Who has found the E85 boost limit?

My car over-maxed out the injectors at about 31lb's and I didn't have any problems. My 120's went to something like 110 IDC. The translator pro was throwing a lot of fuel at it.

As far as the original question I think Gabby Rojas has made a lot of 35 PSI passes on E85 on a stock crank and hasn't had problems.

I'll use this tool to test my E85 here in town, just for safety...my car isn't a DD so it won't be too much of a big deal to me.

This shows you the amount of ethanol, but not the octane rating. E85 differs from location to location and how long is sits from use. Now there is tons of speculation on the amount of octane. I have done research and have seen that E85 is rated at 105 octane and then again I have seen it rated at 114 octane. This is a hard fact to prove. Now there is race E85 that is suppose to be equal or higher octane than C116.....

Bob, 25 psi periodically may work for your build, your driving habits and your weather?

But with well ported heads with new valves, a 64 MM turbo, a WOT 1/4 mile blast [on the street] with the 2-3 shift at least 6000 RPM at 90 MPH or more, may NOT be the same situation as you encounter in your car.

This GN was probably putting out over 500 HP with at least 25 PSI+, and in my opinion it went past detonation and directly into preignition to totally blow the head gasket wide open and the spark plug electrode was MIA! :eek:

Having been the one that changed these head gaskets, and hundreds of others, it looked like an octane problem to me, more specifically LACK of octane. We have run a GN with a very similar build into the high 10's on 116 race gas, and it is still running fine. :)

There was no other issue in this fresh engine with fuel supply, valve train, tune or anything out of adjustment.

So Nick with your years of experience and engine building do you recommend E85 or decline the corn and run 116 octane Race Fuel? What do you prefer? Have you tried e85 on your test car?

As yet, I have not used e-85 at the track, but will do so in the next few months as we start our race season next month. ;)

The car I just finished has a roll bar and is built to be capable of low 10's, but will get there first with 116 octane.

The fuel system was built to run with e-85 at the 600+ HP level, and then we will see how fast we can go with e-85 and no damage. :cool:

Some of my friends are running 9's on e-85, and still drive their car on the street.

The goal of this project is to have a street car running on e-85, go to the track and run low 11's to high 10's with no changes. It will have all the HP needed, as it would then be traction limited from that point as a street performance car.

When I laid out the plan for this build, it is to be competitive in a local 1/8 mile street class, as well as a killer street performer.

This car has a TE-45A with a Garrett exhaust housing, a built rear end with 3.73 gears and suspension work, a frame notch for 11" tread DOT tires, and a 3800 stall converter, so it should come off the line, or leave a stoplight, like a rocket! :D

Just to be sure I would NOT run out of RPM, I also used a solid lifter billet roller cam. :eek:

This shows you the amount of ethanol, but not the octane rating. E85 differs from location to location and how long is sits from use. Now there is tons of speculation on the amount of octane. I have done research and have seen that E85 is rated at 105 octane and then again I have seen it rated at 114 octane. This is a hard fact to prove. Now there is race E85 that is suppose to be equal or higher octane than C116.....

I wonder who will be the first to build a sensor? Is there a formula to apply ? Can you send me some research material?

I run 28lbs of boost,27 degrees of spark advance in first and second,25 degrees in third. I can do anything with E85 and it spools twice as fast and makes more power and torque.

I run 28lbs of boost,27 degrees of spark advance in first and second,25 degrees in third. I can do anything with E85 and it spools twice as fast and makes more power and torque.
Wow...Did you find a lot of gains sending the timing up that far? Have you tried more boost at that timing level? Have you ever seen knock? Any 1/4 times? Any Dyno numbers? What is you IDC looking like? Sorry for all the questions :D

Wow...Did you find a lot of gains sending the timing up that far?

Just seat of pants.

Have you tried more boost at that timing level?

No.
Have you ever seen knock?

.7 degrees spark retard when tires spin in first through second.

Any 1/4 times?

With a 208/208 flat tappet cam,100 octane gasoline,21 lbs of boost,18 degrees of spark advance,I ran 10.90s at 123 mph. I haven't been to the track since roller,28 lbs,25 degrees,and E85.

Any Dyno numbers?

No.
What is you IDC looking like?

I bought some SMP injectors from a turbobuick.com member that have 120 lb/hr printed on the body. They walk like 95s and quack like 95s. They're 95s and run at 90 % duty cycle. What injectors do you have?

Just seat of pants. - Did it feel a lot faster?

.7 degrees spark retard when tires spin in first through second. Sounds like false knock. - Kinda what scares me about E85 is I haven't heard of any true knock with it which makes me think about the whole skip past knock and go straight to pre-ignition which could be catastrophic.

With a 208/208 flat tappet cam,100 octane gasoline,21 lbs of boost,18 degrees of spark advance,I ran 10.90s at 123 mph. I haven't been to the track since roller,28 lbs,25 degrees,and E85. - Damn nice at that low boost and low timing!

No.

I bought some SMP injectors from a turbobuick.com member that have 120 lb/hr printed on the body. They walk like 95s and quack like 95s. They're 95s and run at 95% duty cycle. What injectors do you have? - I have 120's and hit 110% IDC or so at around 31lb's I feel like they are maxing out way too easy for some reason. I figure possible culprits are the bottle neck at the fuel rail, weak power to the pump, or the external pump isn't keeping up (magnafuel 4301 that is supposed to be good for "1500 + HP". I'm thinking pump or fuel rail restriction, although the pump is rising at it should.

If your pressure rises as it should,you don't have a fuel delivery problem. You shouldn't max out 120s. I'm wondering if your injectors are not what you think they are. What brand are they?

If your pressure rises as it should,you don't have a fuel delivery problem. You shouldn't max out 120s. I'm wondering if your injectors are not what you think they are. What brand are they?
I want to say the Lucas/Delphi. I would have to take a look to be certain. I have to imagine they are indeed 120lbers since they worked with the chip out of the box.

Up to 32 psi on a bone stock motor here. TA49. E85 with a light top coat of methanol. 80lb injectors stock lines and Deatschwerks pump with good wiring.

blue8528.jpg

32psi2.jpg

32psi.jpg

BEATAV8 said:
fuel pressure data:

Which DW pump is this?? This thread is full of great E85 info. Moderator should make this one sticky for sure!!!!

Thanks to all you guys who are so generous with sharing your info and experiences.