Caspers Audible Knock Detector

TurboV6Olds

I recently installed a Caspers audible knock detector amd was wanting to know if anyone else has one and if so is it worth it. The instructions say that it will warn you at moderate and severe levels but what is considered moderate? I ran the car yesterday after installing a new PTC converter but didn't get far before I had to head back home because of rain. I ran the car a couple of times for very short bursts and got about 1 deg of knock at about 68 mph but the knock detector never sounded. Could this have been false knock that the detector did not pick up? I have had ALOT of issues with this car and don't want to break anything without enjoying it for a while. It's just hard for me to watch all the gauges I have that is why I went with the audible detector. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

I've had one for years and LOVE it!!!.... i have too much other stuff to look at and it really helps having something audible so that i can pay attention to my WBo2, FP and boost...hth

aaron

I have the audible knock sensor also sometimes on start up it beeps !!!! I gues it picks up noise from my exaust!! I put it to the test with high boost low boost and 116 while watching my scanner !! What I noticed is when I use 93 oct from mobil or sunoco exxon etc... At 20 psi I get knock the alarm beeped and seen it on my scanner since then I have switched to hess fuel 22psi and no knock what so ever!!!!!! So I know thatt alarm is accurate !!!! But still at times at high rpm I get knock since then I have installed alky and still watch for knock .trust me that knock alarm saved me many times its worth it a gauge is hard to see when your racing but that beep you will always hear!!! Hope this helps you a bit

I'm glad this question was posted because I bought one from the nats last year and haven't installed it yet! I'll be getting to that real soon, glad to hear good things about it

I recently installed a Caspers audible knock detector amd was wanting to know if anyone else has one and if so is it worth it. The instructions say that it will warn you at moderate and severe levels but what is considered moderate? I ran the car yesterday after installing a new PTC converter but didn't get far before I had to head back home because of rain. I ran the car a couple of times for very short bursts and got about 1 deg of knock at about 68 mph but the knock detector never sounded. Could this have been false knock that the detector did not pick up? I have had ALOT of issues with this car and don't want to break anything without enjoying it for a while. It's just hard for me to watch all the gauges I have that is why I went with the audible detector. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

found this old thread.

Caspers Audible Knock Detector Installed.....6KR=No Beep! - TurboBuicks.com

i did not read the turbobuicks link but i will tell you this. sometimes the audible will go off while you see nothing on scanmaster and vice versa. so many times i've been wanting to cut out the audible cause it drives me nuts so tune for zero knock. i have beat the crap out of my spare motor that i have in my car right now and each time i pull out when she screams no matter what and she lives to my astonishment..lol. octane or alky are the best cures for knock over stock boost.

I find that they don't sound unless you are sustaining ~5° of knock. If you hit 5° and it goes away or significantly reduces the next frame then you won't get a beep. I like it. I know that if my eye isn't on the scanmaster and I hear that beep that it is time to let off. False knock doesn't last long enough to set it off. The key to not have start up beeping is to use a power source that is +12v through cranking.

Thanks to everyone with your replies. I don't like seeing any knock but sometimes it happens and I wanted to be able to hear it. Hopefully it will work for me and not let me down. Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Rick

I bought one and have not put it in yet. I have read a lot about it and it seems that it is an AID. DO NOT count on it solely to lift. The scanmaster (or other ECM reader) in conjunction with the knock detector seems to be the way to go. Tune for NO knock and then use the sensor as a backup to any unwanted knock that gets through.
Some people wire it to a constant 12V source as to not beep upon startup and others like the beep to know that it is working. Your choice. When I get it installed I can probably be more helpful.
A good way to find out if you have real knock is to find a nice flat, non-pot holed road, and go WOT when you are already doing about 40-50MPH. This minimizes anything banging against things. If you have real knock the knock should be increasing, not just a couple of degrees and then falling off.

I had run both for a while, the gauge and the audible. I found every time the audible sounded, My eyes would look for the knock gauge value instead of the other gauges for a problem about to happen! Sold the gauge!:D