1987 Buick Grand National Engine dies after a few minutes

dantschan

Dan Tschan
I have a Buick Grand National 1987. I start the car and it dies after a few minutes. I Wait a few minutes and the car starts again. I replaced the coil pack. The original coil pack showed (O) OHMS using a digital multimeter. After a few minutes of running the car does the same thing again. Any ideas. Please help.

I had this issue before. Engine would die even while cruising steady on the highway, or while idling at a stop light. It was very annoying. The issue was resolved when I replaced the "crank" sensor. I tried everything before that, the cam sensor, coil, wires, plugs, etc.

That's my experience anyway..... FOr what it's worth

Jarred

I worked on a car that would run fine, but when warm wouldn't restart. Let it set for 2 hours and it would start. Changed everything but cam sensor, no change. Ended up being the cam sensor cap.

It dosen't sputter so it makes me think it is not a fuel related problem. It seems as if some one is just turning off the key..

1987 Buick Grand National still having problems keeping car running

I am still trying to keep my low milage 87 GN running. I have eliminated an electrical problem, because when it quits running I still have a strong spark at the plugs. When I turn the key on I can hear the fuel pump come on and I can see the fuel pressure needle go up to the proper pressure. The engine will start right up and sometimes the engine will run for a few minutes and sometimes it will die after just a few seconds. After waiting a few minutes and trying again the pump will come on again and pressure will show on the gauge and it will do the same thing again. The above happens even when the car is in the garage and the motor is dead cold. I want to eliminate all possibilities before droping the fuel tank and changing the fuel pump. Has anyone had this happen to them before. I would appreciate any suggestions..

I am still trying to keep my low milage 87 GN running. I have eliminated an electrical problem, because when it quits running I still have a strong spark at the plugs. When I turn the key on I can hear the fuel pump come on and I can see the fuel pressure needle go up to the proper pressure. The engine will start right up and sometimes the engine will run for a few minutes and sometimes it will die after just a few seconds. After waiting a few minutes and trying again the pump will come on again and pressure will show on the gauge and it will do the same thing again. The above happens even when the car is in the garage and the motor is dead cold. I want to eliminate all possibilities before droping the fuel tank and changing the fuel pump. Has anyone had this happen to them before. I would appreciate any suggestions..

Might have a bad ECM an or chip,under the passenger-sidekick pannel.If there's been any kind of eletrical short,it might have fryed either or ,if you have a differant chip, try it,good luck!

Enjoy!

Dan, mine did this exact thing when my MAF went bad. Do you have a scanmaster or can you borrow one or borrow a MAF?

Thanks for your response. If a chip was fried would it be starting up at all??

If fried the whole thing an not just zapped a circit out in it, The MAF is another good cause,your car fires, but just won't take the lean warm-up procedure.