WTH is this? Came with some SII parts...

Squid4life

Anyone know what this was used for? Bolts to the back of the crank. Some type of direct drive?

Come on Mike B, here is some trivia. You probably have a dozen of these sitting around. ;)

DSC03188.JPG
DSC03189.JPG

pdzz said:
I'm betting its off an Indy car.

Probably so. I can't remember how all that stuff is routed on the lites cars/indy cars with the big belts, etc in that aluinum triangle deal....

I bet it's off a sprint car. I see a small starter wheel for a bellhousing mounted starter, a dry sump drive pulley and an input shaft spline on the inside. Sprint cars don't use a clutch, so this basically replaces the whole clutch assembly.

^ Thats exactly what it is, I have one on a shelf from a dirt track car.

I believe I might have to own that shortly!! Never seen anything like it. Mike

I bet it's off a sprint car. I see a small starter wheel for a bellhousing mounted starter, a dry sump drive pulley and an input shaft spline on the inside. Sprint cars don't use a clutch, so this basically replaces the whole clutch assembly.
Well they do kinda have a clutch, but not like a conventional one.;)

The Sprint Car uses a direct drive system that reduces weight and prevents
the loss of power through a transmission. The Sprint Car runs on alcohol and is
a push-start racecar.

http://www.brinninc.com/brinnoriginal.html

They used to use in and out boxes with dog clutches, which kind of remind me of motorcycle or outboard gear boxes. Now I think they use some type of arrangement in the rear end to go in and out of gear.