Windows XP

coldair85GN

fast85GN
I like so many others am trying to figure out how to make Directscan work on a laptop that has XP installed so here is a question I have. Can XP be installed without being in NTFS since apparently this is one of the problems. Next is...if that is possible...then can I set up my computer to give me a boot option of Windows XP or Directscan? The computer is a Gateway Solo 3150 running a Pentium II 366 processor with 288 meg of ram, CD rom/DVD combo drive, and a wireless G PCI card. I want to use this computer for tuning my car while in the car and then for internet access when not in the car.
I have a copy of Windows 2000 Professional I COULD install but XP runs so much nicer and looks so much better!!! I have tried to find a way to boot to the USB port but the BIOS only allows boot to CD-rom, A or C drive. There is not an option to boot to "other" devices.

coldair85GN said:
I like so many others am trying to figure out how to make Directscan work on a laptop that has XP installed so here is a question I have. Can XP be installed without being in NTFS since apparently this is one of the problems. Next is...if that is possible...then can I set up my computer to give me a boot option of Windows XP or Directscan? The computer is a Gateway Solo 3150 running a Pentium II 366 processor with 288 meg of ram, CD rom/DVD combo drive, and a wireless G PCI card. I want to use this computer for tuning my car while in the car and then for internet access when not in the car.
I have a copy of Windows 2000 Professional I COULD install but XP runs so much nicer and looks so much better!!! I have tried to find a way to boot to the USB port but the BIOS only allows boot to CD-rom, A or C drive. There is not an option to boot to "other" devices.

Here at work we had a XP box in FAT32, so yes. What the issue with XP and direct scan. XP does have a compatible option see attached...

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 163
Since I have played with this a little.... I will chime in...... you can crank up DS in XP with win95 compatibility mode..... you can open a DS file.... look at the buffer..... do whatever you want in there...... but when you attempt to do a realtime display.... it will lock up DS.... the clock inside DS quits counting..... I had to hit the windows desktop key to get out of there......

Sooooooo .......vacuum 6..... did you actually have it in your car and do a realtime display.... like make a logging run... and save it (the log)? I got tired of messing with it.... so I wiped my hard drive.... made a 1g FAT32 partition.... loaded 98SE..... then loaded XP on the remaining NTFS 11 gig partition I created...... now I have a functional dual boot that works great......

FWIW... it is sad you must jump through that many hoops for DS... but it is a great program for our cars...... unmatched by any of the other products on the market.... short of an aftermarket ECM.....

Blazer406 said:
Sooooooo .......vacuum 6..... did you actually have it in your car and do a realtime display.... like make a logging run... and save it (the log)? I got tired of messing with it.... so I wiped my hard drive.... made a 1g FAT32 partition.... loaded 98SE..... then loaded XP on the remaining NTFS 11 gig partition I created...... now I have a functional dual boot that works great......

No, I've taken a few advanced XP/2003 computer class for work. I use OTC 2000.