worn idler arms, ball joint

kshef

if you have bad idler arms and ball joints and you don't get them fixed, what would happen?
this isnt on a TR but i'd thought i'd ask here
there is alot of "play" in the steering wheel, especially on the interstate

There is only 1 idler arm(pass side) the other is the pitman arm.
alot of slop could be the tie rods.

Originally posted by kshef
if you have bad idler arms and ball joints and you don't get them fixed, what would happen?

The steering will get sloppier and sloppier, and eventually a piece will fail and you'll lose your steering.

It also screws up your alignment. The worn pieces let the toe move all over the place, which will eat your front tires in no time.

Not to mention the increased vibration and the fact that you'll be going through front tires at an alarming rate.

If the ball joint breaks at highway speed....

....your tire and wheel will fold up into the wheel well, and you will have very little, if any, control of your steering. It's quite possible for such an incident to cause a crash. An idler arm isn't likely to cause a lot of steering play unless it's really loose. More likely you have some tie rod ends loose as well. Your best bet would be to have it checked out at a reputable alignment shop, and have them tell you what you need. Then if you feel up to the task, replace the parts, and then take it back for alignment. :cool:

i got everything replace and the steering is fine..i was just wondering if there was a sense of urgency in getting the parts replaced, since i've been riding this way for months