Your Thoughts On THS Rules For 2012

I would really try and make it to many races if I knew that my trans (the most expensive part I'd break) would hold up. I could sell my built 200r4 and my converter and buy a built 350 that will last me all year (theoretically) and not have to worry about dropping 6-9k on a trans each season.

Man if you know somebody who dropped 6-9k on 200s running THS in a season I need to know that story. I will take even farther if they have done that in the three years THS has been around I want to know. If someone can prove that to me I have a deal they cannot turn down.

I have seen where you have mentioned you have a stage 2 tranny from Lonnie and that is about a $ 1900 trans. He charges $350 for a freshen up how could you get to 6-9 K in a years. You could carry a spare and have them both freshened during the year and still not be there.

Thanks, Kip

Man if you know somebody who dropped 6-9k on 200s running THS in a season I need to know that story. I will take even farther if they have done that in the three years THS has been around I want to know. If someone can prove that to me I have a deal they cannot turn down.

I have seen where you have mentioned you have a stage 2 tranny from Lonnie and that is about a $ 1900 trans. He charges $350 for a freshen up how could you get to 6-9 K in a years. You could carry a spare and have them both freshened during the year and still not be there.

Thanks, Kip

Sorry did not see your post

I need to ask. Where are you coming up with 6-9K in a season? I can understand your concern if thats what you believe to be true. In this case you purchased a transmission from me. If it ever needs freshened its a Flat $350. Then on my dime for another year.

Haha, you'd be rich if people spent that much a year

A safety rule that may need to be explored is cutoff switches for the batteries. It is required for cars running 9.99 or 135mph. With the battery in the front this would be difficult

If your going to go with what is required for cars running 9.99 and faster, your car is missing a bunch of it. lol

Lonnie's Stage 2 here with a deep pan and a bat brake...it's about 8 years old with 1 freshen up about 4 years ago...I have had it so hot on the transbrake that my shifter was hot in the car...I change the fluid regular and it hasn't skipped a beat...plus he already said he'll take care of you.

Transmission

Well i currently have a 2004r in my car that was built by myself and Richard clark. It's been holding up great. I have the billet forward drum and input shaft. with a mallendar T-brake. i think i have around 1000 bucks in it.

I'm sure to just freshen it up would be less than 300 bucks.

I don't think even the most elaborate built transmissions can cost now where near 6-9k.

I would really try and make it to many races if I knew that my trans (the most expensive part I'd break) would hold up. I could sell my built 200r4 and my converter and buy a built 350 that will last me all year (theoretically) and not have to worry about dropping 6-9k on a trans each season.

If this is a budget class, why not allow those to use parts that help the budget? I see the very valid point of worrying about TSM guys coming into THS, but its not like they couldn't just sell their 350/400s and get a 200r4 anyway if they wanted to join.

If someone from TSM wanted to join THS, they're going to do it, be it trans rule or not. I have every bit of faith my trans will hold what it is rated to, but if it blows up, I'm out for the season, and there are only a few people who build these trans very well.

I'm simply speaking from a broke college guys perspective. I'd like to race a class, but I can't afford the price tag of a 200r4 every few races, even if Lonnie will rebuild it once for free.(which is incredibly generous, and I deeply appreciate the gesture of kindness)

I don't mean to come off like an A$$. but if your afraid to break it you really shouldn't race it.

Good input by all who posted,good to see it turned out better than last year. I say lets go racing!!!
DDay

Here is an update, since I posted for people to email me about 200 problems if they wanted to keep it off the board, I have not got a single email about this. Also I have not recieved any phone calls lobbying for a change. In other words nothing has taken place behind the scenes, all of it is here for people to see. With this being said there seems to be no proof that a transmission rule change wil lhelp the class so we will continue on with the 200.

Another subject that came up in this thread was to open up the intake rule to help a 3800 based engine to enter the class. Well as soon as give something to one person/ combo everyone else will want it then and someone will use it as a performance enhancement and not for ease of a conversion. So the rule will stay the same and at tech the RRA will have the final say if something comes in question.

The battery issue that was brought up can be handled by wording in the final rules post.

Did I miss anything from the thread????

Thanks, Kip

Here is an update, since I posted for people to email me about 200 problems if they wanted to keep it off the board, I have not got a single email about this. Also I have not recieved any phone calls lobbying for a change. In other words nothing has taken place behind the scenes, all of it is here for people to see. With this being said there seems to be no proof that a transmission rule change wil lhelp the class so we will continue on with the 200.

Another subject that came up in this thread was to open up the intake rule to help a 3800 based engine to enter the class. Well as soon as give something to one person/ combo everyone else will want it then and someone will use it as a performance enhancement and not for ease of a conversion. So the rule will stay the same and at tech the RRA will have the final say if something comes in question.

The battery issue that was brought up can be handled by wording in the final rules post.

Did I miss anything from the thread????

Thanks, Kip

Looks like basically no changes.... which is good to me. I agree with the no changes.....unless you want to allow fiberglass hoods...lol...I had to..

Looks like basically no changes.... which is good to me. I agree with the no changes.....unless you want to allow fiberglass hoods...lol...I had to..

I got a kick out of that. Since you brought it up, I will ask does anyone have an opinion they want to share about fiberglass hoods being aloowed?

Thanks, Kip

I got a kick out of that. Since you brought it up, I will ask does anyone have an opinion they want to share about fiberglass hoods being aloowed?

Thanks, Kip

I have no issue with a glass hood.

Lol yeah I mean my hood is probably the best panel on my whole car.

But I don't really care either way on the rule.

It offers no real performance advantage and does not take away from the class by having a fiber glass hood any more than fiber glass bumpers. If it makes one car that much closer to racing b/c the changed it and dont want to go back to the steel hood... why not?

I can tell you that as being one that swapped back and forth that it offers no performance advantage, but it does allow the possibility for those who do have them to race. I have ran faster times with the steel hood than the fiberglass one...crazy enough the nose weight helps keep the nose down after the 330....my steel one is just ugly...not that the rest of the car isnt...lol... O just in case the idea is that the fiberglass helps you will 60ft...not so... I have run a faster 60ft with the steel hood by .06 secs(with no other changes)...in which if I didnt see it and do it... I wouldnt have believed it..(the rule clarification last year made me learn this) may not seem like a lot..but we all know it is...

Whatever you all decide is good with me....

How about allowing more tire options
Allow different sizes so we can use whatever we have as long as frame rails and fender isn't rolled?
Idlike to be able to use my other wheels and tires on both cars.
If a guy wants torun a 17 or 18 or 29.5 and it fits wit no mods and saves him money why not?

Run what you brung?