Why GNX??

SVORay said:
You're right, the GNX is like a Rembrant, I'm just saying I don't agree with it's Rembrant pricing.

Well---you can pay now---or pay 2,3,4 times later

SVORay said:
You're right, the GNX is like a Rembrant, I'm just saying I don't agree with it's Rembrant pricing.

What you are missing is that to some people $75-100K is not a lot of money.

FHW said:
The GNX is a Rembrandt painted by G.M. ,If you dont get it thats to bad. :wink:
Myself I could care less if it was worth 20k or150k.
I grow up with the 60 muscle cars but I'll just cruise in the GNX thank you.
I have a 10 sec G.N...........Who cares :biggrin:

Congrats! You have the perfect attitude!!! Drive 'em and enjoy them! I'm with you. I race my WE4 and cruise every chance I get in my GSX. I even race the GSX once in a while to give it some "excercise".

Some people buy cars as "investments" and some do not drive or enjoy them. That's pretty poor investment logic. Example: Most GNX's sold for about 40K. The Dow average on the stock market was 2,200 in 1987. It's now over 5 times that. If you invested your 40k back then in a decent mutual fund, you'd have well over $200,000 now. Imagine if you bought a piece of property in 1987 for 49k!

Paul

Haynesie said:
my brother has an 88 turbocoupe (tbird) almost the same engine setup as the SVO i think the turbocharger was different however...that car is worth about 1500 dollars...
I think what give the GNX a little more of a value...lot more of a value is the fact that it was incredibly hyped up, incredibly fast, and incredibly cooler than the afore mentioned cars, not to mention it wasnt a mid 80s ford

don't forget.
what above all makes the GNX is the GN,t-type and turbo regals. if the GNX came alone (1-547)
every one here minus 547 would up playing with chevys and fords.

its the thought of how the GN dominated the compitition and how theirs one out their thats is a little better.

slowcar said:
These cars were manufactured 20 years ago... there are not 25k GN'S around anymore...

There isn't 547 GNX around either.

slowcar said:
infact I see about 2 a month rolling down the road here in Fla. a very populated area with tons of money and cars ... and those two Gn's are always the same Gn's I saw the month before..... same owners same cars... in essence the cars are rare ... many were destroyed and stolen and many were beat on and wrecked..The GNX's are rare .. only 547 built at the ASC factory and all were regular GN'S prior to the add-ons...but how many mint complete GN'S do you think there are floating around?? Well my guess is probably just a few more then Gnx's ...a low number by far.....and think of the Limiteds.. wow... what a rare car ... only 1035 plush interior Limiteds made in 87.. probably less then a few hundred remaining and the ones with leather...less then 50 in existence.... think about it... what is rare and desirable to some is nothing to someone else.....The GNX is rolling now....money is being thrown at it....the nostalgia is high... but in the end those other cars are going to fly in value.... think of the Hemis... anything with a Hemi is worth in excess of $150k and the bench seat ones with low numbers are worth the most.......

The GNX is the top of the line of the Turbo Regals. It has higher stock performance (true collectors want 100% stock) and enough differences to distinguish itself. Rare doesn't necessarily mean it worth more especially when it comes to lower models. Chevy made more 67 427/435 Corvette's than all but one of the 327 motors. What do you think is worth more? Peopel don't care if the 327 came with rare options, they care about the top of the line vehicle.

The good news is the price of the GNX going up will only help collectible Gn's price increase as well.

GNX 233 said:
That is like saying back in 1985, who cares about a Hemi Cuda. Well we all know how that turned out. Well I care about the GNX.
I think that sums it up. In another 15 years, even those dime a dozen regular old grand nationals that you see all over rotting in peoples yards.... they will be a hot item. I might just have a plain old gn now... but in 15 years eveyone else can suck it easy.

I think its all disgusting.

For lack of a better phrase "Its piss poor disgusting actually"

Most here are actual enthusiasts who tend to actually drive their cars out on real roads in the real world.

Retards who have nothing better to do than jack up prices because they suffer from "mine is bigger then yours ebay/barret jackson auctionitis"

These are the same dimwits who brag of owning a Hemi/GNX/etc and so forth, yet pick the rocks from the tires on their Fri nites for amusement while wondering what it would be like to drive their "fill in the blank" instead of actually doing it.

Tell me all about what you have or what you own, but I'll laugh at you until I see you going sideways giggling like a school girl cause you arent afriad to stretch its legs every now and then.

This applies to almost the entire "Muscle car" market now.

