Wireing for Caspers audible knock detector?

Lee Thompson

Got a new one Friday--planned on install today--conflicting info as to where to splice in signal wire. Written instructions say to connect to A6--picture says B7--WTF, why do people have to complicate such a simple thing. I would very much appreciate it if some helpfull soul would clear this up. Thanks

John

I know in advance that I'm not very bright--but the instruction sheet that came with the part is different from the one in the link, so please don't make me look like an idiot when you send misprinted instructions. Kinda like talking to Red Armstrong. But anyway, thanks for the quick reply.

Hmmm...different. I'll check that out first thing Monday. I don't doubt it. Too much information :)

The original question was for the Audible knock detector and not the gauge.

The intructions are located here:

http://www.installationinstructions.com/102010.pdf
I think Lee Thompson is correct in that the instructions that come with the audible knock gauge have the text incorrect but the diagram is correct.

The Yellow and Black wire from the Audible knock gauge do indeed go to the yellow and black wire on the ECM.

But notice in the third paragraph in the instructions : "Locate the wire at the A6 terminal (PINK/BLACK STRIPE). Strip back about 1/2 inch of insulation from this wire, about two inches away from the connector. You may need to peel back some of the tape wrapped around the wires. You will solder the Yellow/Black Stripe wire from the audible unit to this wire."

A6 is the +12v power to the ECM and the Yellow/black stripe wire from the unit is the knock signal wire and should not be soldered together.

:confused:

Yellow on the knock detector goes to the B7 wire. Yes I too was confused, and it didn't make any sense, since it replaced my knock gauge that goes directly to the B7 wire.

Oh, and I even hooked the red on the radio's yellow power lead. Sometimes the detector beeps at me on start up.

My Caspers audible knock detector worked fine for 6-8 months but now goes off sometimes when I "punch it",even if SM shows little or nothing, and then won't go off until I pull over, shut the car off and restart the car. Called Caspers and they told me to be sure signal wire was soldered properly. I checked this weekend, connection looked good but resoldered anyway, same problem. An ideas? Is this a common problem? Kind of a PITA.

My Caspers audible knock detector worked fine for 6-8 months but now goes off sometimes when I "punch it",even if SM shows little or nothing, and then won't go off until I pull over, shut the car off and restart the car. Called Caspers and they told me to be sure signal wire was soldered properly. I checked this weekend, connection looked good but resoldered anyway, same problem. An ideas? Is this a common problem? Kind of a PITA.

Also check the ground wire. I have an added fuse box on back of the glove compartment & once in a while when I start the car or hit a big bump it will beep so I open & close the glove box to get it to reset & I'm pretty sure it's just the ground wire. I don't mind because this way I know it's working!