10 lbs of boost

streetknights

i can't get my car to go past ten pounds of boost, stock actuator(adjustable), i can bypass the solenoid and still only get ten pounds???

Leaky intercooler hose fitting somewhere is a likely culprit.

Possibly a bad turbo but a rare occurrance.

Arm too loose or puck not sealing properly.

Hmmmm.....If you went tuner style (bypassed the w/g solenoid), then I would guess the w/g puck isn't sealing completely. Either that or you have the Y fitting on the w/g hose reversed. Remember, the leg with the orfice goes towards the compressor (I think...haven't look at it in a while..lol). Sometimes it's just the simplest things that can drive us bananas, especially on these cars....lol.

streetknights said:
i can't get my car to go past ten pounds of boost, stock actuator(adjustable), i can bypass the solenoid and still only get ten pounds???

If you by-pass solenoid you will probably only see 10-12# boost, because thats about what the spring pressure is.
Additional boost is acheived thru use of the solenoid being pulsed by chip commanded duty cycle bleed off.

I'm guessing you have a bad solenoid :eek:

Joe

I think with the key on, but no motor running, when you floor it, you should hear the solonoid clicking.

streetknights said:
joe lubrant, do you know where i could buy a solenoid?

I would call Caspers Electronics...847-247-0484 ask for Justin, Joe, or John, they will help you out :)

Joe

turbo2nr said:
I think with the key on, but no motor running, when you floor it, you should hear the solonoid clicking.

This may or may not work...since the pulsing of the solenoid is controlled by the chip. It is controlled by TPS position & RPM.
Some chip programs do not use the lower 2 or 3 RPM entries to pulse the solenoid, so just flooring it with just key-on may not activate it.

Joe

discontinued

i talked to my local dealer this morning, he said there was one dealership in the nation showing it in stock, he called them and they said it was discontinued

They rarely go bad so you might want to test the wiring and the solenoid itself as a start.

Key on car off test look for +12 on the pink/blk wire to the solenoid using a voltmeter or test lamp.

Next test would be an ohms test of the solenoid itself with the factory wiring and connector off, coil inside it should read around 20 ohms or so with a good meter across the two solenoid connections.

Next test would be to hook up some pressure limited shop air around 10psi. or so regulated air to one of the ports. It shouldn't leak out of the other port when connected up, don't use more than 30psi. for the test. You may need to zip tie the hose on the nipple.

Then hook up a wire to the battery + terminal and the other end to the solenoid connector port that went to the pink/blk wire, leave the factory wiring and connector unplugged for this test.

Next take a ground wire from the battery terminal or a good chassis place and put it on the solenoid connector where the purple/white wire was located.

Shop air should flow out of the other port when it's connected. You can put a gauge on it to test for flow if you want.

This may sound silly, but easy enough to check..... but......are the hose(s) going to the gauge in good shape and well connected ?

Disconnect the hose from the actuator and plug it . Take the car out and gradually increase the throttle. Don't stab it to the floor,because it might overboost if the turbo is good. By not allowing a signal to go to the actuator,you force all exhaust energy to go through the turbine. None of it will bypass the turbine. If your turbo is good you'll see alot of boost. If you can run full throttle this way,and only make 10 lbs,you have a bad turbo. If running with the hose off produces alot of effortless boost,you have a bad solenoid or an actuator with a week spring. Do this test before spending money.

boost test

going from what lubrant said, it sounds like if i disconnect the actuator and plug that hose then i would definately only see ten pounds, by the way i tried another known good solenoid on it and saw no change

streetknights said:
going from what lubrant said, it sounds like if i disconnect the actuator and plug that hose then i would definately only see ten pounds,
He didn't say that. You can't assume this will happen. You have to do it to know for shure. Again,if you do this and find that you can still only achieve 10 lbs,you have a bad turbo. If,however, you can produce alot more boost,that would be a good thing. I hope the test produces more boost. Do the test.

streetknights said:
I tried another known good solenoid on it and saw no change
This means your actuator spring is too weak,or your turbo is bad. Do the test I described. If you sill produce only 10 lbs,your turbo is bad or your wastgate is stuck open. If you make alot more boost your actuator spring is too weak. You can either shorten the actuator rod through the adjustment,or buy a new actuator. Do the test.

test

i was looking over the car again and can see where exhaust gas is escaping by the shaft for the actuator, is there a seal or bearing around that thing that will go out, could this be my culprit, i'm going to do the test that you were talking about this afternoon(ttype6), i've been working a lot and haven't had time until now, thanks for all your help