Window tint?

86grdnatl

Just wanted to see how many of you on here went ahead and got the windows tinted on your cars. I think that my 86gn would look good with 20% tint but others have told me that classic cars shouldnt be tinted. Any advice?

What color is your car. I think black looks good but everyone does it...

Now if your cars white I would be asking you why you havent done it yet :D

I got slammed $195 bucks on my way to Norwalk 2 years ago. 3 Grand Nationals in a row...all tinted windows...I get pulled over. Other 2 cars had stock wheels ( 84 alum)...stock ride height...stock appearing. My car...custom rims...lowered...headlight shields...equals "TARGET".:mad:
****ATTENTION...ROCKY RIVER POLICE outside Cleveland, Ohio YOU SUCK!!!********************

I had it reduced from what it was. I actually like it better. Cant remember the %.

Just wanted to see how many of you on here went ahead and got the windows tinted on your cars. I think that my 86gn would look good with 20% tint but others have told me that classic cars shouldnt be tinted. Any advice?
I don't like window tint. It usually looks like crap in a few years.

My car is black, and i think it would look sharp with tint. Im starting to feel like im driving around in a fishbowl without any tint on it.....Megawatt your car looks great. That is how i want mine to look after i get the windows done and a new paint job

I don't like window tint. It usually looks like crap in a few years.

The place that i go to has a lifetime warranty on the tint as long as you keep the receipt. I just dont like everyone looking at me when im driving around town haha

hello; I have a 86 TT and I think it came stock with some sort of factory tint. But I was thinking of a slight tint. Can you tint the rear glass? How about tinting over rear defrost rear windows.
IBBY

hello; I have a 86 TT and I think it came stock with some sort of factory tint. But I was thinking of a slight tint. Can you tint the rear glass? How about tinting over rear defrost rear windows.
IBBY

They can tint whatever you want. When I got my car all the windows probably had about 20% including the t-tops and I really like that because when I do eventually drive it:rolleyes: I wont have the sun beating down on me.

Most states legal limit is 35%. If your side windows are factory tinted, you can probably only put 50% over that and still be legal. 20% is a good level, dark enough to look good and add privacy but light enough to see out of at night. If you have classic or historic tags and inspection is not required you can get what you like but I'm told you can still be ticketed for tint if your stopped.

Here is my 87 GN with rear window being tinted and both doors are lightly tinted, and has some etching. I don't know what % since it's been on the car for 24 years.

Attachments

• 87 GN 073.jpg
    87 GN 073.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 405
GNONYX said:
Here is my 87 GN with rear window being tinted and both doors are lightly tinted, and has some etching. I don't know what % since it's been on the car for 24 years.

My side windows are tinted darker than your rear. I can barely see left or right at night. I found a gutless in the scrap and I want to take the windows from it.

I had Mirror tint on my 1984 but that was over a decade ago I liked it on a blue car. My GN has 5% limo tint and I love it. Don't have to worry about my interior fading and can see out fine. Never had a problem with the cops but in those Hick towns they must have nothing better to do. Its a 25 yr old car I would tell anybody the tint is on the car cause I spent good money on a nice interior and want to keep it that way. Or better yet you can tell them you have been diagnosed with skin cancer on your arm and it's for health reasons!!! Its got UV
ray protection in it.

i can't imagine my dark blue T Type without the dark tint on it.. no cop has ever said a word about it, and it sure helps keep the interior cool in the sun.. also, it helps when Billy Bob and his jacked up Duramxx tailgates me with his high beams on..

I put limo (5%) all the way around on mine. Legal limit here in Texas is 25% on the front windows and as dark as you want on the back. Helps tremendously during the summer, it's definitely something to get used to driving with it at night though. Only pictures I have right now.

ForumRunner_20120903_020903.png

ForumRunner_20120903_020824.png

My windows are tinted about 20% ( I believe) it's below the legal limit in Washington state- Never had a problem with police... appears dark on black car, but can still see through it...

Not the best pic- but you get the idea... ;- )

Attachments

• window tint 015.jpg
    window tint 015.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 355
I got my car with some weird blue tint from the late 80s it's in good shape but i don't like the color and i'm afraid to take it off because i don't know what if anything will remain on the windows.

All depends where you live, Some state's it's illegal..

Bonus of Tint:

Cooler an Faster A/C temps
Saves your Interior Color from fading
If dark enough, more privacy
On a Buick GN it Looks Bad Arse!! instead of looking like a fish bowl in Black frame

Cons of Tinting,
If have Rear Defrost,Impossible to replace after long period time
If have pour vision ,night driving can be difficult
If go too dark you'll get pulled over a lot

Be sure you go to a place that offers a lifetime warranty,an plans on staying in business that lifetime!!!

I went 5% on rear an probly go just a little lighter on sides to please State Troopers,I opted for a strip on front windshield too..

Enjoy!