Would you buy a Tikka?

The 458 LOTT is nothing more than what the 458 win mag was supposed to be Shane. The 2 cartridges inter change as well and that was my reason for picking it. The other way to look at is is a 45-120 on steriods.:biggrin: I already have a Marlin 45-70 lever gun that I like and load it to almost the same level as the 458. Makes for a very hard hitting brush gun with a 405 grain bullet.:eek:

The 458 LOTT is nothing more than what the 458 win mag was supposed to be Shane. The 2 cartridges inter change as well and that was my reason for picking it. The other way to look at is is a 45-120 on steriods.:biggrin: I already have a Marlin 45-70 lever gun that I like and load it to almost the same level as the 458. Makes for a very hard hitting brush gun with a 405 grain bullet.:eek:

I have to correct this slightly. The 458 win will work in place of the 458 LOTT but not vise versa.:redface:

I have to correct this slightly. The 458 win will work in place of the 458 LOTT but not vise versa.:redface:

I was going to ask you about that. I've seen the LOTT and Win Mag standing next to each other, and there's a fairly significant difference in case length!! The LOTT being the larger of the two.

I was going to ask you about that. I've seen the LOTT and Win Mag standing next to each other, and there's a fairly significant difference in case length!! The LOTT being the larger of the two.

The funny part is they are the same case, but the 458 win is cut down. Both are based on a weatherby mag case but I don't remember which one. The LOTT is the full legnth one and the win was cut down to fit into conventional recievers of the time. First rifle was the model 70 original and they hadn't started to make different legnth recievers at the time. The 460 weatherby is a much larger case but the LOTT will still perform at the same level.:)

Well I finally got out and shot the Tikka 30.06. The down fall of a light gun is going to be the recoil and this gun proved that true. But what gun does not kick while you have it on the bench pulling the trigger slow as molasses? It was windy with constant winds at 21mph and gusting harder so my goal was just to get it on the paper at 100 yards and quit. After ten shot I was ready to quit as my shoulder was taking a beating and the wind was making it hard to make good shots. When I left my last three shots at 100 yards were well within a 2 ½ in diameter. Most of the error I think was the wind blowing me around as I tried to stay steady. The gun is guaranteed to be with in a 1 inch diameter and I don’t see any reason to question that. The trigger pull is great and the bolt is the smoothest I’ve felt. I plan to get out and do some more shooting this Friday then go deer hunting the following week. I’ve always used a muzzle loader or a shot gun to take deer in the past so I can’t wait to see the speed of the riffle at work.

Well I finally got out and shot the Tikka 30.06. The down fall of a light gun is going to be the recoil and this gun proved that true. But what gun does not kick while you have it on the bench pulling the trigger slow as molasses? It was windy with constant winds at 21mph and gusting harder so my goal was just to get it on the paper at 100 yards and quit. After ten shot I was ready to quit as my shoulder was taking a beating and the wind was making it hard to make good shots. When I left my last three shots at 100 yards were well within a 2 ½ in diameter. Most of the error I think was the wind blowing me around as I tried to stay steady. The gun is guaranteed to be with in a 1 inch diameter and I don’t see any reason to question that. The trigger pull is great and the bolt is the smoothest I’ve felt. I plan to get out and do some more shooting this Friday then go deer hunting the following week. I’ve always used a muzzle loader or a shot gun to take deer in the past so I can’t wait to see the speed of the riffle at work.

That's a lot of gun to be shooting out there in the IA flat lands. Hope you're a first shot hit shooter! ;)

All this kinda reminds of a gun I've always dreampt about having built (but could never afford, and probably still can't). A 300 mag. semi auto, with a longer HEAVY barrel that could be effective out to 1,000 yards. Also open peep sites, that have enough adjustability to use out to 1,000 yds.

Something like this?

Benelli Shotguns | Benelli Rifles | Benelli R1 Rifle

GUNSKNIVES91811002.jpg

This is my Beneli R1 in 300 WIN MAG. 3+1 of pure semi auto firepower. 1000 yds? No problem. Beneli does offer iron sights for it as well. If you've been following current MIL trends, most SOF snipers have transitioned to the 300 WIN MAG as the standard sniper round. It is in fact, one heck of a round. Especially with the new ones that have just recently been released.
Just thought I'd share.

Patrick

I do have a match Garand but personally I prefer a bolt gun for long range. Take a look.:biggrin: And yes, I really did build it myself.

Attachments

• DSCN0005.jpg
    DSCN0005.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 185
I do have a match Garand but personally I prefer a bolt gun for long range. Take a look.:biggrin: And yes, I really did build it myself.

NICE!! Personally, for long range matches, I liked the Garand because it was difficult enough inserting a new clip when "strapped in". Having to shuttle a bolt on every shot would have been more difficult. I was strapped into the sling so tight that any movements were difficult.

Something like this?

