Who will be the first in the 8's

Great Air at that track. National Records are always set there. Richie and Don should beat their best times if the track is there.

Having been to Gainesville for a few TnT nights it seems to hook pretty well, guess we'll find out. My dad and bro will be going to spectate but I will be stuck working:mad: Hope Richie and Don can lay down some good passes!:cool:

Dusty everyone knows that the 109 is being pushed to its limits. There are many of these guys who have more than 1 race and 1 season on the shortblock all the TSM guys I know run down a long track where its much harder on their equipment. I do see that your engine has a couple years on it so I would think you would understand that you have raced it more than 1 race or 1 season close to the reference ET I posted. I am sure that you do not understand from your post that to run 5.90-6.0-6.12 that is a function of HP traction etc. Thats is about a 50hp depending on the calculator used that assumes perfect traction. You think that 27psi is safe at 24deg timing maybe it is maybe it is not. Every car is different. Bottom line is the HP is about the same to run the same numbers as everyone else. Some are running 30 some 27 some 35 and so on. All make close to the same HP again every car is different. So too assume that you are stressing parts much less, have less cylinder pressure, less back pressure etc. etc. making the same HP as other guys cause you deem your tune to be safer simply because of a boost and timing level is crazy IMO. Your story tell it how you want. As far as the MPH and ETs of all the guys I have no idea about every pass. I can say they showed up at a TSM race, more than once, ran side by side on a pro tree to get their numbers for the record. They did not just jump on the internet and TOOT their own horn about their performance. "Dont tell me what you can do Show me what you can do". Last word is all yours. I am done.

Makes sense to me, but then what do I know I'm just a stupid engine builder!

Thanks for the clarification of what you were saying Lonnie. I took it as you were blaming the tune for the block cracking. We had not pushed the limits of this motor until this year. It has been used for converter testing so we left the somewhat easy tune in it for comparisons sake. Neither Chris or I can take the time from work to travel for the TSM points races and really aren't interested in traveling that much so you won't see us out more than 2-3 events a year. We have a local class that pays much more than any TSM event so why travel.... This car has been beat for 2 years but we never really pushed it until a few weeks before Reynolds with intentions of coming after the record. You sure don't have to explain power to me as I know it's et and not the tune that tortures these motors. We pushed the limits and the block failed. Taking what we learned the new motor will be set-up slightly different. My point was that we were not running high timing or a leaner a/f to get the #'s.

My only issue with your post was the et's you claimed had been ran for 2 years and it simply wasn't true. The way I took your post was a 6.10 is in the ballpark of a 5.95 when it's actually 3 tenths in the 1/4. We had not seen 5.85-5.95 et's in the 1/8 for any amount of time for any racer. That would be 9.15-9.40 #'s at every event. I know it has happened in good air or occasionally but not for any length of time. I can believe 6.05-6.15 for lots of passes but the extra stress to get to the 5.90 range obviously is much harder on the blocks. We both know the leading et's happen and then the racers don't return for a while. The difference here is we actually shared our experience rather than hiding and acting like nothing happened.

We have been working on a TSM project for a year now. Got a little shaken after this block incident and other rumors flying around. After talking to Dan at DLS today though I feel confident to continue with the project. Between Jay's tune and the engine tech we have I feel confident now:biggrin:

I can believe 6.05-6.15 for lots of passes but the extra stress to get to the 5.90 range obviously is much harder on the blocks.

yep.. that is why mine is only running in the 6.04 to 6.15 range.. i have been there for the past year, i think we have about 100 passes in that 1/8 range..

we are running her at 32psi or so at 25* timing :).. she is still running strong..

My only issue with your post was the et's you claimed had been ran for 2 years and it simply wasn't true. The way I took your post was a 6.10 is in the ballpark of a 5.95 when it's actually 3 tenths in the 1/4. .
You get that extra 3 tenths out of the 70 in the quarter every pass I will be impressed. Not always the case. I agree to disagree. Racing the 70 in the 1/4 v/s 1/8 is big difference.

If you don't waste it by being on your back wheels and/or darting back and forth like your dodging traffic cones:)

Ain't that the truth.... I need to stop lining up against you..;) That's what causes it. Every other pass it goes straight.

Dusty, I don't think anybody has beat the snot out of their combo more than Kereny has. Since he has never cracked a block and set the record, I'm finding it hard to believe that 5.90 is where the block is going to fail. He ran 8.95 @ 156 last year on the same block (I heard second hand) he set the LEGAL TSM Record with. How many guys have cracked 109 blocks from overpowering them?

I agree they are pushed to the max, but the line can't be 5.90 definitively.

Dusty, I don't think anybody has beat the snot out of their combo more than Kereny has. Since he has never cracked a block and set the record, I'm finding it hard to believe that 5.90 is where the block is going to fail. He ran 8.95 @ 156 last year on the same block (I heard second hand) he set the LEGAL TSM Record with. How many guys have cracked 109 blocks from overpowering them?

I agree they are pushed to the max, but the line can't be 5.90 definitively.

I agree. Good question because nobodies talking if they hurt anything although we see cars drop like flies during elims. Another motor is going back in and we'll push it also. It could have been from the offset ground crank we used flexing. It could have been from the excessive chassis twist on launch stressing the block even with an anti-roll bar. We are making minor adjustments to address what may have caused it and using a better crank that's now available.

I know Kereny's combo better than most since we have worked together on his converter for the last year. He uses top notch stuff and it's purpose built to win and set records. He won't mind sharing that he has hurt his share of parts to get were he's at. I know others have hurt parts as well, it's what we do when we push the limits. The motor we ran in TSM was built 2 years ago to be a high 9 second combo and drive around town. The owner changed directions and we continued to stress a motor that wasn't put together to run low 9's.

We have yet to see someone run in the 5.90/9.30 range for an entire season so none of us can say what the limit is. We're looking to prove ourselves wrong by going at it again. I still feel 9.20-9.30 will take it's toll on the parts quickly. I hope other racers as well as ourselves can prove this wrong.

You get that extra 3 tenths out of the 70 in the quarter every pass I will be impressed. Not always the case. I agree to disagree. Racing the 70 in the 1/4 v/s 1/8 is big difference.

Looking back at some info it looks like we picked up right at .3 in the 1/4 by dropping the 1/8 .15 but the car was not 60 footing well. Looking at Dick's info he picked up .26 by dropping the 1/8 .15. Once you get the car running very hard to the 1/8 I agree it will be difficult to see double the et drop from 1/8 to 1/4. The farther you get into the 9's the more difficult it gets.

increasing the preload on the caps with the girdle will help support the main webbing.