WINADL.. Scan tool

dwithers

Has anyone tried the WINADL scan tool? If you are not familiar with it, it's a free software download that requires about 10 dollars worth of parts from you local electronic store.

Here is the link. http://www.winaldl.webhop.net/

If you don't want to build the cable, you can purchase one for $37 from his website.

I was thinking of trying it since it's so cheap. I did a search on this site and came up with nothing. I'm not sure if that tells me something or not.....

I made it. It works ok. Not fantastic but ok. Probably a little beneath Scanmaster. Seems to just continuously log. Not bad if you don't have anything else at your disposal.

John M.

Did you use the first diagram on their webpage or the second? They have two ways of doing it. One with a 12 volt power supply and one without it.

I plan on building one this weekend and I figured I would ask? Any thing you learn from doing it and would do it different next time around?

I used the second diagram (the one without the 12v external supply; the diagram says Jonas Bylund 2001/2003 in the lower right corner). Don't use the R3 resistor; it will cause the car to go into some radical limp mode. Bad stuff. Outside of that just stick the wires in and you're rockin'. It has a little dashboard with a speedo and something else. That window doesn't work right unless he's changed it lately.

Works great!!

I use WINALDL when testing any changes. Just save all of your data (start logging) then play around with it in excel or another graphing program. I also have this connected to the back of the ALDL then out to a CAT5 female jack on my console, looks pretty cool. The CAT5 then goes to the adapter on the back of the laptop or the computer inside the house. I plan on getting a scanmaster also because I don't always have the lappy with me.

John Larkin and klrv6

I built the cable yesterday. They TPS settings are way off. My settings are correct when using the OTC scanner. Using WinALDL, it's way off. Shows -2.7 at idle and like 9.9 when driving around. Again, OTC is correct.

Any ideas?

I figured it out. The only way you can get voltage for TPS is to use the sensor data tab. If you look at your TPS data from the spreadsheet it shows percent instead of voltage. 0% is .41 and 100% is 4.60. However, you can set your low and high settings if you want.