Your Thoughts On THS Rules For 2012

A 67mm can race that trans now.
In x TSM.
Do we have to do this drama every year?
Waters getting muddier each time.
Take the t400 ad yourwhatever size turo and get a big weigh break and play in xTSM.
Kip you specifically talked me out of the T400 on my cell while I was rounding on TCU A 2 years ago at work to get the200r4 to run THS???

Clay, it has been drama free imo. Its an actual civil discussion where Kip is getting feedback on what the racers want. If he didn't do it this way, he would be accused of not caring what the racers want.

So far, I have seen more people vote against a trans rule change than for.
I see :
jd wanting it. He is known to show up at multiple races a year.
Steve pitts' son is for. We know Steve shows up at about every race.
Jet mech said he is in for Osceola. He raced there last year.

Three racers (me included), don't care one way or the other (wraith and turbotnz06)...all of us raced numerous events last year.

Lots of "keep rules the same" votes.

Kip you specifically talked me out of the T400 on my cell while I was rounding on TCU A 2 years ago at work to get the200r4 to run THS???

Clay, I remember telling you to go 200 over the 4l80 at that point in time. I told you alot of stuff that day as a matter of fact, like to use the ford ends and skip the c clip eliminators for you needs. Heard you switched them out for this season, good move. Looking forward to having you in the class for 2012.

Take care, Kip

Ok question for all, does anyone know of a racer who could not make a round of eliminations because of a 200 trans failure in 2011?

Thanks, Kip

The question is to specific..... IMO.... I do know of trans failure that left racer out of next race.... I know of several that had tranny problems at the events that lead to pulling and rebuilding the trans to continue....or left them wounded enough that they couldnt run the next round as needed. I think if you are looking for the reliability of the 200... you should ask "Who has had issues at events that required opening the tranny up to repair or had to make a wounded pass (i.e. no second gear... just made pass 1st to 3rd)?"

As stated... I dont care either way.....I think I have as much in my tranny as anyone does... and it doesnt hurt my feelings a bit if 350 or 400s allowed.

The question is to specific..... IMO.... I do know of trans failure that left racer out of next race.... I know of several that had tranny problems at the events that lead to pulling and rebuilding the trans to continue....or left them wounded enough that they couldnt run the next round as needed. I think if you are looking for the reliability of the 200... you should ask "Who has had issues at events that required opening the tranny up to repair or had to make a wounded pass (i.e. no second gear... just made pass 1st to 3rd)?"

Ok fair enough. Can you post these peoples names or get them to post here. I would like to get to the end of the trans subject and move on shortly.

Thanks, Kip

I dont know if they will post...nor do I give names of issues that I know have happened ( just dont tell someone else's business...) .... but I can tell you that every event I have attended this year... someone had tranny issues......... it costed some people a motor.... others the race.... that I know 100% of.... breaking the tranny is one thing... but getting the motor is where I agree with all these guys wanting some security.... I don't know that their stories would sway you one way or another... but all BS aside..... that is straight talk....

Two people lost the tranny in BG....almost the same amount in both peidmont/Reynolds.... hope that helps.

I dont know if they will post...nor do I give names of issues that I know have happened ( just dont tell someone else's business...) .... but I can tell you that every event I have attended this year... someone had tranny issues......... it costed some people a motor.... others the race.... that I know 100% of.... breaking the tranny is one thing... but getting the motor is where I agree with all these guys wanting some security.... I don't know that their stories would sway you one way or another... but all BS aside..... that is straight talk....

Two people lost the tranny in BG....almost the same amount in both peidmont/Reynolds.... hope that helps.

I have not seen a stage 3 transmission fail yet. If you take a 500dollar transmisson and expect 9.9 to 10.5 its a matter of time.
Th only way I've ever been able to hurt mine was when I did a three foot launch and accidentally double hit TB in the air.
It needed a 400 dollar repair after that. My fault.
That's the cheapest thing I've broken on the car to date.

I agree with clay above.

I saw some 400's break this year and last and had a 400 take me out of bpg a few years ago. Trans problems are just not limited to 200's.

Th only way I've ever been able to hurt mine was when I did a three foot launch and accidentally double hit TB in the air.
It needed a 400 dollar repair after that. My fault.
That's the cheapest thing I've broken on the car to date.

Clay please don't take this the wrong way, but that is funny. The to date part is what got me.

Take care, Kip

I.... but I can tell you that every event I have attended this year... someone had tranny issues......... it costed some people a motor.... others the race.... that I know 100% of.... breaking the tranny is one thing... but getting the motor is where I agree with all these guys wanting some security.... I don't know that their stories would sway you one way or another

Yes hearing the stories and knowing what broke could sway me, that is why I am here asking. If someone who has had a problem and it will keep them from racing THS in the future I want to hear about it. If the person with the problems wants to keep it off of TB.com they can email me. If the tranny breaking caused the engine to fail they had other problems besides just the tranny.

See ya, Kip

It would only be fair to compare 200 failures vs head gasket failures vs turbo failures vs whatever else broke. I saw a few head gasket failures but no one is calling for a stage 2 yet.

