WOW.. Windows security alert virus

Madcat455

True love
I'd just like to give major KUDOS, to whatever hacker/deadbeat/scumsucker/etc. wrote this code.

I mean.. it's GENIUS!!! Looks identical to a windows alert.. but it takes you to a place to "pay" for the AV "upgrade".. so not only do they F your puter, but they get your CC info.. if you're not smart enough to know better.

NOT only that.. but it completely F's ALL your programs.. my AVG, Task manager, whatever.. all come up with "this file has been infected" and don't open.

Firefox is the only program that works.. LOL.

To make matters worse... I had it 2 weeks ago, used a spyware program to fix it, and since then (using firefox) there have been no issues. Till YESTERDAY, when I HAD to use IE(had the LAN settings F'd so it wouldn't connect) to access a company website (AT&T doesn't like FF I guess). And WHAM.. it's back today.

Oh well... Luckily, I have a bud that does IT for the state.. and he's sending me a Win 7 disk and code.

But either way.. if any of you get that Windows security alert popup.. close it out and get a new Spyware prog.

BTW.. spybot and AdAware don't catch it. Malware bites is what I used last time, and is what's running now.

Still... this one is the most cleverly created programs I've seen.

I run Linux Ubuntu, its free, no problems, bugs nor headaches, loads quick and doesnt require 50 gigs of ram and 90% of the processor to run the OS like microcrap

If you have your HD partitioned you can install Ubuntu on the other drive with dual boot
Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

Windows setup is link provided, follow links for windows installer, choose 32 or 64 bit

goodluck and when your sick of pulling out your hair, there is an alternative

Most of those sites detect your running OS and display a page like your my computer view or something. Did you search for a site and click on one that directed you to an infected web page?

The biggest hole for IT security right now is with adobe reader and flash player. It affects Windows, Linux and Mac Os installs.
Gumblar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will love 7. I can't go back to XP now. Give ubuntu a shot if you want, I keep on ubuntu box up and running at home to play on sometimes.

I'd just like to give major KUDOS, to whatever hacker/deadbeat/scumsucker/etc. wrote this code.

I mean.. it's GENIUS!!! Looks identical to a windows alert.. but it takes you to a place to "pay" for the AV "upgrade".. so not only do they F your puter, but they get your CC info.. if you're not smart enough to know better.

NOT only that.. but it completely F's ALL your programs.. my AVG, Task manager, whatever.. all come up with "this file has been infected" and don't open.

Firefox is the only program that works.. LOL.

To make matters worse... I had it 2 weeks ago, used a spyware program to fix it, and since then (using firefox) there have been no issues. Till YESTERDAY, when I HAD to use IE(had the LAN settings F'd so it wouldn't connect) to access a company website (AT&T doesn't like FF I guess). And WHAM.. it's back today.

Oh well... Luckily, I have a bud that does IT for the state.. and he's sending me a Win 7 disk and code.

But either way.. if any of you get that Windows security alert popup.. close it out and get a new Spyware prog.

BTW.. spybot and AdAware don't catch it. Malware bites is what I used last time, and is what's running now.

Still... this one is the most cleverly created programs I've seen.
Psssshhh That virus is oldschool childs play...Wait till you come across The Google Installer Virus :eek: It is like 50 different viruses all hiding under two bad ones that wont let you get to the others..

It will stop ALL your virus scanners disable your firewall and freeze your computer even in safe mode!!!:eek: You have to redownload ur virus programs and change the names of them before you save them so they will work...This removed the first 2 after i scanned it 3 times.. SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

After that the other 50 or so viruses were uncovered and i got them off with spybot,avg,malwarebytes,and adaware...These were inneffective against the initial two "cover up" viruses even after redownloading and renaming them...

If ur running XP after that use...... Windows Live OneCare safety scanner: Free online tool for PC health and safety

Do a cleanup scan this will fix your registry free and its a microsoft program...i actually use it on a regular basis...:biggrin:

Most of those sites detect your running OS and display a page like your my computer view or something. Did you search for a site and click on one that directed you to an infected web page?

The biggest hole for IT security right now is with adobe reader and flash player. It affects Windows, Linux and Mac Os installs.
Gumblar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will love 7. I can't go back to XP now. Give ubuntu a shot if you want, I keep on ubuntu box up and running at home to play on sometimes.

