Who has sold their TR and kicked themselves for it?

no doubt its a hard decision and yes I have somewhat of an addiction to these cars....which I think most all of us do:confused:.......

You have a good point "BuickMike" I agree these are still poor quality 80's cars and you will always fight those little issues....that does sometimes bother me and other times I just ignore it. I also find that there is always something a little off....for the most part my boost is never consistent...sometimes its right where it should be and other times it makes 4psi less which is a pain when your playing with your buddies on the street. Its always some little bug you have to chase.....over the years I have worked out all the major bugs but there is always something small to chase.

I agree these cars are not where they should be in value right now.....I could not take less than $16k for my car the way it is....It does need a fresh paint job but by the time im done I would need to get $20k and these things just are not bringing it.

These cars are addictive which is why I have been through 3 of them even when everyone told me to walk away after the second one got totaled.....I just love them even when I am pulling my hair out:dead:

The crapiest part of selling the car is selling the car......if someone just offered me the right amount I would probably let it go but the trouble of selling it takes the wind out of my sail.

My '69 vette will never go away......too much sentimental value in it.......it was my dads car for 20 plus years...he bought it when I was 6.....its part of my child hood and my pops. I find myself wanting to simply and reduce what I have to keep up......since my vette is what it is to me then the Buick would have to go.

Buying a new vette or something like it would be different.......no real up keep and no real attachments like my '69 or even the GN because honestly a new vette is not special like the Buick's its just another car.

I will always be wrenching on my '69...that's cause it's an old purpose built race car....as a matter of fact I have had the shifter in and out 10 times in the past few weeks.....just rebuilt the trans and its coming back out this weekend:banghead: but I don't mind so much wrench time....I enjoy it but when your doing it on 2 cars or more if your "Grumpy" it just wears you the Fu*k out!

Thanks for all the reply's! It really helps align things when you can hear lots of different point of views.

had mine for the last 21 yrs. its been a love hate relationship for all the usual reasons. I tried to sell it twice and had cash waiting for me to grab both times but when the time came I just couldn't grab the cash ( and pissed two guys off). the longer I have had it the more I like it. I honestly haven't tired of it yet. working on 1 kids college payback and With 2 more kids to go through college in the next 5 years cash is crazy tight and if I sell any of the toys the cash will undoubtedly be vacuumed into some college administrators coffers. no thanks GN running and looking better than ever now so its sale is the last thing on my mind.

I personally have a hard time getting rid of any car of truck.....once I get them I can not let go.....it took me forever to get rid of my rusty 75 Monte Carlo.

Life is short do what you really want to do ...
Might be time for another adventure

I understand your point about newer cars. My 2010 ss turbo camaro ran 11.98 (street tires ) and then got 24 mpgs on the way home hard to beat the new stuff. Drove her to Detroit and Canada 3 times I wouldn't even try that in my 69 or my GN. Best of both worlds

I thought about selling my cars but I never can follow through still have my 69 camaro, been 20 years so I see it both ways. Made alot of memories in my Camaros got engaged in the 69 brought my little guy home from the hospital in the 10, the GN was my 40th b day gift

Best of luck what ever way you decide to go

Last edited:
I guarantee to you that even though you got a C7, you will be regret if sold your GN. I have 69 Camaro, Benz SL, Benz S-Class and 2 GN low mileage, but the ones I enjoy the most are my GNs. They are the necks breaker when drive on the road in New Jersey. They have more attention than my 69 Camaro at every car show. I'm sure you will buy another GN after a short period of time after you got your C7. Good luck making your decision.

I like wrenching but on 2 cars is tough. I guess I just want something new that I can get in and drive and not have to touch anything and it hauls ass and does what it is supposed to do every single time.

I have been been building cars my whole life. Every time I build it all up and find a reason that it's not right for me. I basically build them newer and better each time. At some point about 2-3 year ago I did an '87 White T with a full 10 second setup. The car burned me out but I didn't want to sell it. I was moving to a bigger house so I sacrificed the T to make that dream come together. Than I build a fast Fox body, than an '04 Turbo Mustang with 700RWHP. I finally realized that I wouldn't be happy until I went to the dealership and bought a brand new Coyote Mustang so that's what I did earlier this year. That's the best move I have made to date. The smell, feeling, power, gadgets, potential and bragging rights are all worth owning it. The Modern Muscle that's out today is really something else. There's nothing like washing, claybarring and waxing a brand new car and having perfection front front to rear.

Now, with that being said, I really missed something older. I started looking for an old Chevy C10 to mess with as a no stress and low budget project on the side. When my brother found out I was looking for a project a few weeks ago he came forward and let me know that he wanted to sell his Grand National that he had for 10 years. He offered the car to me very cheap and now it's in my driveway with 2 covers on it.

I primarily drive and mess with my Mustang as I get pure satisfaction and nothing else when I come out and see it. I added full CobraJet suspension, Weld Wheels, Tune, Cold Air and GT500 Exhaust. The car ran 12.1 at 116 on motor with basically a tune and a tire. I am in the middle of putting on a 150 shot right now so it should go very low 11's at over 130ish when I feel like going to the track.

once or twice a week I pull the covers off the GN and start plucking parts for the rebuild I need to do. Time frame I set is next spring. The stress of having a project has never been so low. My wife thinks I've been much happier with the hobby since I worked it out this way.

Go test drive the C7. Than make a choice on which project you want hanging around. You'll miss GN just like I missed my White T. I have plans to keep this GN forever. The NEw Mustang I will enjoy until the next hot new Modern Muscle car hits. Gt350? Hellcat Challenger?

