Xylene

broke

broke
Anyone used this foe octane enhancement? Anyone have an opinion on xylene as an octane modifier?

Used it years ago. Very good octane booster but you need 30plus ounces per gal of gas. Gets pricy in large amounts.Back in the 60s we used moth balls. Again great booster.They worked because they were made of naptha. Todays mothballs have synthetic compounds.Good luck with what ever you try. Tom

will the xylene damage the fuel system or any of the enternal engine componemts provided there is no knock of course

These days just buy a alky kit and run 100% methanol in it. However a few gallons of xylene and 4 oz of MMO the best dam fuel system cleaner there is. :wink:

Agreed on the cleaning, Just be careful to put a rag on your bumper a single drop will etch the paint..

These days just buy a alky kit and run 100% methanol in it. However a few gallons of xylene and 4 oz of MMO the best dam fuel system cleaner there is. :wink:

Used to use xylene as my "race" fuel back before I got my alky kit. 3 gallons of Premium + 2 gallons Xylene + few oz. of MMO, shake well and dump in the tank. Never had any issues and never had any knock at the track.

Used to use xylene as my "race" fuel back before I got my alky kit. 3 gallons of Premium + 2 gallons Xylene + few oz. of MMO, shake well and dump in the tank. Never had any issues and never had any knock at the track.

+1. Ran that formula for 2 years with a 100 oct chip. It does get old mixing it and you have to be very careful not to spill (the same with alky but your dealing with a much smaller amount). Went to alky and never looked back.

Xylene works good, but if you are going to run it, make sure you drive the car on a regular basis. If you let the car sit for a week, the xylene can settle out, making the car a bear to start, and will destroy a wideband O2 sensor. (a Bosche one anyway.... lol)

thanks for all of the replies. really thought it wouldnt hurt an o2 methanol is in the future along with a 6262

don't mean to high jack this thread or anything but how about Toluene. is it not also a popular mix i beleive its some where at 114 octane rating