Its sad. Too bad its only another bubble waiting to burst, so get your money now.

The Blob said:
What you are missing is that to some people $75-100K is not a lot of money.

It's not that we don't have the funds to buy a few of these cars, we simply don't see it as a reliable investment. That whole B.Jackson auction deal started raising the prices on everything. Now every joe/jane wants top dollar for their rust bucket out back. If I was banking on making some cash off a GNX, I would cash out now while I could...That is what I should have done with my Erron stock. Oh well, you live, you learn!

Sum of its parts

The question was "Why a GNX?" Is the GNX more than the sum of its parts? Is it an investment, an object d'art, a Bugatti Veyron in black clothing or just another dressed up GN? I think one responder sumed it up properly when he said it is different things to different people.

As far as it being an investment, I was looking for a GNX in 1990 because my father always drove a Buick, my father-in-law worked at a Buick agency for 40 years and it was the only Buick I could see myself enjoying (from a performance perspective). When they first came out, several people did buy them as an investment and many were advertised at $80,000. According to the sales mgr of one of my local Phila. Buick agencies (Kutner), they sold theirs sight unseen to a dentist in NY who sent a deposit check for $5000. Then they had thoughts it would soar in price so they bought back his purchase rights for $10,000 (all this before it arrived). All the sales mgr said was that they took a loss on the sale. As you are aware, those folks back then were lucky to get $35,000-a rather poor investment. I think the current increase in price was a surprise due to changing demographics and limited supply rather than any fiscal planning. Will it go up in price? Who knows but mine has mostly become a garage queen because of parts availability (I like to keep it 100% stock) and the theft rate. I take it out to shows/BCA meets. The sale value means little to me (the kids will benefit if at all)-it is still fun to drive.

3.8TransAM said:
For lack of a better phrase "Its piss poor disgusting actually"

Most here are actual enthusiasts who tend to actually drive their cars out on real roads in the real world.

Retards who have nothing better to do than jack up prices because they suffer from "mine is bigger then yours ebay/barret jackson auctionitis"

People might be jacking up the prices, but you have to have buyer & seller for sales to go through. Sellers can jack the price up as much as they want but they have to have buyer willing to pay the price. This economics of supply & demand.

As for price being at a peak, it very well maybe, but it wouldn't be the first time Muscle cars have fallen in prices, the late 80's saw a muscle car boom only to have priced receed during the 90's.

IMO Prices may have peaks and valley, but GNX's will always have a demand and be top dawg in term of turbo regals, GN's will always have a lrage following as well. Both of those cars have been popular since new. The demand keep the prices high. All those cars get driven, wrecked, rusted are slowly reducing the supply of the Turbo regals thus raising the price. I can tell you from looking at local Turbo regals 10 years ago vs today, there are a lot less for sale. I remember 10 years ago looking at GN with my friend, their were atleast 15+ local ones fs. I recently look with a friend, we only saw 3 local ones now.

dgoodhue said:
I recently look with a friend, we only saw 3 local ones now.

I've been entertaining the GN for about 10 years my self...sorry to be so late but I had other things to do instead. Anyways, I've noticed about the same thing...heck you don't even see people cruising around in them like you use to. Anyways, I think now days people like my self has more desposible income and why the high prices of cars like this and other muscle cars. Now days I've gotten back into comic collecting...one of these days I'll grow up :tongue: Anyhow, I used to could never aford Key comics. We've finnaly gotten to a point where we got way more desposible income than we've ever had. So now I started buying up those Key book I feel I can let the funds go for. No, I'm not going to shell out a million bux on an Action comics #1 or Detective Comics #27, but I do buy stuff like Hulk 181's ( first Wolverine) and the entire Amazing Spider-man collection. I think the same holds true for muscle cars...exspecaily something like the GN/GNX's! These cars was the end of the muscle car era but started the whole turbocharged small cubed motor craz also.

2QUICK2B6 said:
well not long ago you could pick up a very nice driver for 30-35k look @ the prices now. If you wont to be like everyone else get a GN. If you like rare collectable cars and can afford a GNX get one. I live in a very small populated area in SC i can name off 10 GN's i see regularly . And atlest 3-4 rotting in peoples yard. I dont see how you can call an 87 GN rare.

I might see one all summer. If I saw a GNX I'd be happier than when I see a Bentley or Ferrari. The Bentley or Ferarri driver is showing his money off, the GNX owner is a true conisseur of fine auto's in my opinion.

