Whining noise from tranny

frdstang93

Hi Everyone,

So there is a unique whining sound coming from my transmission, the sound is more prominent in reverse and the lower gears. The sound seems to fade as it reaches the higher gears. I also checked the dipstick and there is some metal in the fluid. It shifts perfectly normal and there is no slipping. Anyone have any ideas to what the problem may be?

Thanks,
Josh

there is some metal in the fluid. It shifts perfectly normal and there is no slipping.

You should have said "It shifts normal for now and it isn't slipping yet"
The metal in the fluid and the new noise means there is an issue that is trying to give you a warning before it leaves you on the side of the road. You know Buicks are nice like that!;)

Realy though, find out what is going on. it may be a lot less expence to fix it while it is still running than once it has broken.

Yeah, I'm learning the how kind the Buick can be very quickly.:smile: I was leaning towards something being wrong with the converter but I'm not sure.

Sounds like a problem with your torque converter. I'm pretty sure the bearings in your torque converter are bad. Same symptoms happened to me twice. The first time I sent my TC back to get it rebuilt and was good to go....they told me the Torrington bearings were shot. About a year and a half later the whining came back so I went with a PTC converter.:)

So if it does turn out to be the converter, once replaced can I just flush the trans out and be good to go?

frdstang93 said:
So if it does turn out to be the converter, once replaced can I just flush the trans out and be good to go?

If the fluid looks and smells fine right now and you have no other trans issues, IMO you should be ok to just flush the trans and change the filter.

Basically that's all I did both times my TC went bad, and had no issues with trans afterwards doing it that way.

Thanks, that makes me feel better.:smile: I wont be driving it at all until I get a converter. So what kind of converter should I get? I plan on going with a larger than stock turbo in the future, I am shooting for mid 11's.

Give Bruce @ PTS a call and get a 3000stall PTS 9x11 converter. If you plan anything larger than a PT61 you may need a larger converter unless it's going to be a ballbearing turbo. If we were at sea level, we might be able to get away with a 44 or a 49 turbo to get into the 11's, but we're stuck with high altitude and poor track prep:(

since the noise is in R and low 2 and 1 it sounds like Pressure regulator buzz. Its pretty common with these trannys. The metal in the fluid doesn't sound good, i would drop the pan and see what you have.

The metal on the dipstick is very fine and not there to the point that it thickens the fluid, but when wiped on a cloth or your finger it is visible.

Is the noise in Reverse & Low/1st? or R,1st,2nd?
R & 1st may be Low/Rear planetary going bad.
Check the pan to see what type, amount of metal. Steel, aluminum. A magnet can help.

It does it in R, 1st, 2nd and it may be doing it in the other gears but I cant hear it. I just looked at the documentation the previous owner gave me and the trans was rebuilt 5000 miles ago by a Buick dealership.

The PR buzz in itself is not going to hurt anything, its mostly an annoyance that you can maybe get rid of by replacing the pressure regulator assembly or possibly grinding off one of the lands on the valve itself. In my experience it seems more common in 7 vane pumps which is probably what GM used. But you need to drop the pan and see what kinda metal and how much is in there so that you can dertimine what it might be. It could be some type of clutch dust or something could be coming apart.

Ok Guys,

I dropped the pan and this is what I found. There was a pin in the pan that was broken in two and appears to be some type of needle bearing. And in the pictures you can see there are pieces of metal shards. This is not cool. Any ideas? Anyone?

Attachments

• DSCN0384.jpg
    DSCN0384.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCN0385.jpg
    DSCN0385.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCN0386.jpg
    DSCN0386.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN0387.jpg
    DSCN0387.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCN0388.jpg
    DSCN0388.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 230
That is from a thrust bearing and those pieces WILL damage the planetaries if they get trapped in there.

Could be. That is from a radial thrust bearing. One that lays "flat" and those little needles come out when the "captured" portion of the races separate from shock and they break out of the little cage they are in and get into all the places they shouldn't. If they get into the planetaries, there isn't enough room for the planet gears and outer ring gears and sun gears to mesh and things crunch and crack in a hurry. Then it gets expensive fast.