witnessed kill hemi ram vs trans am ls1

tracy

I was behind a short box 2wd Ram and a white non ram air- trans am - not sure what year.

Well the trans am guy was revving and brake torquing trying to egg the Ram on. Light turned green - both of them spun their wheels a ton.

They raced to the next light - maybe an 1/8 mile or less and I was shocked to see that the Ram held the T/A off and actually took the T/A out of the hole.

I rolled next to them a few lights later and saw the Ram had a Hemi in it.

I'm sure the T/A could beat him in a longer run, but you have to respect a 4,000 lb. plus truck holding off an LS1. I know the Hemi makes considerably more power and torque than an LS1, but I thought the extra weight would have been more of a handicap.

I doubt you'll find that to be the typical outcome. The Hemi's rated 345hp and 370-375lb*ft is far being "considerably more powerful" than the LS1. Last time I checked, Hemi Rams are far from running mid-13s.
But, I'm sure it was cool to see the TA get taken! :D

I'd call 40 horsepower and 30-40 ftlbs of torque considerable, but whatever. Nice to see an LS1 get humbled by a truch that is as aerodynamic as a Wal-Mart and weighs at least 1000lbs more.

My point is that for a truck, it has obviously has some stones. If they put that motor in a lighter sleeker car, it would hand an LS1 it's lunch, which I have read is in the works only it will be a 6.1 litre version touting around 400 hp.

No reason to get sarcastic. I was simply giving some info. And the LS1 factory ratings were very conservative. Most were making 310-325 to the rear wheels, so the rated Hemi advantage isn't as big as it looks.
I agree that it'd be great to see a Hemi pull an LS1, but I'd chalk that one up drivers. Not starting a pissing contest...

Ill bet ya the TA was not a TA. Betcha it was a 6 cylinder F car. Hemi rams are not fast. way too heavy to even be close to a LS1. (unless it had nos ):)

Originally posted by FlyinGN
Ill bet ya the TA was not a TA. Betcha it was a 6 cylinder F car. Hemi rams are not fast. way too heavy to even be close to a LS1. (unless it had nos ):)

Sorry to dissapoint you - it was an LS1 likw I said.

I like kills like that where the car that's not supposed to win does.

I remember when I was in 13.7@101mph trim but the car hooked extremely well on the street. I would launch at 10psi and floor it right away. I beat cars I never should've had a chance with redlight to redlight. Usually it was short enough to where I was still pulling when we shut down so a lot of people around here thought my car was a good second faster than it really was.

Im not dissapointed Tracey.
Th elatest C&D tested a 1500 Hemi ram and it turned a 0-60 in 8 seconds. and 1/4 mile in 16.2.. Hardly a match for the slowest LS1. Dontcha think. Like I said, Thats just about where the firebird v6 runs.

be lucky if that hemi p/u runs 15's. the ta was either a bad driver, got 0 traction or was a 6 banger..which still probally shoulda won.

When two cars race light to light, the faster car does not always win. I've seen this kind of thing happen before and it's as funny now as it was then. Excuses don't count in racing or else there would never be a loser.

Maybe the guy in the T/A was a bad driver, but that makes it even harder to live with if you're him - especially since it was an automatic. In a sprint to 40-50 mph, the Hemi Ram did well against this guy and his T/A. If the speeds would have exceeded that, yes the LS1 would have most certainly passed him. I think you guys are under the impression that I think the truck is truely faster..not at all, but I was impressed nonetheless.

From what I've seen over the years, some LS1's seem to run better than others. Never can be too sure. I was out on the last warm weekend a few weeks ago playing around in my GN, and it's bone stock. A newer, red, non R/A TA is sitting behind me at a light. The big fog lights and high rear wing will usually distinguish a firebird from a TA, so no v-6s in this car. Anyway, as I leave the light casually, the TA swings out to go by. I jump on the gas and walk away from this guy. I was expecting to get hosed so this was a pleasant surprise. But like I said, it was a non Ram Air with an automatic. You just never know what's gonna happen til the the pedal drops.:D

if they only raced about a 1/8 of a mile, it would seem like the first one to sixty would win, i used to own a 00 ram air and i gaurantee that a dodge ram will not beat a trans am to sixty.

Originally posted by 87grandnat
if they only raced about a 1/8 of a mile, it would seem like the first one to sixty would win, i used to own a 00 ram air and i gaurantee that a dodge ram will not beat a trans am to sixty.

I can't change history guys..it happened what else can I say.

My Hemi is kind of quick for a 4000+lb daily driver, it went 15.6 in
100 degree weather with 900 on the odometer. On cold weather days good drivers are running under 15. I can hold my own with a stock 5.0, 4.6 or LT1 in a short sprint but I would not even try a Z28 or T/A with a LS1.

a friend of mine has a new hemi ram with exhaust, cold air and a 150 shot that might hold its own against a ls1.

Originally posted by stroked347
you could add a GN to that list

Probably not, because the GN is quicker than all of the above in a short sprint, especially the Mustangs that can't hook worth a crap.

non ram air- trans am - not sure what year

LT1? Possible? If he saw the race then no one can dispute him. Some of the LT1's are getting old now and I've seen them run 18's at the track.

Kev :)

my dad and i drove a hemi ram that we wer doing some work on(putting in a bed liner), and we were far from impressed.

-jeff

Originally posted by iamjeff
my dad and i drove a hemi ram that we wer doing some work on(putting in a bed liner), and we were far from impressed.

-jeff

Well I can see why some people might be. Some people have an expectation that since it is a hemi, it is going to run like a 426 hemi 'Cuda...and that obviously isn't the mission of the hemi truck. However, from what I have seen in comparisons between Ford & GM, the 345 horse Hemi is about as good as it gets in the world of V8 work trucks and that was the mission of this motor. There is no denying it's a great mill with enormous potential and it's begging to be massaged and dropped into a RWD car.

If I were in the market for a daily use truck with a V8, the Hemi Ram would certainly get a serious look.