1985 GN swapping to 87 need help

grb311

Hey this is the first time posting, i have a 1985 grand national that my brother bought for me when i got back from afghanistan. its stock except for a walbro, FPR, and boostcontroller/gauge, also porting the heads and intake when it goes on
I have about 90% of the items i need to convert the motor to 87 im missing downpipe, intercooler, and injectors. I was just wondering what your opinions are.
I would like to do what i can without internals until i have money for that, I was thinking getting:
TA 44 or 49 turbo
3.5' or 3' DP and exhaust
60lb injectors
powerlogger with turbotweak 6.0 and aem wideband
a front mount IC.

is a ta44/49 good for more hp with the stock block or would a bigger turbo be better? should i get alky instead of something like a FMIC and just get a stock IC and alky? do i need the powerlogger and 6.0 wideband? i would just like some input on what i should be doing, i have an idea but just want to maximize what i will be buying in a couple days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:cool:

What are your goals with the car. You don't need a FMIC at this point. I went 124+mph in the 1/4 on a stock intercooler with a Dutwieller neck. Powerlogger is a must. :)

Yeah I would do your mods in increments that way you can see the improvments. the Front mount is not needed at this point as mike said.

I think maybe 42lb injectors, either of the turbos you chose will work nice.

Alky is an option too.

I think you are flirting with low 12 to high 11

Make sure you put a good Fuel pump & hot wire kit in. valve spring upgrade also.

ah ok, how about the powerlogger turbotweak 6.0 chip that has aem wideband, or is the 6.0 chip/wideband not a good setup?

ok , im buying a powerlogger right now, dutt neck IC 3' up pipe and maf, then i dont know.. hehe :)

best thing i ever did when i converted mine was call Jack Cotton, gave me a lot of advice and great deals on parts:cool:

Having just done one, I would strongly recommend the following: Do not change anything from stock that will affect starting and driveability of the vehicle until you actually hear it run. I went with a bigger turbo and injectors but put everything else stock until I got it running. If you swap out a bunch of parts (i.e. maf translator, adjustable reg, adjustable wastegate, etc.) and it doesn't start or run right you will be completely lost. In my case I didn't get the crank sensor tight and damaged it so it did not start, I found that pretty quickly and it started but ran like crap. A little searching found that I had two bad plug wires that were bad right out of the box. I replaced the ends on those and all of a sudden I had a hot rod. Since I got it running I've added a new pump and hot wire kit, next will probably be a larger stock mount IC. You'll have plenty of chances to spend money on it later, for now though I'd just get it running. Just my two cents, but later when you ask someone for help it would be nice to say "well it is running but" rather than "it hasn't ran since the conversion and here is a list of things that I done and I don't know if they are any good or not".

Ah, very good idea. Im planning on doing the conversion in March. It is a ways off but ill get my tax return so ill pull the motor and while I send the car in for body work/paint ill assemble the motor. :tongue:

Hey this is the first time posting, i have a 1985 grand national that my brother bought for me when i got back from afghanistan. its stock except for a walbro, FPR, and boostcontroller/gauge, also porting the heads and intake when it goes on
I have about 90% of the items i need to convert the motor to 87 im missing downpipe, intercooler, and injectors. I was just wondering what your opinions are.
I would like to do what i can without internals until i have money for that, I was thinking getting:
TA 44 or 49 turbo
3.5' or 3' DP and exhaust
60lb injectors
powerlogger with turbotweak 6.0 and aem wideband
a front mount IC.

is a ta44/49 good for more hp with the stock block or would a bigger turbo be better? should i get alky instead of something like a FMIC and just get a stock IC and alky? do i need the powerlogger and 6.0 wideband? i would just like some input on what i should be doing, i have an idea but just want to maximize what i will be buying in a couple days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:cool:
The ta44/49 turbos are great for a stock block. Any bigger and you should be changing the stall converter.

ok thanks for the advice, im going to go ahead with that setup,, i might get the 5.6 chip first then 6.0 and wideband if i think its necessary.
a few more questions though.
ive looked and cant seem to find aluminum drive shaft loops or lighter weight loops, brother bought one for his malibu and it weighs a ton hehe, or is steel required.
one more thing, im looking into getting a posi unit, ive looked on the boards and different sites but would you guys say that an eaton 28 spline posi would be good,, id like to get 373 gears if i can have 342 now, probably ordering the eaton posi from summit unless theres a better site.
thank you guys for your input