XFI and MSD DIS-4

I agree...that's why I posted this here...but it's still confusing...I know I should have gone dist...guess I'm just a masochist at heart..:(

Go to a Dizzy set up. More now, but better in the long run. Run a Crane hi6 box and never look back.

Is there anything I would need to change with XFI to use an MSD DIS-4?...I'm having problems with an intermittent signal to the MSD box...please don't tell me to get rid of the box...I'm aware of problems with them but I don't have any choice...I need more spark and don't want to go dist...

Had the same problem with the MSD and OEM computer. The problem was the MSD rev limiter. I had it set up for 5500 rpm but the ignition would break up at about 4000. Cranked up the rev limit and the problem went away.

Dave, i am going to try my hardest to take you down.

Is the motor back yet for your c6?

Hey Dave & Adrian,

Why don't you both put some skin down on this. I'll hold the bets :biggrin: :rolleyes:

George

My MSD-4 box was working when I had my old Accel Gen 6 dfi. Once the Fast XFI was installed, and I hooked the MSD box up, the car at idle was misfiring. I hooked the bypass connector up and the misfire goes away. I too called MSD and they had no knowledge of any compatbilty problems!:confused: Sucks because I really want to use the two step...

My MSD DIS-4 HO and XFI works fine now...no help from MSD...the problem was that I had the 2 rotary dials for RPM MAX REV LIM set to zero...no where in the instructions does it say these 2 dials have to be set...I thought at a minimum all I had to set was the first dial for IGNITION MODE...not true...I set the RPM MAX REV dials to match what I have set in XFI...runs fine...

Crap

I guess I should have kept my mouth shut. I was doing some start up tuning in my trailer yesterday and one minute the car started the next it didnt. I thought I might have messed something up in the program, but I had not. I hooked up the bypass plug and she fired right up. I really need a two-step for racing but don`t know what else to use?

My MSD DIS-4 HO and XFI works fine now...no help from MSD...the problem was that I had the 2 rotary dials for RPM MAX REV LIM set to zero...no where in the instructions does it say these 2 dials have to be set...I thought at a minimum all I had to set was the first dial for IGNITION MODE...not true...I set the RPM MAX REV dials to match what I have set in XFI...runs fine...

Scott, when you were getting no signal, was the vehicle not starting? What symptoms did you have? I have the box with the dip switches, I don't know if it's the same solution but maybe mine are set that way too, I'm going to check today. It's just odd that it worked with the Accel and not with the XFI...

Had 2 problems...was getting the intermittent signal and anything above 1000RPM's the motor would stumble/shake...the intermittent signal was cured by running all grounds straight to the battery...the stumbling was cured by setting the MAX REV dials...never had a problem in starting the car

Had 2 problems...was getting the intermittent signal and anything above 1000RPM's the motor would stumble/shake...the intermittent signal was cured by running all grounds straight to the battery...the stumbling was cured by setting the MAX REV dials...never had a problem in starting the car

I'm pretty sure mine is fried. I guess I will send it in and see how much its going to cost to fix.

Craig...how long have you had your MSD?...do you drive your car on the street at all?...

I have had this box for acouple of years. I prob have less than 5 street miles on it and under 30 1/4 runs. I cant really complain because I havent spent a dime on this box YET. I sent it off today. I will let ya know what happens. I know next time I will use the bypass plug for everything except dragstrip runs!

Just for FTI, these boxes are not fixable. The entire electronic assembly is potted/sealed. So they either replace the box or give you the old one back, unfixed..

I was just looking at the MSD web site and wondered into the forums section. Apparently the new rotary dial boxes are not potted! I still dont have any info on my box yet.

update

I got my MSD box back yesterday. My original box was repaired. The cost was about 85$. I hooked it up today and the car started fine.
So it looks like the rotary dial boxes can be repaired.

Did they tell you what was wrong with it?...or what may have caused it to go south?