nice, but what happens after you reach 60 is where things get interesting. No doubt it'll be fast with the same TT 3.6L v6, but needs to be done right or not happen at all.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
Yeah I read that last week. Personally I think its going to happen but what it looks like and how many doors scare me. 3 trademark extensions sounds like more than just naming rights for a few t-shirts.

It more than likely will happen. While the possibility is there that will be a coupe thanks to the 6th-Gen Camaro and ATS-V, we can't rule out the possibility that it may be a 4-door. We'll find out soon enough, but we just have to keep an open mind about it.

Although I doubt it will reinvent the game like ours did, it will be the performance car it needs to be by today's standards. It'll be able to do a lot of things that the original could only dream of (in factory form), too. Either way, Buick is in dire need of a performance car.

The Buick GN doesn't have to compete against the Caddy. If GM builds a stripped down version of that car there will be no competition. I would take one, the creature comforts are nice but if you've noticed how much weight that the new cars have gained, my 3600 lb GN sounds like a lightweight . Strange! With the Buick coming in cheaper than the Caddy the continued R and D will be there long after the Caddy has gone thru even more face lifts and body changes. Definitely don't want to see a 4 door anything. The hard deal to swallow is knowing that this car will be priced in the high 30's to low 40's. If I had to guess, $38,995. The GNX will be $50. I went to a Mustang car show and the 2015 Eco boost 2.3L is right at $35K.

Just a reply to an earlier comment - new cars are engineered on cad computers , the cars are styled the same way as the 60"s . They use artist renderings , tape drawings and good old fashioned clay .
I also love the style of the old muscle cars , that styling tho would never pass government safety regulations in today's world , as an example I asked. A PedPro(Pedastrian protection) engineer what it would take for a 70 Chevelle to be sold in today's world . His reply was he would be retired before he could make it saleable

Last edited:
That cadillac is nice :) I'd take that, or the first gen cts-v. Both are super sexy to me. But the next GN better be two door. And it best not have any of this gay ass 4 cylinder shit these makers are trending torwards either. I'll settle for a single turbo V6, even if it's not 3.8 liters of displacement.