Benelli Shotguns | Benelli Rifles | Benelli R1 Rifle

GUNSKNIVES91811002.jpg

This is my Beneli R1 in 300 WIN MAG. 3+1 of pure semi auto firepower. 1000 yds? No problem. Beneli does offer iron sights for it as well. If you've been following current MIL trends, most SOF snipers have transitioned to the 300 WIN MAG as the standard sniper round. It is in fact, one heck of a round. Especially with the new ones that have just recently been released.
Just thought I'd share.

Patrick

Ya, something like that, but I like beautiful wood stocks. Sure they're heavier, but when drawing down on a paper target a thousand yards out, heavier is better. Love the sling, would be easy to get strapped into that.

NICE!! Personally, for long range matches, I liked the Garand because it was difficult enough inserting a new clip when "strapped in". Having to shuttle a bolt on every shot would have been more difficult. I was strapped into the sling so tight that any movements were difficult.

Never had that issue myself but I was a rank amiture after all. I was doing it for fun.:smile:

That's 1 of 2 thumbhole stocks I've done and after that one I swore I'd never do another one. Total PITA to fit and finish. Bolt clearence was a real pain as well. I'm not happy with the scope but right now I don't have the $ to replace it with something worth while.:redface:

Ya, something like that, but I like beautiful wood stocks. Sure they're heavier, but when drawing down on a paper target a thousand yards out, heavier is better. Love the sling, would be easy to get strapped into that.

Wood does weigh more but I like the stability of laminate or synthetic. I've got a heavy club rifle in .308 and then there's the very heavy class one. The .308's in fiberglass and the other's a laminate and I'd have no issue with taking a 500+ yard shot with either.:biggrin: The heavy class one is a modified bench rest style bull barrel and is one of the most comfortable rifles I've ever shot. Even my buds that've shot it have been suprised at how little it kicks.

Ya, something like that, but I like beautiful wood stocks in. Sure they're heavier, but when drawing down on a paper target a thousand yards out, heavier is better. Love the sling, would be easy to get strapped into that.

Unfortunately, Benelli only offers the R1 with either the black synthetic or Real Tree APG stocks in 300 WIN MAG or 338 WIN MAG. But the black synthetic stock has a rubberized coating which is very similar to Brownings Dura-Touch coating. Quiet possibly the exact same, as I can't really tell the difference between the two. This coating will make you a believer, trust me. The AA Grade Walnut stock is only available in .30-06 caliber. Don't let the synthetic fool you though, this thing has some heft too it, they claim it's 7.3lbs dry. Mine checks in at 10lbs loaded as you see it.

Also, with the ComforTech recoil stock and ARGO operating system, you get a 2x reduction in recoil with the 300 WIN MAG. My former long range Remington 700 VTR in .308 kicked harder than this R1. That was the HUGE eye opener for me. One other thing of note, the ARGO operating system used in the R1, is the exact same as used in the Marine Corps M4 shotgun.

Benelli Shotguns | Benelli M4

BTW, very nice rifle Charlie.
Anywho, just thought I'd share.
Didn't mean to thread jack.

:D

Patrick

That is one sweet rifle Patrick. Didn't know you were into them also. I'm looking at a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in either a 243 or 308 so I can get reduced recoil ammo for the girls to shoot in the next year or two.

That is one sweet rifle Patrick. Didn't know you were into them also. I'm looking at a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in either a 243 or 308 so I can get reduced recoil ammo for the girls to shoot in the next year or two.

It's a good caliper and the ammo's cheap but I'm not a big fan of reduced loads myself. If you can find one in 6.5x55 Mauser the girls should be able to shoot it without downloading the ammo and it holds almost as many distance records for distance accuracy as the 30-06. Ammo's a little more expensive but it's my favorite cartridge for just about anything on 4 legs.:biggrin: Here's my 96 Swedish custom I built and it weighs in just over 6 lbs fully loaded and give me .5" three shot groups all day long.:cool:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 156
Very good suggestion. I've also had a few folks mention the 35 Remington. I haven't done any real research into it yet, but everything seems to point to it kicking like a 30-30. I have a 98 7x57 Mauser that I need to get rebarreled (the rifling is worn out). My Grandfather and I sporterized it when I was in my early teens.

Very good suggestion. I've also had a few folks mention the 35 Remington. I haven't done any real research into it yet, but everything seems to point to it kicking like a 30-30. I have a 98 7x57 Mauser that I need to get rebarreled (the rifling is worn out). My Grandfather and I sporterized it when I was in my early teens.

Do a search for ER Shaw in PA. They do great work and the polished blue finish will suprise you. I sent a Siamese Mauser to them for a conversion to 45/70 years ago and it was beautiful when they were done. Really resonable as well. You could also change calibers if you want to something else. I've got my first rifle still and bought the 8x57 barrel from them and have been really pleased with the quatlity of the work they do.:) I put the barrel on myself though.:biggrin: