Who will be the first in the 8's

DFISCUS

Just wondering who thinks the first person will be in the 8's with a TSM legal car? Man these things are getting fast. If I didn't already run TSO I think this would be a fun class to race.

Dave Fiscus

One thing fur sure,It wont be me!
My little Buick aint got the balls!
Maybe Dick will do it at the West Coast Nats this weekend.
It is a TSM Legal event I think.

Good thing there isnt a 109 outlaw class or his
8 sec 109 run wouldn't be a real record

It will happen before next year is over! Mr. K was sure close at 9.14...
If the Gun comes back or another car I know of gets finished one of the 3 will do it:wink:

Oh yeah, didn't mean to leave anyone out:biggrin: I wish I was in Reynolds to have seen all you guys going so fast, congrats again!

From what we've found you better have a back-up motor ready if you plan to run 9.2-9.3 every pass for more than 1 event. Glad Dick dodged that bullet but I feel the blocks are to the point where they are limited to a # of passes before cracking once you cross into the 5.9 1/8 range. We are now working on a few combo changes to make the car last longer and still run the # based on what we've seen on this teardown.

From what we've found you better have a back-up motor ready if you plan to run 9.2-9.3 every pass for more than 1 event. Glad Dick dodged that bullet but I feel the blocks are to the point where they are limited to a # of passes before cracking once you cross into the 5.9 1/8 range. We are now working on a few combo changes to make the car last longer and still run the # based on what we've seen on this teardown.

Phil M. all year in the 5.9-6.0 117mph range many passes on 2 year old engine. Lay all your cards on the table and Tune them to blow up and thats what they do.

Phil M. all year in the 5.9-6.0 117mph range many passes on 2 year old engine. Lay all your cards on the table and Tune them to blow up and thats what they do.

Really....27# of boost and 24* of timing is dangerous?? :rolleyes: You know as well as I do cracking a block on the main webs perfectly parallel with the oil feeds has nothing to do with tune up. Just like the 5.0 blocks splitting and the mains walking on SBC's...blocks can only handle so much. TSM cars are a ticking bomb in the low 9 range. Some blocks may be a tad stronger than others but it's just a question of when.

I think a good layer of gorilla glue will hold it all together;)

Blocks coming blowing up or not...Its gonna be hard to match the performances at Reynolds. The conditions were very good. I dont see these conditions coming up at any of the scheduled events, but for Reynolds 2008:biggrin:

Really....27# of boost and 24* of timing is dangerous?? :rolleyes: You know as well as I do cracking a block on the main webs perfectly parallel with the oil feeds has nothing to do with tune up. Just like the 5.0 blocks splitting and the mains walking on SBC's...blocks can only handle so much. TSM cars are a ticking bomb in the low 9 range. Some blocks may be a tad stronger than others but it's just a question of when.

Pointing out the fact that your statement was incorrect. There are many who have run 5.9-6.0s with the 109 you are not the first. Many of those guys have 1-2 years and many passes on their 109 in that 6.0 range and did not need a spare motor to finish a race or season. If you think that 5.90s is an easy pass on a 109 cause you are only running 27 lbs of manifold pressure and 24 deg of timing you will need rethink some things.

Blocks coming blowing up or not...Its gonna be hard to match the performances at Reynolds. The conditions were very good. I dont see these conditions coming up at any of the scheduled events, but for Reynolds 2008:biggrin:

I agree Louie thats why most of the guys up north make the trip down south. All of the TSM MPH and ET records written have been at Reynolds.

Very true. Next Saturday (Dec. 1st) at Gainesville for the BOPC event I'd venture to say the conditions could be similar. Too bad it's not an official TSM race:(

Very true. Next Saturday (Dec. 1st) at Gainesville for the BOPC event I'd venture to say the conditions could be similar. Too bad it's not an official TSM race:(

Great Air at that track. National Records are always set there. Richie and Don should beat their best times if the track is there.

Pointing out the fact that your statement was incorrect. There are many who have run 5.9-6.0s with the 109 you are not the first. Many of those guys have 1-2 years and many passes on their 109 in that 6.0 range and did not need a spare motor to finish a race or season. If you think that 5.90s is an easy pass on a 109 cause you are only running 27 lbs of manifold pressure and 24 deg of timing you will need rethink some things.

Your the one that said "tune it to blow up and that's what happens". The tune was as safe as one can be and make power. The blocks simply can't take it for long.

This car had been ran for the last 2 years in the 6.12 at 114 range. Very few guys have ran 5.90-5.95 before Reynolds this year. If you think a 6.05 is anywhere in the ball park to a 5.90 then you need to do more 1/8 mile racing. Take a look at Dick's pass. A 5.86 at 9.14 compared to a 5.96 and 9.33. It's not even close. If these guys were running. 5.98-6.00 passes we would have been seeing 9.3's all year and it never happened until Reynolds. If they did make any 5.95 or so passes at 117 like you say then the car never made it to the finish line because it would have been a 9.3 at 145 or so. Again 5.95 and 6.10 is a HUGE difference. Hell even 6.00 to 6.08 is huge Lonnie and if anybody should know this I would think it'd be you.

Your the one that said "tune it to blow up and that's what happens". The tune was as safe as one can be and make power. The blocks simply can't take it for long.

Dusty everyone knows that the 109 is being pushed to its limits. There are many of these guys who have more than 1 race and 1 season on the shortblock all the TSM guys I know run down a long track where its much harder on their equipment. I do see that your engine has a couple years on it so I would think you would understand that you have raced it more than 1 race or 1 season close to the reference ET I posted. I am sure that you do not understand from your post that to run 5.90-6.0-6.12 that is a function of HP traction etc. Thats is about a 50hp depending on the calculator used that assumes perfect traction. You think that 27psi is safe at 24deg timing maybe it is maybe it is not. Every car is different. Bottom line is the HP is about the same to run the same numbers as everyone else. Some are running 30 some 27 some 35 and so on. All make close to the same HP again every car is different. So too assume that you are stressing parts much less, have less cylinder pressure, less back pressure etc. etc. making the same HP as other guys cause you deem your tune to be safer simply because of a boost and timing level is crazy IMO. Your story tell it how you want. As far as the MPH and ETs of all the guys I have no idea about every pass. I can say they showed up at a TSM race, more than once, ran side by side on a pro tree to get their numbers for the record. They did not just jump on the internet and TOOT their own horn about their performance. "Dont tell me what you can do Show me what you can do". Last word is all yours. I am done.