Once Gumblar has infected a webserver, the website on that server becomes a carrier, and spreads the virus to new computers. Anyone browsing to an infected website can pick up the virus yes.... AR and Flash as well as awstats files but its big thing is to inject itself into the Internet Explorer browser intercepting all of the computer's Web traffic to redirect google search results to infected URL's

So with all that said, From the links I read earlier the problem is with windows machines. Compromised windows machines then send a password to a central server and crackers can then access the server via ftp.
Only Internet Explorer users are affected.The virus enters IE via a flaw in Flash or Adobe Reader and then looks for FTP credentials and uses them to infect another site, and so on. This would likely require admin/root privileges on both Windoze or Linux. But since I run Linux,MY browser would not have root access (as opposed to most Windoze users who surf with admin privileges leaving their machine wide open to attack).

To find out if a computer is infected:

1) Locate sqlsodbc.chm in the Windows system folder (by default under Windows XP, the location is C:\Windows\System32\);

2) Obtain the Sha1 of the installed sqlsodbc.chm. FileAlyzer is a free tool that can be used to obtain the SHA1 of a file;

3) Compare the obtained Sha1 to the list located on the ScanSafe STAT Blog;

4) If the SHA1 and corresponding file size do not match with a pair on the reference list, it could be an indication of a Gumblar infection.

The most effective way to remedy an infection is to do a full reformat and reinstallation, according to ScanSafe. Passwords or login details that were stored or used on infected machines should also be changed.

Ya.. I can't believe how quick it came back. I only went to TWO pages with IE.. AT&T's payment system, and Facebook.

No searching or surfing.

Turbo87.... if I ever got a virus like that.. I'd take my puter on a "range trip"... see how well the casing would hold up to some hot lead.

GOD.. I hope 7 isn't as big a security sieve as XP is:mad::mad:

Got it off for now... disabled IE again (dummy address in the "use automatic config. script" box), so kids won't be able to use it accidentally.

puter's 5-6yrs old... so probably time for a reformat anyway.

Would a better router help any?? I'm just using a basic, unsecured, wireless router now. But my work has a linksys, and none of those puters have been hit.. and I go to the same sites on those, as I do here (more actually, because I surf for work). And I have to use IE to boot.

Thanks

I hope 7 isn't as big a security sieve as XP is:mad::mad:

Since 98% of computers are running MS-OS there will always be people out there constantly searching for holes to exploit, It wont matter when version 20 comes out, there will still be holes to exploit. It seems that most MS-OS users spend more time trying to fix issues then making their system safe but it wasnt that issue that made me change over, I just like the fact that Ubuntu doesnt need as much to run and I run 4 or more desktops on a rotating cube with fire comming out of the buttons:biggrin: aka need good video card but anyway, it loads easy and quick, runs smooth and if i do a side by side comparison of Vista and Ubuntu on one laptop i have here with dual boot, using processor monitor, Vista sucks power, uses way more ram, more crap running in the background sucking off more power, constantly thinking of its next move and trying to decide if and when it will. etc etc.

Yes there is a big prolly misconception that Mac and Linux users feel is a false sense of security but once again most of the attacks are targeted towards MS-OS users.

I turn on the system and turn it off when IM done, I do no banking online and only keep a small amount in my paypal and if i want to add to my paypal i use a debit card that is only for online shopping with max of $200 on it at all times.

The flaw is in the adobe products, they just released critical patches for it. Attack vectors are changing for this virus. It will target anything it can.

Most of the environments I run have the user as a normal user, not one with full admin rights. 7 requires permission before you can touch certain parts of the OS. most windows users b!tch about it but, it follows closer to the restrictions you would see on a unix system.

Most of the environments I run have the user as a normal user, not one with full admin rights. 7 requires permission before you can touch certain parts of the OS. most windows users b!tch about it but, it follows closer to the restrictions you would see on a unix system.

yes but your not normal...lol really you do this crap for a livin which makes you in the top .0000010%.. while the other 99.9999% buy their system from store down the street, and jump on under admin and have no clue. OS7 went to permissions but still asks the average nimrod what they want to do which most will say yes? i havent even looked at OS7, no need to.

Do you run that OS exclusively on your puters?? or run dual OS's??.

if exclusively, have you noticed any programs, sites, whatever.. that didn't work??

I just have some big $$ programs, (Coral draw, Paint shop pro, medical dictionaries, etc) that I wouldn't want to make useless (although.. there's no guarantee that they'll work with 7 either).

Thanks

Do you run that OS exclusively on your puters?? or run dual OS's??.

if exclusively, have you noticed any programs, sites, whatever.. that didn't work??

I just have some big $$ programs, (Coral draw, Paint shop pro, medical dictionaries, etc) that I wouldn't want to make useless (although.. there's no guarantee that they'll work with 7 either).

