XFI and MSD DIS-4

MSDGN

Is there anything I would need to change with XFI to use an MSD DIS-4?...I'm having problems with an intermittent signal to the MSD box...please don't tell me to get rid of the box...I'm aware of problems with them but I don't have any choice...I need more spark and don't want to go dist...

I have found that you can only use the DIS-4 that uses dip switches with an XFI.The newer style MSD box uses rotary dials and doesnt seem to be compatible with the XFI.we have two cars running XFI'S and the "older" DIS-4 with no problems.hope this helps.

Nick,

Really?...not that I doubt what you're saying but that makes no sense that going from a dip switch to rotary would make the box not compatible...MSD doesn't seem to know anything about that...what problems have you seen with the rotary dial ones that you don't see with the dip switch ones?

i would very much like to know the answer to this question as well. I am in the same situation.

I really cant tell you what is different but they definetly are regardless of what MSD tells you.there have been plenty of other people who have had the same experience.both of our cars have tryed the newer style and had the same problems.we went to the older model and have had no issues since.

when we used the newer rotary style it would cause the ignition to break up and sometimes not let the engine rev more than 5000 rpms,give or take.

if you do a search you should find more about this problem.

Nick,

MSD and XFI

Mine either, fast that is,:( , @ one time we thought it was the MSD but it was the module, it would cruise fine and when you go past 20lbs it would break up nasty ! mine also but havnt really proved my car yet , 6.6 @ 108. in the 1/8 1.67 ****ty foots working on that and sure it got more but foot braking the car 3800 with me in the car , Do have last version of MSD which was told they don't make any more :( From MSD also running XFI

It has something to do with the Dwell time compatibility between the 2 units.

I was under the impression that the early dip switch models had the compatability problem and the newer rotary dial models fixed that problem?

Exactly, the later boxes were the alleged fix to the situation. But that was far from the truth. For those of you that its working for.. you are lucky.. it likely wont be for long. Just make sure that you have the bypass plug ready when problems arise.

It wasnt just us, the Ford modular guys had issues with them too.

Exactly, the later boxes were the alleged fix to the situation. But that was far from the truth. For those of you that its working for.. you are lucky.. it likely wont be for long. Just make sure that you have the bypass plug ready when problems arise.

It wasnt just us, the Ford modular guys had issues with them too.

I had one of the original dial prototype boxes on my car for awhile. I drove the car on the street one hot day and it failed shortly after that. I sent the box back to MSD and they sent a new production model to me for free! I believe these boxes are made for drag strip only situations. I dont think they are meant to be used for long continuous periods. I keep my bypass plug in my console!

Ok i been using a dis 4 h.o. for years with no issues i switched to the xfi and it never missed a beat . I know that the new ones are not supposed to work i have 2 friends that tried everything and gave up .I do know if you try one you might have to gap your plugs a lil tighter like .025 and power and grounds can cause nightmares so make sure its not an install issue .Laz

We ran the new style dis4 and had the same problems discribed. The car cut out around 5000 rpm. We sent it in and had it fixed but it still done the same thing.
With the looper on it it ran fine but we had no two step so we bought a distributer setup off of Cal. MSD is a problem on any car you put it on sooner or later. JMO

Ok i been using a dis 4 h.o. for years with no issues i switched to the xfi and it never missed a beat . I know that the new ones are not supposed to work i have 2 friends that tried everything and gave up .I do know if you try one you might have to gap your plugs a lil tighter like .025 and power and grounds can cause nightmares so make sure its not an install issue .Laz

OK...now I'm confused...everything MSD says is that the spark plug gap should be opened up...around .005 more...

Just for FTI, these boxes are not fixable. The entire electronic assembly is potted/sealed. So they either replace the box or give you the old one back, unfixed..

OK...now I'm confused...everything MSD says is that the spark plug gap should be opened up...around .005 more...

Stop listening to MSD and listen to the guys who have had the hands on experience with the situation.just a suggestion;)

Nick,