It would only be fair to compare 200 failures vs head gasket failures vs turbo failures vs whatever else broke. I saw a few head gasket failures but no one is calling for a stage 2 yet.

Id like the ta/stage block and 400 to be legal :)

I had some problems this year, but really the only trans issue I had was at BG....and it was valvebody not hardpart related, and I welded 3rd on my bonzai run...in retrospect I should have just tried to make the show....plain and simple I was thrown a curveball and missed it, I put the pieces back together and move on......I am not sure if Sean is referring to me, at piedmont I know I just about caught my car on fire, we got the trannies very hot trying to finish two classes before the rain came...I have since added a puke tank.

I would like to see Lonnie run the 3800, so if he wants a loophole for that intake, I say give him a shot....

Ill run this class regardless of the trans....Happy Holidays!

What is really the core subject is the trans. If the trans rule needs to be opened up then it will be. Not looking to add one thing that then changes other things. When looking at changes everyone has to keep tech in mind also. We had 23 cars done in a timely manor at bg. TSA had 5 cars that took hours, I am not looking to go there. At that pace 23 cars would have taken two days for tech.

I saw the offer Lonnie made you and think that is huge. What races are you looking to attend for 2012?

Thanks, Kip

I see your point.

Not sure what races. I want to get the car tuned up first.

Lonnie's offer is incredibly generous, and I appreciate it.

I had some problems this year, but really the only trans issue I had was at BG....and it was valvebody not hardpart related, and I welded 3rd on my bonzai run...in retrospect I should have just tried to make the show....plain and simple I was thrown a curveball and missed it, I put the pieces back together and move on......I am not sure if Sean is referring to me, at piedmont I know I just about caught my car on fire, we got the trannies very hot trying to finish two classes before the rain came...I have since added a puke tank.

Ill run this class regardless of the trans....Happy Holidays!

Thanks for your information, as it helps. Also thanks for your positive attitude about racing the class.

Peace, Kip

A safety rule that may need to be explored is cutoff switches for the batteries. It is required for cars running 9.99 or 135mph. With the battery in the front this would be difficult

A safety rule that may need to be explored is cutoff switches for the batteries. It is required for cars running 9.99 or 135mph. With the battery in the front this would be difficult

Hi Kevin,
I think you could use a rear mounted battery for easy cutoff. The rule as written says battery in the front of the car. Does not say you need to use it. I read it kinda like the fuel tank.

I don't have a problem with other transmissions being used. There is not one advantage of a 350/400 over a 200 other than cost of repair.

I just hope this class don't become tsm since. Xtsm is here. All I can say let's try and keep this class for the streetable cars.

I don't have a problem with other transmissions being used. There is not one advantage of a 350/400 over a 200 other than cost of repair.

I just hope this class don't become tsm since. Xtsm is here. All I can say let's try and keep this class for the streetable cars.

I would really try and make it to many races if I knew that my trans (the most expensive part I'd break) would hold up. I could sell my built 200r4 and my converter and buy a built 350 that will last me all year (theoretically) and not have to worry about dropping 6-9k on a trans each season.

If this is a budget class, why not allow those to use parts that help the budget? I see the very valid point of worrying about TSM guys coming into THS, but its not like they couldn't just sell their 350/400s and get a 200r4 anyway if they wanted to join.

If someone from TSM wanted to join THS, they're going to do it, be it trans rule or not. I have every bit of faith my trans will hold what it is rated to, but if it blows up, I'm out for the season, and there are only a few people who build these trans very well.

I'm simply speaking from a broke college guys perspective. I'd like to race a class, but I can't afford the price tag of a 200r4 every few races, even if Lonnie will rebuild it once for free.(which is incredibly generous, and I deeply appreciate the gesture of kindness)

Don't worry we are not headed there. We are not broke so there is no need to fix, just looking at options that have been asked about is all.

What this is all about is helping the class. Since day one of THS, people have talked about differnet trannies being let in and here is a chance for people to show how that would help the class. Not just one racer to make one race but the class. It needs to be proven that this will bring more racers to more events or that alot of the racers that are with us are having troubles I do not know about. I know that there are lots of 200s getting the job by different builders:

Kevin B says 200 passes on his stage 2 from Lonnie.
John Plog posted his has been in his car for 3/4 years from Brian Hofer.
David Day's has been in his car for three years and has no high dollar parts in, built by himself.
John Case who runnered up in Alchy this year said he could not be happier with his built by Lee Thomspon.
Many have seen Red Armstrong's TSE car mid 9 with a Vice Janis trans.

So in a nut shell here is the chance for people to show how it helps THS for 2012.

Take care, Kip

I would really try and make it to many races if I knew that my trans (the most expensive part I'd break) would hold up. I could sell my built 200r4 and my converter and buy a built 350 that will last me all year (theoretically) and not have to worry about dropping 6-9k on a trans each season.

I need to ask. Where are you coming up with 6-9K in a season? I can understand your concern if thats what you believe to be true. In this case you purchased a transmission from me. If it ever needs freshened its a Flat $350. Then on my dime for another year.