18psi is it safe on 92 octane

Emiliano Lago

6262 turbo
What's up guys I am new to this forum I have a 1989 tta just wanted to know if it is safe to run 18psi off boost on 92 octane,the motor is preety much stock,i am not looking for anything crazy,just want to make the car a little quicker maybe to be in the low 12,s,the car is already a 13.4 car in stock form.I am trying to keep the car mostley stock without having to change much ,what do you guys think,any input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks guys

nope.

And picking a random 'boost number' is great for bench racing, but it real life it'll get your head gaskets shot out the block (if you're lucky)

What's up guys I am new to this forum I have a 1989 tta just wanted to know if it is safe to run 18psi off boost on 92 octane,the motor is preety much stock,i am not looking for anything crazy,just want to make the car a little quicker maybe to be in the low 12,s,the car is already a 13.4 car in stock form.I am trying to keep the car mostley stock without having to change much ,what do you guys think,any input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks guys

Have you actually driven the car to a 13.4 et or did you read that's what it runs? I'm mobile so I can't see your sig so do you have a scanmaster? I'd be surprised to see a 13.4 on pump gas alone let alone a 12 sec pass but I'm not afraid to be wrong. Every car is different as to what boost level you run.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Its fine as long as you have enough fuel. Buy octane boost and drop one or two in the tank I've been doing this for years and I haven't had any problems. With a chip adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a good fuel pump you will definitely see a big difference.

N. Ramos
Brooklyn NY

Its fine as long as you have enough fuel. Buy octane boost and drop one or two in the tank I've been doing this for years and I haven't had any problems. With a chip adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a good fuel pump you will definitely see a big difference.

N. Ramos
Brooklyn NY
thanks man on the info.

I managed it with tt chip and power plate years ago. Better get a ScanMaster to monitor your tune and KR. It will be on the edge for sure. That kr gauge is for aborting runs IMO. You will never truly know what the knock counts were or when they start/end. Engine tie down will also be needed to help eliminate false kr. If your new to these engines, take baby steps. Get a SM and tune the car from idle on up. Spring cleaning helps too. Get to know the car and parts then start playing.

You've got a LONG list of preventative maintenance you have to take care of first. THEN you have to add some gauges and monitoring devices.

after that, you can begin tuning and going faster.

If you dump some octane boost in your tank (that doesn't do shit) and turn the boost up, you'll be needing an entire rebuild or, if you're lucky, only some head gaskets.

While U R at it, take a look at what plugs are in there. "Stock" plug range is likely too hot for where U R headed.

I would suggest a ton of research before touching anything under the hood....if you dont know what your doing your gonna hurt it real quick!

Listen to the well know members on this board........as Earl stated the octane booster in a bottle is a waste of money.....and you really need a way to monitor whats going on and most importantly understand what your monitor (SM or PL) is telling you and how to make corrections.....

If not then your gonna be making post that say....."what happened to my engine" or questions on a rebuild.......

Get some monitoring equipment and run the car the way it sits until you know what your looking at and understand the car....then start going faster.....you'll save yourself some headache.

Best of luck:cool:

Good info in the above two posts and some not so good info before that. These engines are rewarding but not easy to keep in order. It's a science experiment every time you hit the gas.

Good info in the above two posts and some not so good info before that. These engines are rewarding but not easy to keep in order. It's a science experiment every time you hit the gas.

Agree however alky has made it a lot easier!

Nope is right, I was running mostly stock without scanmaster and 93 octane and this happened. Now with Alky, Scanmaster and a few bolt ons no knock now!

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 145
I managed it with tt chip and power plate years ago. Better get a ScanMaster to monitor your tune and KR. It will be on the edge for sure. That kr gauge is for aborting runs IMO. You will never truly know what the knock counts were or when they start/end. Engine tie down will also be needed to help eliminate false kr. If your new to these engines, take baby steps. Get a SM and tune the car from idle on up. Spring cleaning helps too. Get to know the car and parts then start playing.
thanks man will do