WTF, lost my door lock key

Grim0013

So yeah, I lost my door lock key somehow. Don't ask. I still have the ignition key, but can't get in, heh. Anyways, I've never been in this position and am not sure what the best course of action is for resolving it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Simple- Bend a coat hanger so it will hook onto the door lock knob. Thread it into the car and you will be in in less than two minutes. Then get new locks. Good luck- Brad

So yeah, I lost my door lock key somehow. Don't ask. I still have the ignition key, but can't get in, heh. Anyways, I've never been in this position and am not sure what the best course of action is for resolving it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would honeslty say;
Since this is your forst post, and you just joined, I'd call the cops to have them assist for free, opening up your car.
Put your taxes to work.
If it is not your car, put my taxes to work. ;)

I would honeslty say;
Since this is your forst post, and you just joined, I'd call the cops to have them assist for free, opening up your car.
Put your taxes to work.
If it is not your car, put my taxes to work. ;)

cops still do that in your area? huh....they just laugh if you call them for that around here.....
strange question..you had the car long? most Tr owners know how to get in their car without the key...

Hey how do we know its really yours dont tell him that in public

Come on now. It's a 20 year old GM car with a plastic steering column and nice little door lock knobs sitting on top of the doors. The first thing you learn on the computer during your 5th grade study hall is how easy they are to steal. Well break into anyway.:rolleyes:

I prefer the coat hanger pressing on the power lock switch button myself.:p

I prefer the coat hanger pressing on the power lock switch button myself.:p

That would be sweet. Unfortunately the power locks only work for locking, not unlocking, heh. Probably need to go through and clean up the contacts and stuff when I tear open the doors for sound deadening this winter.

At any rate, yeah, I probably should have thought of the coat hanger. I guess I should have googled "how to break into a G-body" instead of "replacing lost lock key on old-ass cars" or whatever it was I tried. Really though, getting into the car isn't my biggest concern at the moment. It's what it is gonna cost me, in time and money, to resolve the issue if the key doesn't turn up that I am more concerned with.

Yes, first post, though I've been lurking for quite some time. It was here that I found the "for sale" ad which led to the purchase of my first GN, finally, almost three years ago. Too bad the last year was spent garaged, waiting to get trans issues resolved. Hopefully I'll be paying Mr. Anderson a visit up in Baltimore one Saturday soon.... If I can get my roommate off his ass to drive up there with me so I have a ride back to DC, that is.

Thanks for the info btw.

Oh, and there is no way in hell the cops around here are gonna come open my lock for me. The fire dept. won't come get my cat out of the tree either. :biggrin: And we didn't have computers in school in the 80s, so I never really got very good with B&E.

I pull the window out with my left hand and coat hanger the lock pull in an upward fashion. 2 seconds. ;)

I would use my spare key:rolleyes:

a coat hanger gets you into the car- just be careful not to mangle the weatherstrip around the window.
if you jsut want to get a new key made, then take the glove box lock into a locksmith and get a pair of keys made for it. might cost ya $10.
if you want to get the cylinders re-coded in case someone else "found" your key and doesn't know how to use a coat hanger to pop a lock on a 20 year old GM car, then you need to pop out the glove box, door, and trunk cylinders and take them in to get recoded- but you will still need to get the the stock key made to get into the trunk if you don't have an electric trunk release and don't want to mangle the trim to pop the trunk cylinder out from behind the license plate.
yeah, these cars aren't very secure...

then take the glove box lock into a locksmith and get a pair of keys made for it. might cost ya $10.

This won't work. The door and trunk use 6 tumblers and the glove box only uses 5 of them. Plus it's a PITA to pull. Better to just buy a new lock set and be time and money ahead.

This won't work. The door and trunk use 6 tumblers and the glove box only uses 5 of them. Plus it's a PITA to pull. Better to just buy a new lock set and be time and money ahead.

Good info. Not sure if the glove box lock matches the rest anyways, since I had to replace part of it and can't remember if I replaced the whole thing or not. I'm tearing down the doors to do sound deadening anyway, so may as well do it with a door lock.

Pull the glove compartment lock out. Take it to a locksmith, and he should be able to make you a kee that fits your door. You can also remove the trunk lock and do same, that is if you have a power trunk option.

good luck.:smile:

okay.. so, I lost my keys as well. All I can find seems to suggest you need the key to be able to pull the glove compartment tumbler. Is there a different way to do it without the key? Thx

j