18psi is it safe on 92 octane

I think it's be safe to say head gaskets will be in your future.I would learn to tune at a lower boost say 15 max on 93 octane no sense causing heartache. I hope this is not your daily driver and you have another car to drive
while your working on this one.while it is possible to pull off I wouldn't be so quick to turn up the boost it is addictive and expensive.

Im still learning with these cars as well, and on my car which is very similar to yours, my limit is around 16 pounds SAFELY, with a good fuel punp, pressure, stock turbo and ic, tt chip, etc....anything past that I see a couple points of kr here and there, enough to hurt it. Seeing as how youre only quoting the guys that say theyve done it and not the ones that are saying beware, youre going to do it. If thats the case, better watch that scanmaster.

Im still learning with these cars as well, and on my car which is very similar to yours, my limit is around 16 pounds SAFELY, with a good fuel punp, pressure, stock turbo and ic, tt chip, etc....anything past that I see a couple points of kr here and there, enough to hurt it. Seeing as how youre only quoting the guys that say theyve done it and not the ones that are saying beware, youre going to do it. If thats the case, better watch that scanmaster.
will do,i am planning on taking small steps just wanted to hear some opinions,the stock psi on the tta's is 16.5,and I also had a 1987 gn back in 1990 that was running 18psi on 93 octane,Fred Vetter from Dyno Teck did the work on it and it lasted me 7 years with no problem at all,the it got stolen,so anyway thanks for the input guys...

will do,i am planning on taking small steps just wanted to hear some opinions,the stock psi on the tta's is 16.5,and I also had a 1987 gn back in 1990 that was running 18psi on 93 octane,Fred Vetter from Dyno Teck did the work on it and it lasted me 7 years with no problem at all,the it got stolen,so anyway thanks for the input guys...

And what does this have to do with how the car will run today with today's gas?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I am going through exactly what it is you want to do. Baby steps for sure and one thing at a time. First step spring cleaning, go through everything including plugs, gap, etc. Then one step at a time, otherwise you'll never know what is working and what is cause of problems. None of this can be done without scanmaster. I'm still sorting out stock and it is taking some time. Fuel delivery has been my initial set of problems. I'm sure once past that I'll hit something else. I ran stock at track, I'm in mid 14's at best with around 13 psi, I could go a bit quicker with more practice i"m sure. But 13 sounds super quick for stock stock stock. I ran my car totally bone stock and my best run was 14.8 or so, I couldn't imagine going under 14.5 no matter who's driving.
Good luck, listen to these guys very closely, including guys like Earl who like to bust chops, he's a very frequent poster and will help you a lot along the way.
Joel

And what does this have to do with how the car will run today with today's gas?

for some reason I hear that often todays gas ,I don't think it was any better then,nothing for nothing everyone is quick on chopping people down,i have been around fast cars for over 28 years had cars going 9's did most of the work my self,i am shore there is a lot af guys that know their buicks but some are full of it,i know with a good tune it could be done been there before,just wanted to hear some opinions,thanks guys

I've ran 16 to 20 pounds of boost on pump gas for years. whether octane boost in a can works or not I've used it and personally only had one head gasket blown and i have beat the crap out of some of my cars in the past. I didn't mention as I agree the car must be tuned properly! I feel the more you baby the car the more problems, nothing wrong with opening her up... Just my opinion.

N. Ramos
Brooklyn NY

Put 50K miles on my stocker - 93 octane with 16-20 psi with no problems... car had 109k on it when I sold it to my friend in '97 and it still has original gaskets. Get a scanmaster which is a must, if you're not getting knock on the SM, run what you want.

for some reason I hear that often todays gas ,I don't think it was any better then,nothing for nothing everyone is quick on chopping people down,i have been around fast cars for over 28 years had cars going 9's did most of the work my self,i am shore there is a lot af guys that know their buicks but some are full of it,i know with a good tune it could be done been there before,just wanted to hear some opinions,thanks guys

Sorry about taking your post off topic. I went back and re-read your original post... When I had a stock compression 3.8 I ran 21 pounds of boost. With my dump opened it jumped up 2#s. Based on that I think you should run exactly 21.