Thanks

Ubuntu has GIMP which is damn near close 2nd to photoshop... all my artwork is done on Gimp, Vector programs for Ubuntu include Xara Xtreme and another.

I have a few systems, most are Linux only but the one Laptop IM on at the moment is dual boot
If you just log into windows, go to ubuntu.com and follow the prompts to download using the windows installer.. save the file on a preferred seperate partition and it will install giving you dual boot. which is best for new person.

To install linux as a stand alone you have to do a few extra things plus your Ndiswrapper needed for getting wifi to work as well as other possible issues with video drivers etc.. ya have to force feed em sometimes so its best to have windows installed first for a new guy.

Is there a learning curve getting used to Ubuntu desktop?...yes just navigation to learn but I love it

Lets put it this way... Windows is like Mustangs while OSX and Linux are the Buicks:)

OK.. I'm onboard. One last question, before I go download it.....

how in the heck do I know if I have 32 or 64 bit??? LOL. I think XP is only 32, but I'm not positive.

maybe just do the 32 bit.. and play it safe..LOL.

Lets put it this way... Windows is like Mustangs while OSX and Linux are the Buicks:)

That's is not a good comparison. Both have their strong points and weak points. At least you aren't running around telling people they should go buy a mac.

Vista doesn't count for anything really. The process goes XP > W7 No vista!

My best machine at home running 7 only uses 820MB with a dozen or so apps loaded. The biggest hog is firefox, 120-300MB depending on the number of tabs I have open. IE is much lighter than that.

Ubuntu or opensuse are the two better (user friendly) free distributions out there. I can't see a single reason why anybody buys a mac when better security is found in completely free products.

That's is not a good comparison. Both have their strong points and weak points.

Hence the comparison, Mustangs are mass produced, 50 zillion on the road, kids walk in, sign on the dotted line and think they got somethin fast, easy to get into, plenty of parts and aftermarket is huge.... Buicks on the other hand.... our numbers are small and despite the mechanical maintenance issues, we like what we got and we know what we have.

Anyway just trying to make a funny

madcat if your processor is 64 bit then choose that, if its a 32 bit then there ya go

Hence the comparison, Mustangs are mass produced, 50 zillion on the road, kids walk in, sign on the dotted line and think they got somethin fast, easy to get into, plenty of parts and aftermarket is huge.... Buicks on the other hand.... our numbers are small and despite the mechanical maintenance issues, we like what we got and we know what we have.

Anyway just trying to make a funny

madcat if your processor is 64 bit then choose that, if its a 32 bit then there ya go

Went with the 32.. followed your instructions, and am posting my first post with it now..LOL. Def. like the look. Will give it a shot. Like that I can run it dual with XP too. May do that once 7 gets here, will have to go through this all over again.. but looks to be worth it.

Thanks for the prodding.,,, lol.

Went with the 32.. followed your instructions, and am posting my first post with it now..LOL. Def. like the look. Will give it a shot. Like that I can run it dual with XP too. May do that once 7 gets here, will have to go through this all over again.. but looks to be worth it.

Thanks for the prodding.,,, lol.

any questions.. pm me.... i'll let ya get used to it before i turn ya loose on Compbiz... thats the tool to make your desktop into rotating cubes with evil fire and crazy stuff

I had the same virus:mad:I would love to meet on of these hackers in person.I really would like to hear how they sat in their mom,s basement with cheetos and an orange pecker.I wonder how long they would stay standing when you suckered them in the chops:rolleyes:These people have nothing better to do.:rolleyes:If they put their talents to productive projects they would probably be very wealthy .Get a life:DJust saying

Kevin

Well... Finally got it all set and done. End result, is running my puter with dual OS's. Win 7 and Ubuntu.

After an actual side by side comparison.. 7 kicks all other Window Os's Arse... but can't hold a candle to Ubuntu.

Everything is ssoooooo much faster with Ubuntu, it's not even funny. Plus not having to worry about viruses, trojans, malware, etc..

I don't foresee me spending too much time on 7:wink:

Already told my kids to use Ubuntu exclusively...

Bottom line... If you're game, give it a shot.. spend the time to learn it. It's WELL worth it.

Thanks again Mcasteel!!!! I'm officially addicted.

I got to my dealership yesterday and this virus had attacked our main computer..

I found a link, and lost it:mad:, that had a quick fix. You had to copy a small reg. file and then run a decent spy program to get the last bit off. Spybot did it for me after the manual reg. fix!