To not understand the GNXs value, or any "collector car" is to not fully comprehend supply and demand. It actually IS that simple. They are worth more, because there is less, and to the people who have a fair amount of disposable or investable income, its the purchase to have as far as 80s cars go. If you dont get where the $50K+ is on the car, then it really isn't a car for you .(No insult meant) Is it disgusting? Only if you want one, and cant see thats the beauty of it, it WAS obtainable, and now is virtually unobtainable. It to most "car people" is a unicorn, a car of fables, tales, and dreams...sure you could put an antler on a horse, but its not the same.
And yes, I recently sold a GNX myself....I had enjoyed driving(minimally) one first hand. Do I see the value? Your darn skippy.....but not as a driver unless it was at some point already, thats what a GN is for....modded or stock.

Rare it is, Just depends on where you live

2QUICK2B6 said:
. I live in a very small populated area in SC i can name off 10 GN's i see regularly . And atlest 3-4 rotting in peoples yard. I dont see how you can call an 87 GN rare.
I read a guy sees two a month, you say you see 10 GN's regulary, Mann We would be lucky to see 2 a year or even 1, and I am all over Southern California on the freeways and different cities, Let alone a Turbo T or Turbo Buick.
It has to be the geography of where we are all located. The only time I have ever seen a Grand National in California was at a show and I also lived in Northern California for a year, so I didnt see one until I got mine, and I bought mine in TEXAS, I just seen an older lady driving one on the freeway about 4-5 Months ago, You never ever see these cars out here unless it is when we all meet up, and that is it.
When I went to Virginia I seen 3 in a matter of 1 Month, so it has to be where we live.

I think it's these crazy auctions that are causing an ARTIFICIAL hike in value on these cars.(Any mucle car for that matter) Yes a 100pt show gnx with a few 100 or a thousand miles might be worth 60+, but you are seeing 15,000 mile ones selling on e-bay for that. I think that's nuts. (vary good for the seller :D ) What happens is that a few people get into a bidding war and presto you have an instant value of 80k, others then base their selling price on that auction and the trend continues. NADA and kelly only list HIGH value for a GNX as $48,000 with a 100pt car not represented but of a higher value. Also anything collectible is only worth what someone will pay for it, and right now people are willing to pay these crazy prices. I'll wait untill the bottom drops out and then make my move :D

Remember a 100pt GNX w a single piece of OEM paper work missing may be LESS valuable than a 95 point one w/ the jacket and all the paper work from what I hear from buyers and real collectors...what makes a GNX have huge REAL value (Which is what one can regularly achieve and a seller can expect) is the extensive paper trail of production, and post production, and a matching jacket.
When I sold #103 recently, we had lost the jacket...that ugly members only jacket cost us 3k-5K.This is one of a few things that makes the GNX worth so much, its not just the vents, flares, and perf upgrades. No one picked apart the horrible OEM paint job, they all went to paper work, jacket, and then personal detail areas of inspection.
What Barrett Jackson, and other markets are doing is adding a small false value due to thier 8%+/- taxing they are taking off the top. Aside from that, you are seeing real value, if it werent, it wouldnt be so high price, because it takes 2 to make a bid high.
I dont wanna sound like a jerk, but the car is worth what you can get, it really is that simple. Inflated, super cheap, or like I had to sell, somewhere in the middle, they are worth whatever the buyer will pay. They obviousally are only getting MORE popular, and all the fuss will make thier value skyrocket especially as the consumer gets more educated, and time makes it harder to keep one like new. It wont be 10 years before a clean low mile (5000 and less) will be a $100,000 car as a base. Its simple economics.

When I think of the price of a GNX, I compare that to the cost of today's new cars and what you could buy for your money. Most GNX's are so well taken care of that it's like buying a new car. So do you want a GNX or a new mustang, new corvette, etc. etc. I picked and still would pick the GNX.

GNsandRamcharger.jpg

FHW said:
When I think of the price of a GNX, I compare that to the cost of today's new cars and what you could buy for your money. Most GNX's are so well taken care of that it's like buying a new car. So do you want a GNX or a new mustang, new corvette, etc. etc. I picked and still would pick the GNX.

GNsandRamcharger.jpg
Also the fact that almost NO new car you will buy today can you feel safe its value will rise like the GNX has, and will do. Even the new Z06 is a maybe in this area...I mean who'd thought that ZR1s that were $15k to $20K over sticker in 89/90 would be worth only $25k-$30k now. A ford GT may rise, but not to the % increase the GNX has, and still has left to do.