(Note: If you take the above advice you WILL be exposing the inside of your engine to sunlight.)

That 28 years and 9 sec cars in your past are actually going to work against you with this car. About two months ago there was another guy here with almost the same resume. All he wanted was to twist the boost gauge without getting the car ready for it. Was that you?

No that wasn't me,i know is all about taiking small steps starting with a baseline with no knock then proceed in small increments till I get knock then back up 1psi or so...

Put 50K miles on my stocker - 93 octane with 16-20 psi with no problems... car had 109k on it when I sold it to my friend in '97 and it still has original gaskets. Get a scanmaster which is a must, if you're not getting knock on the SM, run what you want.
thanks man will do ,a lot of dudes with quick triggers (Holy Shit):eek:

I don't understand why you are shooting for 18psi? Each engine is different because of the amount of restriction in the intake. If you port and polish the intake your boost will have a drop in pressure but you will increase power. Pressure is just resistance.....

A buddy of mine had a Subaru STI and he was always asking what psi I run. Why does it matter? There are bunches of guys who only run 15psi who are way faster than me and I run 20+ psi. I guess I don't understand why you would want to shoot for a pressure and risk everything. Why not shoot for the most psi you can get without knock. That sounds more reasonable to me.

I don't understand why you are shooting for 18psi? Each engine is different because of the amount of restriction in the intake. If you port and polish the intake your boost will have a drop in pressure but you will increase power. Pressure is just resistance.....

A buddy of mine had a Subaru STI and he was always asking what psi I run. Why does it matter? There are bunches of guys who only run 15psi who are way faster than me and I run 20+ psi. I guess I don't understand why you would want to shoot for a pressure and risk everything. Why not shoot for the most psi you can get without knock. That sounds more reasonable to me.

X2. My buddy goes 150mph on his stage II car at under 20psi with a 4788 and I need almost 30psi to squeeze just 120mph with my te44. I'm glad you brought up the "boost is a restriction" idea. I always forget to mention that.

I was able to get up to 16 psi on 93 octane but was getting a little knock here and there. 15 was fine. Then I switched to larger (60#) injectors and an E-85 chip and I can run 23 psi with no knock on E-85, and a lot more power. If E85 is available in your area you might want to look into that, or an alcohol injection setup. You can't get too far on 93 on a stock setup.

To the OP.......if your gonna get into really tuning these things I would strongly suggest a scan master with the up dated chip and a logging device. I just ran a SM for years....it works good but the older version is slow and if you see kr its already happened....the newer version is faster but its almost so fast you can not actually see whats going on and when.

The best investment I have made has been a TT chip with a power logger.......I was able to get a nice clean run outta my car with just a scam master.....I basically just played with the tune to where I saw zero KR....the car went 11.5 which is not bad for 18-19 psi but it had a lot more in it due to the tune being a lil fat. Since then I got a PL and have had the car go just about as fast with 3 pounds less boost and on pump gas because I was able to see what the hell the car was doing!

Good point above.....dont worry about your total boost amount....learn how to tune and run as much boost as you safely can....all cars are different some can run more than other on pump gas.

This is easy.

Spring cleaning
Adjustable regulator (I think you said you have one already)
Aeromotive 340 Stealth fuel pump
Racetronix hot wire kit (I have a new, never installed one if you want a good price)
60# injectors, recalibrated TT chip
Alky
FP gauge
new plugs & wires
Scanmaster

You should be set for 22-24 psi no problems with the above, safely. Stay out of it if it's hot outside.

Forgot to add 'Power plate'. Better downpipe and Hooker exhaust when you can afford it, cold air kit, new MAF, translator, etc..you're never done with these cars.

Every car is different but having it in top shape going to determine your boost limit. You need a Scanmaster immediately. Fuel and ignition needs to spot on.