Here's my Junk

"RedLS1" that is a sweet looking Stang! very respectable numbers you ran with it also

Everything you described about how your Mustang makes you feel is what I want and that will just not happen with an old car because its old...LOL!

I already have an old car in my Vette and as I described it will never go away!

I think I may miss the hell out of my GN if I let it go but the feel of some new muscle may overwhelm that.

I have time and some interesting things are going on with work so I am not in any rush to make a decision......I will not make any real decisions until this year is over and then see how things look and how I feel.

I have rushed things like this in the past and sold vehicle I wish I had kept and I definitely do not want to do that here......

After buying my T just about two months ago. I've nnever even driven one or been in one. I still ask myself, should I sell it and go with something else. It's a stocker, but everytime I drive the thing , I love,it more and more. My buddies have badass sbc cars and I can't even tell if my car is running when they are next to me. But you know what, I see Chevelles and z28's daily. You don't see a light blue t top t type everyday. Well you will if you live in south jersey. I can't say like some of you guys owning these cars for a few decades. But everything has a price.

"RedLS1" that is a sweet looking Stang! very respectable numbers you ran with it also

Everything you described about how your Mustang makes you feel is what I want and that will just not happen with an old car because its old...LOL!

Thanks. It's the total truth. No matter how nice the old car is there's usually something about it that's not perfect. Whether it's the paint, the interior, the way a door rattles, the way it sits on the road, the smell of it or the fact that you can't row the gears on the highway at 100+.

The thing about this new car is that i'm 50/50 with it. Sometimes I drive it to work listening to talk radio with an OJ and breakfast sandwich like it's a Camry. At 9:00 that same night I'll hook up the data logger and head to the highway for some 80+mph Highway action which is a thrill that no old muscle car i've ever had has given me. I also have 2 car seats in the back of it and drive it with my 4 and 6 year old and wife on 1 hour trips with the air blasting.

My GN is my "new" muscle car. with kids in college Ill never have the money for a real new musclecar but drool at them every day I pass them at the dealerships on the way to work. I love to drive around in the GS455 which is a raw power blast to drive, but no AC, no pwr windows, or other creature comforts. The GN is loaded and its awesome to cruise in with the AC pumping and cruise control eeking out 20 mpg and concert sound pumping out the tunes.

ya still have them. BUT IF someone offered enuff $$$$ they would go. :D Remember I am old an the ol attention span isn't as good as it use to be. . See if they have em after 25/30 years!! Back in the dark ages we had an original 427 Cobra, 65 396/425hp Vette, 70 Mach 1 Cobra jets and a slew more including Buicks and TTA's. NEVER looked back. Kinda like been an an "had" it. :p
Funny how guys say they would NEVER sell their cars

Ah, but Grumpy, lookie here: I still have my '66 Corvette that I bought August 9th, 1972, and my '69 Corvette that I bought on April 9th, 1982! But, of course, I had to sell my ram air 1968 Firebird 400 just to get the '66 Vette. Plus, my first car, a 1934 Chevrolet sedan that my Dad never let me bring to the house. Sold it to a hot rodder. The Vettes, and my Grand National, NO WAY WILL THEY EVER PART FROM ME!!!! AMEN!:smug:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Funny how guys say they would NEVER sell their cars

Ah, but Grumpy, lookie here: I still have my '66 Corvette that I bought August 9th, 1972, and my '69 Corvette that I bought on April 9th, 1982! But, of course, I had to sell my ram air 1968 Firebird 400 just to get the '66 Vette. Plus, my first car, a 1934 Chevrolet sedan that my Dad never let me bring to the house. Sold it to a hot rodder. The Vettes, and my Grand National, NO WAY WILL THEY EVER PART FROM ME!!!! AMEN!:smug:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Boaring ... change is GOOD:eek: I still have a 66 Shelby GT 350 convert. Bought it in 74. My Dad looks at it every day ! :D

Have been debating to myself around the idea about cutting my 1,400 miler loose , but I know I will regret it , as I know I would never have another one like it again .Even though I don't drive it , well , did drive it 2 miles this year , LOL , still makes me happy knowing it's mine and just seeing it in the garage .
Every now and then I open the door to get a whiff of that " new car smell " !!!!! LOL .

Attachments

• out 1.JPG
    out 1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
Boaring ... change is GOOD:eek: I still have a 66 Shelby GT 350 convert. Bought it in 74. My Dad looks at it every day ! :D

Didn't they only make like 8 of those GT350 converts and weren't they all red w/ white stripe?

Wow. My uncle did a red tribute car that was nice. That gave him the idea of putting in the convertible rocker panels into a coupe for hidden stiffening. Nice car!

Question. I saw a British racing green 66 convertible with tan leather and a 302 w 8 Webber down drafts. Guy swore it was factory but I don't remember the story. Are you familiar? Looked like an early gt40 setup before they went big block.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

1966_GT350_Convert_Front.jpg
Wow. My uncle did a red tribute car that was nice. That gave him the idea of putting in the convertible rocker panels into a coupe for hidden stiffening. Nice car!

Question. I saw a British racing green 66 convertible with tan leather and a 302 w 8 Webber down drafts. Guy swore it was factory but I don't remember the story. Are you familiar? Looked like an early gt40 setup before they went big block.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

NOPE... FAKE.. Matter of fact the Green car was sold recently. He bought it in 1976. He did have a factory Paxton Supercharger on it. I am the longest owner of all of them.