Would you buy a Tikka?

chadly

I’ve been looking at 30.06 riffles in the $600-700 range and one that seems to get a lot attention is the tikka’s. Stainless with polymer stock runs six bills. I did some research and berretta owns sako who makes the Tikka. I read in 2004 they had some troubles but I have yet to find any bad reviews since. They are very lite at 6.5 lbs. I know there is a lot gun enthusiast here so I’m asking if any of you have any opinions about them. I’m really thinking of picking one up next week so I will be ready for the late January hunt.
Merry Christmas!

TIKA is a good brand and if I remember right they made quite a few rifles for Weathrby. (sp) I doubt that you will be unhappy if you get one of them.:) If you want to do a custom rifle PM me. Since you're in a NAZI type state I don't think I can send any parts but I do have quite a few "toys" left over from my custom rifle making days.:biggrin:

Tikka=Good, did you end up getting one? thanks

Ron

Picked it up tonight. I had them mount a Leupold 3 x 9 on top and bore sight it. Hopefully I will go to the range on Friday and break it in.:biggrin: I need to figure out what grain I want to shoot and see which manufacture shoots best through it.

I prefer using a 165 grain boattail myself but you might want to check the twist rate of the barrel before you pick one. If it's a 1 in 10 twist you should be good with just about any but the lightest slugs. If it's a 1 in 12 twist then you'll be better with a 150 grain.:)

I've paid way more for the right to own a set of Ta Ta's....... I'll tell you that.

Turned out I was just renting them.............................I broke the lease and I'm still paying it off.

I prefer using a 165 grain boattail myself but you might want to check the twist rate of the barrel before you pick one. If it's a 1 in 10 twist you should be good with just about any but the lightest slugs. If it's a 1 in 12 twist then you'll be better with a 150 grain.:)

Thanks. It actually an 11". So what do you think I should start with?

Thanks. It actually an 11". So what do you think I should start with?

Try the 165 grain first. 1 in 11 is a really odd twist but most of the rifles seem to like a little more than a 150. 180 may work ok but that's a really heavy bullet in most cases.

anybody know anything about ar 15's ? i dont want one that takes a 223 round they look too little. i did see that they make a 9mm round for the ar15 but i dont really know a lot about these guys yet. must be american made and hopefully been in business a while.i would like to buy a gun that is being made now that way im not trying to track down a 20 year old guy. prefer to be in the $1200-1500 price range. any advice or suggestions appreciated.

i just bought a used 30.06 remington 742 woodsmaster with scope last week for $315 out the door ! my cousin coincidently has the same gun and got a big for CT deer this year with his 160# dressed probably 200 of the hoof pretty wide rack 8pointer. i know the guns finicky and needs to be kept clean but my cousin got a bump of deer with his

thanks guys

I have a AR-15 in .223/5.56, you can have different uppers that go right on the lower but the problem with the .50wolf is
the ammo, real spendy and at times could be hard to get, out to 200yds. or so a real monster, what I did was buy me
a 7.62x39 upper, the old AK round, she is good and still strong at 350-400yds. with good ammo, but I mostly use the
commie ammo, cheap and never misses a beat, as alot of us know the AK round hits hard, the Army is thinking of going
to the 300AAC which is a 7.62 round and still use the .223 mags and lower and just change the barrel, thanks

Ron

James, that .223 will do A LOT more damage than a 9mm... Bullet size can be deceiving...

They make some very nasty defense rounds now... An AR15 loaded with the right ammo will stop any sob in his tracks...

Charlie, you got me thinking hard about a "custom" rifle... I really like 7.62x54 round, for availability... Not sure what is best for accuracy and long range though... I have most every caliber from 30.06 down covered...

Charlie, you got me thinking hard about a "custom" rifle... I really like 7.62x54 round, for availability... Not sure what is best for accuracy and long range though... I have most every caliber from 30.06 down covered...

Do you mean the 7.62 x 54R or the 7.62 x 51 NATO Shane? That makes a big difference here. If you want a 7.62 x 54R then just get one of the surplus 91/30 Nagant snipers and you should be happy with it. If you want a 7.62 x 51 Nato I've got a few recievers laying around that haven't been completely finished yet. I've even got a P-14 that will work great for anything up to a .458 or bigger cartridge and a P-17 barreled receiver that could very easily be made a 300 mag or leave it as a 30-06. I can send some pics if you want.:)

As far as long range it's a toss up between ballistics though. The 2 cartridges that hold the most world records are the 30-06 and the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser round. I love my 6.5 that I built years ago and it's the one I take out most of the time. Getting the right twist is one of the problems you run into. The .338 Laupa is also a great long range cartridge but ammo is really pricey now.:frown: I really should call and chat with you on options here so you can get a better idea what you want to do.:biggrin:

I love the knowledge here.. Got ourselves are own Hickok45 here!! Ive shot the tikka's they are very nice guns. Would like to get one once I move outta NJ, Gun laws suck here BIG TIME!!! Plus cant hunt with a rifle in NJ but you can hunt with a Muzzleloader with 150grains of powder and a 250 grain sabot??? yeh tell me bout it

All this kinda reminds of a gun I've always dreampt about having built (but could never afford, and probably still can't). A 300 mag. semi auto, with a longer HEAVY barrel that could be effective out to 1,000 yards. Also open peep sites, that have enough adjustability to use out to 1,000 yds. Brings back old memories of my days on the Navy rifle team. We had our own (own only while on the team that is) 7.62 Garrand with open peeps. They broke us in on 500 yd ranges, and things got serious when they took us for training on the 1,000 yd ranges. Getting slinged into a Garrand so tight you could barely breath sounds greusome, but was a ton of fun!!!

I want to try the 338.....I could probably afford the gun just not the optics...

I've got one P-14 I was going to do a .458 LOTT with but it's fallen to the wayside now.:( Everything is trued except for the front of the reciever. The box and ejection port was increased in size and the rear of the reciever has been welded up and contoured for scope mounting. Doubt I'll ever get back to finish now though.:(

Once I decide on a caliber I will give you a call Charlie! I got some 7.62x51 rifles all ready. Just got in my new FNAR .308 with the heavy fluted barrell... It is a nice semi auto that is supposed to be 1 moa @ 100yrds... Some supposedly are reaching out to 6-800 yrds with great groups... I just bought 2 new VX3 Leupold's, one is a 3x9x50 and the other is a 6.5x12x50. Trying to decide which one for this gun. The other will be going on an A-bolt. I am thinking 7.62x54 for the ammo prices and a fun shooter... I am SERIOUSLY, as Ronnie mentioned, considering a .338 lapua as that is one long reaching nasty round...

I saw that new show American Guns make a 458 Lott. Seemed to be a bear for sure!